Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush rear springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 12:41 AM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

Default Roush rear springs

Anyone know who has these the cheapest? I have been searching around and the only place i could find was Roush's website. Also i was looking for a writeup on how to install them with pictures if possible since i'm gonna tackle it by myself, I couldn't find any by searching. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:47 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Roush rear springs

I bought mine from Summit Racing. At the time, they were the cheapest place I could find.

The installation is VERY simple:

1) Jack up rear of the car. Support by the FRAME on jackstands, leave the jack underneath the rear axle. Remove the rear wheels/tires.

2) Pick one side to start on. Go inside the trunk and remove the upper shock nut on that side.

3) Lower the axle slowly with the jack. As you lower it the shock will come out of it's hole up top, and the axle will hang downwards lower than is usually possible. At this point the spring will be free. Simply grab it, remove, and replace with the Roush spring.

4) Raise the axle back up with the jack. While you're doing this, guide the shock back into its mounting hole.

5) With the axle lifted up, replace the shock nut.

6) Repeat steps 2-5 for the opposite side.

7) Replace wheels, lower the car to the ground. Torque lug nuts to factory spec.

...that's all there is to it. It should take you less than an hour.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:30 AM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info. Just 2 questions, Are the brake lines going to be in the way when i lower the axle? And what is the factory torque on the shock bolts(if there is one).
Old 09-18-2006, 11:25 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The brake lines are not in the way.

I don't remember the torque spec offhand, but the "Informational Documents" thread at the top of the main 05-07 forum has a link to the various service manual documents. One of 'em should have the torque spec in it. It is quite low, the stud at the top of the shocks is small.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:18 AM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

Thanks again for the info
Old 09-19-2006, 09:43 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

I was prepping for my springs tomorrow. I got the rear up on the jack stands but when i tried to remove the shock bolt in the trunk the bolt and the nut were moving together and it didn't seem like the bolt was moving up any farther so i stopped. Is that bolt supposed to come off with that happening?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:26 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The "bolt" that you see in the trunk is actually the top of the shock. When it rotates, the whole shock is turning.

There are two flats on the top of the "bolt" that you can hold onto with an adjustable wrench while you loosen the nut.

Alternatley, you can get a buddy to hold the shock body while you loosen the nut.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:39 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

Yeah i noticed that on the top of the bolt and was going to try that method but i thought i'd ask first so i didn't damage anything. Thanks again CrazyAl
Old 09-19-2006, 10:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Try loosening the nut with the car on the ground.

ORIGINAL: blaven

Yeah i noticed that on the top of the bolt and was going to try that method but i thought i'd ask first so i didn't damage anything. Thanks again CrazyAl
Old 09-20-2006, 02:50 AM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

Well after some thinking i finally got them out Had to disconnect the rear sway bar on each side and the brake line bolt so it didn't stress it to much when i pushed the axle down. So now all i have to do is wait on the UPS guy tomorrow and i can throw my new springs right on in

Quick Reply: Roush rear springs