Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready to do the drop...suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 03:48 PM
CDW63
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Getting ready to do the drop...suggestions??

I have the Eibach pro-springs on my car (6 months) with stock struts/shocks and don't have any leveling issues. I will eventually get tokico strut/shock combo to replace the stock units down the road.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:13 PM
splitwindow

Well it looks like there are many opinions on this issue ...it looks like I have a lot to consider. Now doing it myself, what special tools am I going to need? I have a fairly decent garage setup, but never thought about doing it myself. I've screwed around with motors a bit, but never suspension. I plan on using stock shocks and struts at first, then moving to some good aftermarkets. Anyone who has done it, please shoot me an email or PM and let me know about your experience. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:59 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Well, I can tell you that you wont be disappointed if you get the Eibachs. I dont have mine yet, but I have seen a few cars in person and ALOT of cars on the forums and they all look like they sit even. Ive also talked to a few shops and they have recommended the Eibachs as well as some other brands. Have you ever thought that it may just be the install shop thats having problems? Just an idea, but if they are having alot of problems with Eibachs and no one else is.. seems kinda odd. Also you could check out the Progressive, I hear theyre supposed to be pretty good, couple members have them and love them. Word is the Steeda ones are pretty good as well.. like everything else from Steeda. Good luck in getting it dropped, just make sure you talk to more than one shop and consider more than one brand or youre only hurtin yourself [8D]. Also if possible install them yourself cause itll cost ya more to get em installed them than it will to buy them.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:19 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm willing to bet that these inconsistencies are cars that weren't level from the factory.

ORIGINAL: Glengemen

I am just passing on info from a aftermarket shop that does a lot of mustangs for dealerships. My car came customized from the dealership, and I asked them what was on the car and why they put on the parts they did. They did say that some Eibachs sometimes will come out even, just inconsistantly. I have lowered 3 cars with Eibachs myself and I agree with them. I think the most consistant springs are stock from my experiance from my heavy line colision experience ( I've done it professionally for several years ).
I have found that other brands are inconsistant also, and have never used Suspention Technics myself. I have seen around 10 Mustang GTs with these spring from this shop, and all sit even.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:21 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You need a big *** hammer for suspension work! Maybe not so big on such a new car.
ORIGINAL: splitwindow

Well it looks like there are many opinions on this issue ...it looks like I have a lot to consider. Now doing it myself, what special tools am I going to need? I have a fairly decent garage setup, but never thought about doing it myself. I've screwed around with motors a bit, but never suspension. I plan on using stock shocks and struts at first, then moving to some good aftermarkets. Anyone who has done it, please shoot me an email or PM and let me know about your experience. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:18 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The suspension work on these cars is very easy. I wouldn't hesitate to install the springs yourself, then take it to a shop to have the alignment done.

Rear springs & shocks is about 30-45 min total. You need a jack, jackstands, assorted metric wrenches & sockets and that's about it.

The front takes a little longer, you need the same tools plus an extra jackstand (three total) and a spring compressor.

With air tools, I wouldn't hesitate to say you could do all 4 corners--shocks and springs--in two hours.

I did mine (Roush springs in the rear and Toicko D-specs all around) with 7000 mi on the car, and everything came apart very easily. No pry bars or hammers needed.

You don't need camber plates up front. I suggest using eccentric bolts, which are very inexpensive, and inidicentally are also what Ford suggests in their official workshop manual for camber adjustment.

However, when lowering the car I strongly suggest that you use an adjustable panhard bar so you can re-center the rear end, and also a set of adjustable LCAs (lower control arms) so you can correct the pinion angle in the rear. Those are both relatively simple to install. There's a few threads about this over in the "handling" section. Poke around over there and you should find the threads....