Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 mustang GT / GT 500 brake question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 03:35 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Default 2005 mustang GT / GT 500 brake question

Do they have the same diameter brake rotors? I know they both 4 piston but the gt 500 are brembos. Any real difference between the 2??

Att. Andrew
Old 09-23-2006, 12:28 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2005 mustang GT / GT 500 brake question

I just recieved the rest of my GT500 brake parts thursday for my 06 GT and am just starting to measure things up.

So far....... here are my impressions.

First off this stuff is gorgeous. But getting it is not easy per say. There are sets out there, but they are dissapearing fast. The calipers are backordered from ford for 13 months. Some of the stuff is availible, but BY RIGHTS dealers are not supposed to sell them to you unless you provide a shelby VIN. But not all dealers adhere to this rule. I had to pay an extra 15% over my cost on the rotors and brake caliper hardware and I think rear pads to get it here. But I had everything inside of a week. I was told that ford is going to be more strict on how this stuff is sold. I was also told to expect it to be a 2000 dollar kit from ford racing inside of a year.

The size is incredible. Rotors are a full 14" in diameter and 32mm thick and weigh 27lbs each. Calipers are equally massive.

Everything is Brembo too with the exception of the dust shields. Pads, calipers, rotors, clips, all stamped brembo and made in Italy. Rear pads different compound and are Ferodo which is the same company that makes Brembo compounds. Considering brembo wants 2100 for this same exact kit with the only difference being drilled/slotted rotors (which I dont want) and braided lines, for the 700-750 this stuff cost me I am thrilled.

Fitment will need a big spacer (around 20mm) for the 18" factory bullitts. But considering porsche uses 30mm spacers on their wide body 911's. I dont have too much of a problem with doing that if I can keep my wheels. You will need approx 50mm from the rotor wheel mounting face to the spoke at the caliper location. It looks like the shelby gt500 and the roush/saleen cars have their wheel edges moved out 20 mm or so anyway to better fill the fenders. So tire clearance with the 8.5 " shouldent be an issue.

H&R is your best bet here for spacers as they are TUV approved and the porsche oe supplier. And they will cost about 250-300 bucks for 4, + you have to change your wheel studs.

So far it looks wheel fitment is the only issue. But it would be no worse than fitting the $2100 brembo kit as it has the same fitment requirements.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:11 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

So far I am getting the calipers, gotta order the rotors now, besides the spacers what else will I need to fit?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone know where to get the complete setup?
Old 09-23-2006, 08:05 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I think Dynojoe on modularfords.com had a couple sets. But being that I am a buisiness myself and get good dealer discounts. It was alot cheaper to put it together myself.

But the only dealer that could get me calipers was Kevin Casey over on Clevparts.com. He told me he thinks it would be a month wait on the rest of the parts. The calipers are very hard to get and he only had a couple. So if you can get calipers, you are looking at a month at most on the other stuff. And if you are willing to pay an extra 15% for the ford surchage, you can get everything except calipers inside of a week.

You need the following:

-L & R gt500 calipers
2-Caliper anti rattle clip kits
4-Caliper Bolts
2-Rotors
-Front pads
-Rear pads (different compound to correct bias)
2-Backing plates

I thinks that all. I havent bolted them up yet so I cant say for certain. The 07 brake hoses are the same for the GT and GT500. But the brake hoses have a different part number from 06 to 07. But they cross reference to each other in Fords computer so I was told they are the same. But you never know, they may have changed the 07 in a way to work with the shelby brakes and also fit the GT brakes. But so far, I dont intend on ordering the 07 hoses until I do some fitting.

Spacers and wheels are the problem right now. I really love my 18" polished bullitts and didnt want to replace them. Frankly I really dont like most aftermarket wheels and am more of a torque thrust/ cragar kind of guy when it comes to wheels on muclecars.

Found out today that eibach hasent released their 15 and 20mm DRS spacers yet and might not do so ever. So as of today, 1/2" is the thickest I have found (from MM) and it is looking like it is not enough for the 18" factory bullitts.

I did find a shop online that manufactors custom spacers and someone told me he paid 200 for four hubcentric 5/8" mopar spacers, I am giving him a call this week. But studs may become a problem. I really dont want to drill by hubs or axles and I havent found longer studs that specifically claim to be a direct replacment for the 05+ cars. I would want to widen the front and the back so it looks nice.

Anyone do longer wheel studs yet on the 05+????

There is always H&R bolt on spacers. But they start at an inch thick, which may be a little more than actually needed. And bolt on spacers just seem hack to me. Porsche used them for years at like 40mm + thick on the widebody 911's from the factory, but I am still on the fence about them. Anyone else have bolt on spacer opinions??

I wish ford or someone would make a polished/chrome 9.5" bullitt to fit the GT500. I am not crazy about the wheels they put on it from the factory (along with the rest of the car but that is another thread). Otherwise I would just order gt500 wheels for the summer and run the 18" polished I have now in the winter with bolt on spacers or something.

My main idea was to buy these brake parts while they are still cheap so if I ever decide to use them, I have them. I may just keep the car as is for this winter, throw on some snows, and see what spacers, studs, or wheels the spring brings.

But being that Brembo sells this near identical kit for 2100, I cannot see why ford racing would sell it for anywhere near the 700-750. So grab em while you can if you might want bigger brakes. Even if you dont use em, you may be able to flip em for a profit in a year or so.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:18 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

hmm. I sold my 18 inch rims to my brother and I am back to the factory 17 inch I know they must fit on this wheels and the wheels I am gonna order are 17inch magnesium wheels.

Att. Andrew
Old 09-23-2006, 10:36 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I dont know if 17" will clear. I would be really skeptical.

Anyone try that yet??
Old 09-24-2006, 04:44 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

it is still a 14inch rotor dont know.... I really want my 17's for racing issues lol.

Att. Andrew
Old 09-24-2006, 01:18 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

You may get lucky. But it is 17" measured at the tire bead. Inside the wheel, the diameter is probably only 16" or so at best on an aluminum mag. That gives you a inside wheel radius of 8". That would be your max clearance. Now I have never measured a factory 17" wheel so I dont know what the story with it would be for sure.

But assuming we do have 8" of radial clearance to work with. At 25.4mm per inch. That is 203.2mm.

As you can see in the brembo clearance chart below for their 1 piece rotor 14" kit for our cars, which from my measuring so far is approximatly the same as the GT500 brembos, you need at least 200mm of radial clearance inside of the wheel + a saftey margin.

So you may have approx 203mm. And the caliper may be 200mm our from the center. That is 3mm clearance which may be enough but this is still all assuming that you only have 8" radius inside of the wheel.

Maybe I will try dropping the caliper and rotor into the spare some day to get a rough idea.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:11 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Not really a surprise to me, but the brakes will not fit the 17" spare even with a spacer. The spare has a wierd step on the inside of the rim that wrecks havoc on the radial clearance. If that wasent there, the spare might have cleared with some type of spacer.

Quick Reply: 2005 mustang GT / GT 500 brake question