Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinded a gear this morning, but why...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:54 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default Grinded a gear this morning, but why...

My Mustang is the first car I've owned to have a manual, but I do know how to drive one allready.

I was coming to a red light this morning, very light traffic. I needed to make a right hand turn at the light. I was rolling at maybe 20-25mph and I pulled it out of 3rd and put it in first but did not release the clutch. I was just getting ready to launch again around the corner after waiting till the opposite traffic to clear. After I put it in gear about a second after it heard it grin a little and immediatly took it out of 1st.

Why did this happen? I did have the clutch engaged, and I did NOT release the clutch at 20mph into 1st.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:58 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Grinded a gear this morning, but why...

the car has a 1st gear lockout to prevent you from shifting into first at anything more than 15mph...

you must have forced it in if you were going that fast which is incredibly stupid; that's why it grinded.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:06 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I didn't have to force it in, it just went in normally.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:25 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

just an observation; "incredibly stupid" is probably an uncalled for adjective here......
Old 09-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Sn00ganS1337
1st Gear Member

It happened to me before. The first guy was correct as far as the cars having a first gear lockout. Don't worry about it but if it happens again, note the speed at which you put it in first and be careful next time. Maybe just put it in neutral until you get <15 then put it into first? That's what I've started doing
Old 09-20-2006, 06:33 PM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

There's really no reason to shift back to first at 35mph in these cars, 2nd will give you plenty of accelartion, but i understand what you mean nonetheless.

Mine does that too.....and No it's not the lockout.....The lockout does what it says...>..Locks it out..<....not GRIND it in....

It's not the lockout its a completely different feeling than the lockout.....

My 5spd does this too on occasion I can't figure it out either, I haven't brought it to the dealer yet though because It's not a major issue. BTW, It mostly does it to me when shifting into 2nd and back down to first as well.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:45 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

I've "brushed the teeth" going from one to second. Second gear is a bitch. But going from third to first when going 30? Roll it out; you actually don't use any fuel when rolling. Ever notice that exhaust drone subsiding when you are doing 70 on the freeway and lift off? Yup, you are not burning anything.

Naturally press the clutch when the rpm’s get to low.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Daniel06GT
3rd Gear Member

At that speed i usually just put it in second or maybe even third gear. Too fast for first.

-DG
Old 09-20-2006, 08:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I've downshifted into first at 20mph with no problems, no grinding, no lockout.

For the OP, I don't think you ever had it fully in gear, that's why it popped back out. I've done the same thing in reverse. My backup lights came on so I thought I had it in, but did not, it popped out of reverse and made a little grinding noise.

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

the car has a 1st gear lockout to prevent you from shifting into first at anything more than 15mph...

you must have forced it in if you were going that fast which is incredibly stupid; that's why it grinded.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:07 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

The tranny is supposed to be a little "notchy" in the morning(car's not up to temp yet). I start work every morning at 5:30 and since I live so close to work(about 3 miles) my poor GT isn't even up to temp yet(I let it warm up for 5 minutes before leaving home) by the time I get to work. The tranny seems to take longer to warm up......you gotta respect that transmission in the morning....take it super easy....besides I'm so paranoid about getting a ticket(car's too fast for average traffic) I usually have Hondas, Toyotas and Geos get around me in the morning(moral victory they can brag to their equally impressionable buddies)....take care of your baby! Treat her right and the possibilities are endless.

Quick Reply: Grinded a gear this morning, but why...