Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! One of my brake lights is stuck on!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 02:56 PM
DeniseO

Default RE: Help! One of my brake lights is stuck on!

I have an 05' V6 Convertible and it was doing the same thing. The dealer had to replace the battery (which was drained) and the brake switch. I hope this takes care of the problem but I've also noticed that some areas of the stereo don't light up at night (pre-sets and cd changer controls). I'll be back to the dealership next week. [:@]
Old 09-23-2006, 05:22 PM
AirForceGeorge
1st Gear Member

Ouch! That's why this message board is such an invaluable resource. I'm gonna keep a close eye on this and if anything fishy happens again I'm gonna gonna go straight to the dealer with that list of parts.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:51 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Quick Update: By utter chance I was getting into the glove box and noticed that my floorboard/carpet is wet AGAIN on the passenger side. The first time I thought it was my fault (happened 2 months ago, independent of the brake light), but now I know it's not. [:@] So much for new cars not being a hassle...I had less problems with my 1994 buick at 180k miles[:@][:@]
Old 09-25-2006, 09:02 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

My car went in today, and they had to keep it overnight, as they haven't found where the water's coming in from. Apparently they've had it under a shower or something all day, and haven't seen any change. Next is to take the front cowling off and run more water? I didn't understand exactly what they were trying to say.

They also asked if I had run the A/C during times I noticed the floor being wet. I thought for half a second and said "no" because I didn't remember using it, but really I'm not sure. In the back of my head I am thinking that it's got to be rain-related, but on the other hand, there's really no reason it couldn't be the A/C. I hope I haven't led them in the wrong direction, but then I am thinking every time I have opened the hood after running the A/C, all of the condensation I see is on the drivers side components. This is a passenger side leak! In any case, I'll let everyone here know if/when they find out what's up.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:20 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AirForceGeorge

Arghhh. Craziest thing. I looked outside my window and saw a brake light on. Odd, I thought to myself. Got in, checked everything out, turned it on and off, headlights, played with all the electrical stuff, nothing.

On the right side one of the bulbs of the three is shinning brightly even with the car turned off and in the garage right now! It was raining today so I'm thinking short maybe? Problem is the battery is gonna die by tomorrow before I can take it to the dealer and I'll have to boost. I guess I can unhook the battery. Any other suggested fixes??
Looking at the wiring diagram, the most likely cause is a problem with the Smart Junction Box which is on the passenger side in front of the door behind that plastic panel that comes off. I'm not sure how water could get in there though. I'd definitely take it in and get it checked/swapped under warranty.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:13 PM
rasguedo

Hey Hypro and AirForce, sorry to hear of your problems. I too am having something leak unfortunately though I cant find the source. My carpet isnt wet but I have a strong musty odor inside my car (05 GT). Check out my thread https://mustangforums.com/m_2002646/tm.htm I am beggining to wonder if we are all having the same leaks. I have had no electrical problems yet but definately a musty odor with no apparent source....
Old 09-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

You guys feel this and a whole lot of other problems I have read here are even close to normal for a new car? Except for the clunking in the rear end on my 07 GT 5 speed, everything has been great on my car. I have 2.700 miles on it. I had been wanting a new car for a long time, but really didnt see anything I liked "that I could afford" till they came out with the 05 Mustangs. I thought it might be better to wait a year or so, and let Ford get any bugs out if there were any.

I bought my 07 GT premium a month ago. I have allways been a Mopar fan, and didnt even like Fords, because I thought they were junk. But at the car lot, I could see that Ford makes some solid looking vehicles, and the quality on mine is excellent everywhere. I have to be honest, some of the things I have read in here about problems guys are having with brand new cars is worrying me some.

If these same things had not happaned to so many people, I would still be bothered by this. While its under warranty, its not so bad, but after that, then what? Is this one of the reasons Ford is having so much trouble now?

Old 09-26-2006, 02:23 AM
AirForceGeorge
1st Gear Member

Not that I have all that many miles since I got the car this spring (5k now) but I've been totally trouble free 'till now. Besides the Mustang gas thing when I fill up but even that happens very rarely, maybe two or three times. With so many cars on the road a forum like this is gonna have a lot. Good news is no news so people don't mention hoe long they've been problem free. We only get one side of the story. I just don't wanna have problems about 2 1/2 years from now when I'm off warantee.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:19 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Well, I got the car back today. Apparently they called the mother ship which suggested they reseal a few grommets that have been giving other people problems, or at least that was the story. I was told to see if that helps, and bring it back if it doesn't, and that's exactly what I'll be doing [&:]

As far as satisfaction with this car, I tend to look at it in two different lights. On the one hand, I feel this NEW car has given me a fair amount of hassle, given that it's new. Granted, this is my first new car, but I know a lot of other folks that have had much less trouble with their new cars than I, so I'm not that impressed in this regard. On the other hand, I can't honestly say that I am not in love with this car. In fact, just the other day I was thinking about going out to do an errand I didn't wanna do, but then I remembered I'd be driving the car, and I actually got chills . i don't think I would get the same feeling if I would have purshaced a "dependable" corolla or accord. it's just a heartbrake every time I come out expecting bliss and end up with a light on, a wet floorboard, a howling rear end, or a hesitation when I punch it on the highway. As a side note, the whole electronic throttle control and computer intervention on RPMs is really annoying, but at least it's not a problem with my car, but rather on par with the design of the thing.

Bottom line (and I've seen it said many times on this forum): I love this car, but I'll never buy a Ford (or American even?) again.

Edit: I have 12,500mi on, since February of this year (yes, I'm running the wheels off it...hopefully that will change in the near future). First problem was at 5,000mi I think...
Old 09-28-2006, 01:33 AM
Gunrnr
1st Gear Member

I didn't have this problem, however, I did buy a set of sequential ("dynamite stick") tail lights and they work great! Hope this was helpful!

Here's a link: http://www.americanmuscle.com/cdc-dynamite-sticks.html

Quick Reply: Help! One of my brake lights is stuck on!