Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windsheild wipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:35 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Windsheild wipers

Heres some pictures of the spots.. it almost looks as if the protective finish on the window is pealing off in small circles but Im not sure.. what do you guys think? I have tried cleaning it with Windex, Eagle 1 glass cleaner, and car soap. None has even made an attempt to take them off yet, you can actually see the spots under the liquid while youre trying to scrub them clean lol.

Thanks for the wiper recommendation guys, Ill check into them, and Ill check out the stuff to get the spots off... but what do you supposed they are now after seeing them?

[IMG]local://upfiles/37638/F2FFAEB56A0A471B886D727A8EAD3406.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37638/20DA518D839048549D18336BF16C1631.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37638/A958486DBC21453DB433DB11C6B831C1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-14-2006, 11:39 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

Looks just like deposits and almost as bad as my Lightning was before I used the “Cook Top”. I am telling you that you will be amazed at how easy it is to use and how good your window will look.

Best thing, is if you’re concerned about how it will work, is try a little in the corner of the window. That is what I did because I was not sure how well it would work.

Vinegar might work for simple water spots but when I had my problem I tired it and many other methods including a razor blade. The razor blade I had some luck with but spent about 15 minutes in a 6” square space and barely took anything off.

The Vinegar will just make you smell like an old fart or a Easter Day freak…
Old 09-14-2006, 11:57 PM
frdfrst
2nd Gear Member

i'm in az.,so my wipers last quite awhile.the heat gets them in the long run.i use anco.as for the spots try using clay bar on them.i do mine about once every few months.takes anything thats on the glass off.[sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]
Old 09-15-2006, 12:09 AM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

rain x will solve the problem for the most part. after i put it on i hardly use the wipers unless its raining hard

. i too hate all wipers, i have not tried silblade but i believe they will be in my future.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:10 AM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

bl1nkage, I do detailing on the side, and I will give you a sure-fire way to get any water spots off your class. Please note that this is ONLY FOR GLASS!

You will need 2 things:

VERY high grit steel wool
Glass cleaner of your choice

Liberally spray the area with the glass cleaner, and rub the steel wool on the glass. It will not scrath or harm it in any way. It will take of water spots, bugs, tar, bird droppings, pretty much anything you throw at it. Even paint and clear coat overspray. Just make sure it is high grit steel wool, as fine grit as you can find preferably.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:28 AM
skillful
2nd Gear Member

Do a GOOD coat of rain-x and you'll be fine.
Even a second coat is better.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:29 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I just replaced my factory blades with Bosch ICON blades. Pricey, but they really work great.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:35 AM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mongrull006

rain x will solve the problem for the most part. after i put it on i hardly use the wipers unless its raining hard

. i too hate all wipers, i have not tried silblade but i believe they will be in my future.
RainX is actually pretty good! I was in my cousin's old Toyota Celica 4banger with crappy wipers, but a fresh coat of RainX mind you, and I
was amazed to see how water basically shot off the windshield with no wipers on (not that they would help any ).

I put a coat of it on the Pony over a year ago, and I can honestly say water slides off during every car wash.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:36 AM
JimC

ORIGINAL: Goldenpony

I just replaced my factory blades with Bosch ICON blades. Pricey, but they really work great.
I had the Bosch on my Explorer and my wife's old Focus. They were the best after market blades I found, everything else seemed to "lift" on the highway on both vehicles. I haven't had to replace the Mustang wipers yet, but will probably go with them despite the price because they worked so well. I replaced my wife's Focus blades recently with a set of RainX blades and they seem to be working well, although I haven't driven her Focus in rain at highway speeds but she isn't complaining so they must be working well.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:42 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, Ill definately be trying some of these tomorrow.

For you guys that used Rain-x.. how long do your applications usually last? I used to put Rain-x on my old car (as a matter of fact I still have 2 bottles in my garage) but I found that I was having to redo the windsheild just about every time I washed the car (about once a week and a half or so). I was under the impression that it lasted for a decent amount of time and got fed up with re-applying it over and over and eventually stopped. Was I doing something wrong to make it wash off so easily or what?

I know Rain-x worked good at what it did, which is basically to cause water to sheet off (sort of a wax for your windsheild) but it just seemed like it didnt last long, and then I noticed when it started to wear off and the layer got thin, it would smear -horribly- nd cause alot more problems. Thats why I had to keep applying it. Almost like once you put it on you have to keep it on in order to keep it from smearing. Again, is that normal or did I do something wrong?

Thanks for your help guys.. the vision problem in the rain is never a good thing [&:]

Quick Reply: Windsheild wipers