Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why you don't want to get in an accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 05:51 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default why you don't want to get in an accident

went by the bodyshop to see how my GT was doing. Saw this mess and had to take some photos.
It was hit in the back driver's side quarter panel. For some bizzare reason they had the wing, the back side window and fake gas cap off! They took off the rear portion of the side stripe. The guy said something about how hard it was to match Screaming Yellow. I'm like "yeah? try getting the right paint from Ford instead!!"
Anyway, I'm going to have them remove the factory stripes and replace them with my GT300 ones I got last month.
Keeping my fingers craossed that I get the car back tomorrow so I can take a drive up to Wine Country Santa Barbara.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/03664FBDA85C4E3BB5F8312653D20CF0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/F70C7E88F0A94D6087203714441D86C8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-13-2006, 09:08 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: why you don't want to get in an accident

Your body guy is on the ball. No matter where the paint comes from, it still has to be "blended" into the existing paint. "Ford" doesn't make the paint, they get it from DuPont or PPG or whomever. Everybody works with the same paint code data.

Taking off the wing and gas cap etc is the RIGHT way to do it......a cheater might try masking. He must blend the paint way beyond the damaged areas in order to have an invisible repair.

You ought to go by the body shop with a cup of coffee for the guy you insulted, apologize to him for your cluelessness, and tell him that you appreciate his craftsmanship.

There are plenty of reasons not to want to get into an accident, but insulting your tech when you don't have a clue will do nothing but make more trouble for yourself.

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

went by the bodyshop to see how my GT was doing. Saw this mess and had to take some photos.
It was hit in the back driver's side quarter panel. For some bizzare reason they had the wing, the back side window and fake gas cap off! They took off the rear portion of the side stripe. The guy said something about how hard it was to match Screaming Yellow. I'm like "yeah? try getting the right paint from Ford instead!!"
Anyway, I'm going to have them remove the factory stripes and replace them with my GT300 ones I got last month.
Keeping my fingers craossed that I get the car back tomorrow so I can take a drive up to Wine Country Santa Barbara.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

Yeah, every shade of screaming yellow is going to be slightly different. If the paint gun robot at ford shoots a red car before hand, the screaming yellow may be slightly darker. If it shoots a white car beforehand, it may be lighter.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:54 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Do factories still paint that way? I would think they paint colors in batches since they use the electrostatic process now .... basically they fill the paint booth with a cloud of positively charged paint particles ... then they run the body through with a negative charge .... every nook and cranny of the car gets covered with paint since the body attracts the oppositely charged particles ... and as far as matching ... generally the doors painted seperately .... also ... the bumper covers are painted by an OEM vendor and shipped to Ford in bulk for the assembly line ... All the colors on my yellow car match from the factory ... even though some parts are painted at different times by different painters and methods ... Oh ... and my Louvers match perfectly to painted by Joe Smoe at some mail order place .....
Old 09-13-2006, 10:53 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 6xStang

Your body guy is on the ball. No matter where the paint comes from, it still has to be "blended" into the existing paint. "Ford" doesn't make the paint, they get it from DuPont or PPG or whomever. Everybody works with the same paint code data.

Taking off the wing and gas cap etc is the RIGHT way to do it......a cheater might try masking. He must blend the paint way beyond the damaged areas in order to have an invisible repair.

You ought to go by the body shop with a cup of coffee for the guy you insulted, apologize to him for your cluelessness, and tell him that you appreciate his craftsmanship.

There are plenty of reasons not to want to get into an accident, but insulting your tech when you don't have a clue will do nothing but make more trouble for yourself.

+1

I too was hit in the rear quarter panel, and they painted it as well as some of the door, rear bumper, and trunk lid. You cannot even tell it was hit now - they did a great job. Let the guy do his thing and you'll be pleased with the results.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:01 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

A local painter had to do our 98 Chevy truck twice due to two accidents and almost the exact same spot was damaged. He did such a good job you can't tell it had been even repainted let alone twice.

Anyway when we got our motorcycle trailer (pull behind bike type) we asked him if he could paint it to match the bike. Its a 3 layered paint job. He said he's never done a motorcycle trailer but was willing to give it a try. Other painters that do bikes were all booked up for months. Our car/truck painter guy did a great job on the trailer, he matched it PERFECTLY to the bike's color! (Candy Black Cherry) He admitted he did have to retry it 3 times to get it to match perfectly. No extra charge for the repainting until he got it right. When people ask where we got it painted, we direct them to this auto guy.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:04 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Just to clear up things- I never "insulted" the tech guy. I just couldn't understand why they would remove the wing and "GT" cap when there was nothing wrong with it.
That comment really bugged me because when I picked up the car today I had to point out several errors. The had over-spray on the gas cap as well as the tail lights, they stained the interior when they had to get in the car to pull off the rear side window and they left hand prints all over my clean seats. Plus they scratched up the inside lining of my trunk!
All body shop guys may be great individuals but the guys who work on your car don't give a CR@P about your Mustang and have to be watched like a hawk! The contract said they'd bring it to original condition and if I brought it in clean I expect it returned to me CLEAN!
Oh, and to keep the good news coming- they wouldn't replace the rear portion of my side stripe because it didn't originally come with the car. So everyone who has added new parts (and stripes!)... guess what happens when they get damaged in an accident that may not be your fault?
You!
Old 09-14-2006, 04:20 AM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dmhines

Do factories still paint that way? I would think they paint colors in batches since they use the electrostatic process now .... basically they fill the paint booth with a cloud of positively charged paint particles ... then they run the body through with a negative charge .... every nook and cranny of the car gets covered with paint since the body attracts the oppositely charged particles ... and as far as matching ... generally the doors painted seperately .... also ... the bumper covers are painted by an OEM vendor and shipped to Ford in bulk for the assembly line ...
You are correct
The way I seen them do it on TLC ( The Learing Channel ) and they where even doing Ford mustangs...

Rex
Old 09-14-2006, 09:00 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I had a tour of the Atlanta Assembly plant last year before they closed down .... they were building Tauruses but I figured Mustangs were built the same way ....
Old 09-14-2006, 09:02 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Just to clear up things- I never "insulted" the tech guy. I just couldn't understand why they would remove the wing and "GT" cap when there was nothing wrong with it.
That comment really bugged me because when I picked up the car today I had to point out several errors. The had over-spray on the gas cap as well as the tail lights, they stained the interior when they had to get in the car to pull off the rear side window and they left hand prints all over my clean seats. Plus they scratched up the inside lining of my trunk!
All body shop guys may be great individuals but the guys who work on your car don't give a CR@P about your Mustang and have to be watched like a hawk! The contract said they'd bring it to original condition and if I brought it in clean I expect it returned to me CLEAN!
Oh, and to keep the good news coming- they wouldn't replace the rear portion of my side stripe because it didn't originally come with the car. So everyone who has added new parts (and stripes!)... guess what happens when they get damaged in an accident that may not be your fault?
You!
OK....well maybe he wasn't on the ball.....but the removal of the parts for blending is proper. Your note sounded like you had insulted the guy.....but maybe I thought you were using the phrase "I'm like" as a verb.....

Regarding the stripe, I has a similar issue with Nationwide and my clear bra when my CTS-V got hit; once I pointed it out to the adjuster, she checked with "HQ", and they covered it. But....if I hadn't pointed it out, I'd have had to eat it.....

Sorry for your hassles. The problem with ANY auto body work is that it is often major surgery....and the best that they can possibly do is make it "as good as it was before," and that is often hard to do. I have, several times, sold or traded cars shortly after body work was done since they are often "not" the same. I've since gotten a little more relaxed about it....(and my recent body work, performed by Lindsay Collision Center in Alexandria VA, truly was "perfect")

Quick Reply: why you don't want to get in an accident