Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first scratch!! I'm paralyzed....

Old 09-15-2006, 05:34 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: My first scratch!! I'm paralyzed....

At least now you can blame yourself. It would be worse if someone did that with a rogue grocery cart or something like that. Then I would seriously blow up. You can't do **** about it because they don't leave notes anymore, but I'd rather put a dent in my fender myself than let some other ***** do it and not leave a note.

Next course of action for you: Get that metal contraption as far away from your stang as possible. Next time it might really attack your mustang.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:57 PM
mlars

Argh sorry to hear bout your scratch but it was inevitable. I actually look forward to my first blemish on a new car cuz that means I can stop obsessing afterwards and actually enjoy the car.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:38 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Forget the bottle touchup paint. Try one of the new base/clearcoat do-it-yourself kits out there; I've heard great things about them. The big thing with these is you don't get a raised finish; and if anything is raised it is the clear which can easily be sanded down smooth. (Lastly with #2500 or #3000 wet). You can hand glaze/polish from there. Next time you get the car detailed, let the guy know about that area; if color is good and you see anything when you bring it in, you likely won't when you pick up the car. The thing is with one of these kits the next mark you get you'll know you can take care of it and you won't be so bummed. ...Jim
Old 08-27-2007, 10:48 PM
eq_alias

since the car is a relatively light color I'd think you can attempt the repair on something that small. Your call, of course, but I think it would turn out ok.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:28 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

My fist scratch... hmm... about a week after buying the car.. I went to a do-it-youself car wash place and accidently let the hose from the sprayer touch my hood.
The hose had a tiny little piece of metal sticking out of it.. and it put a scratch in the clear coat from the middle of the hood to the quarter panel.

This is on a black car... with virgin paint.. no spiderwebs.. nothing.. it was like glass until that day.

After going over the scenario in my head over and over.. i realized that **** happens.. and if I don't f up this car.. some dip**** will.
I was right..

Since then.. I have opened the door into a gas pump.. scraped the front bumper slightly... and some idiot biach "rubbed" my back bumper and decided to keep going instead of stop.

Absolutely nothing you can do about it.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:13 AM
05GTRedLeather

I just did the exact same thing this morning, I pulled too far into the garage and just tapped the workbench.
I thought "oh well", but when I got out I was horrified to see it had put a small, well crease I guess, in the bumper. had ugly thoughts all day...[:@]
Old 08-28-2007, 12:45 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrSandman

My fist scratch... hmm... about a week after buying the car.. I went to a do-it-youself car wash place and accidently let the hose from the sprayer touch my hood.
The hose had a tiny little piece of metal sticking out of it.. and it put a scratch in the clear coat from the middle of the hood to the quarter panel.

This is on a black car... with virgin paint.. no spiderwebs.. nothing.. it was like glass until that day.

After going over the scenario in my head over and over.. i realized that **** happens.. and if I don't f up this car.. some dip**** will.
I was right..

Since then.. I have opened the door into a gas pump.. scraped the front bumper slightly... and some idiot biach "rubbed" my back bumper and decided to keep going instead of stop.

Absolutely nothing you can do about it.
You are so right. "Absolutely nothing you can do about it". Unless it's a trailer queen somebody is gonna get ya. Couple weeks ago I get my first scratch/scrape. I park away from all cars at a large supermarket (up hill too so no carts going that way) I just run in and come out in no more than 15 mins. There's this elderly couple parked right next to me with a old crappy Dodge Intrepid. They are both standing on their drivers side between thir car and mine as I walk out. I'm thinking, why is that lady standing there with her husband and why in God's name don't they park near the store; they are in there 70' s or 80's. So as I approach the guy says "Is that your car" I say "yeah". he says "oh we were real careful not to open the door and hit it" ...so I start looking... there on the side of the rear bumper cover and across the rear side light, about 5 scrapes down to the plastic.

Front driver corner of their junker was all scraped up from many prior incidents. hey maybe they didn't do it, or didn't realize they hit me, or maybe someone else did it and immediately left and then they pulled in(pretty unlikely that happened). Here's the thing, there is no damage to the custom paint, I've got a few little stone chips now in the chin spoiler. ...in a few years I'll redo the front yellow, and any black that needs it and probably reclear the whole car. ...hey might do that every five years. If the custom paint gets hit bad enough then I'm going all black with all black rims. ...gotta change it up someday. yeah, it bothers you for a while but one day it's a whole redo or new look and that's exciting;Not having it as a daily driver really helps but still sh__'s gonna happen eventually.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:23 AM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to see the damage, I have a small scratch on my rear bumber from some repairmen fixing my house. With any luck this will be the one and only blemish on your ride.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:26 AM
moriel248

I have pretty much the exact same scratch. Nothing like doing something stupid to something you love to make you feel bad for days after. I did it about a month ago and I havn't fixed it yet. Every time I see it I'm reminded to be cautious. It's a tiny little visual reminder not to be an idiot. Everyone needs a couple of those around. [8D]
Old 08-28-2007, 07:54 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I was working infront of my Stang on the garage and had to push it back a foot or so to get more room. The garage door was open and the rear of the car was just about at the shut line of the door.
I got something I needed from the garage and took it inside the house, when I came back about 2 minutes later to push the stang back I see the garage door is closed, my wife had seen it open and pressed the button.

The door had closed all the way but as it passed the rear bumper, a metal hinge on the folding door took a small bite out of the bumper, right slap-bang in the middle [:@][:@]

"Oh, it's so small, you'll never notice it"was all she had to say, which is of course BS, it stands out likeballs on a bulldog.I don't know how we survived that domestic incident

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My first scratch!! I'm paralyzed....