Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heard the rearend whine today....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Heard the rearend whine today....

turning sharply into a parking space I heard a whining noise coming from the rear. I'm guessing this is the dreaded rearend whine caused by the clutch pack. Is there anything I can do besides taking it to the dealer? I thought I read something about changing the rearend oil to full synthetic and adding some friction modifier. If that will work what all do i need?

I'd rather not take it to a dealer unless it's absolutely necessary.

I just went over 2500 miles by the way.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:17 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Heard the rearend whine today....

Whoops! Meant to post this in the GT forum
Old 09-29-2006, 12:09 AM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

Just take it to the dealer let them deal with it, its their problem.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:28 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Just take it to the dealer , they fixed mine.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:41 AM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Add one bottle of friction modifier to your existing rearend fluid (which is synthetic) and that should cure it.

Mine was doing that after a gear change, and one more bottle cured it.

Thx,

Mike
Old 09-29-2006, 01:06 AM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

go to the dealer, they should fix it no questions asked. mine had that noise with 300 miles, 4 days after i got the car...go figure
Old 09-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Live with the noise. It's doing no harm what-so-ever. Change the fluid and add a bottle or two of friction modifier. I can hear this noise on vitually every Ford truck and I know it has a Trac-Loc just by listening to it in the parking lot.

For those who had had it fixed, there's a 99% chance that your limited slip differential does not perform like one anymore.

Do a burn-out - are both wheels leaving the same length rubber on the road? Only getting only one tire mark after the fix??

The fix replaces the clutch packs with ones that are "looser" and thus don't engage both wheels as strongly as before. Your choice!

I would bet that 10% or more of the clutch replacements will result in the Stealership not being able to set the gear lash correctly and a totally new replacement rear-end being installed after multiple trips to the garage to have it fixed.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: Stooge

Live with the noise. It's doing no harm what-so-ever. Change the fluid and add a bottle or two of friction modifier. I can hear this noise on vitually every Ford truck and I know it has a Trac-Loc just by listening to it in the parking lot.

For those who had had it fixed, there's a 99% chance that your limited slip differential does not perform like one anymore.

Do a burn-out - are both wheels leaving the same length rubber on the road? Only getting only one tire mark after the fix??

The fix replaces the clutch packs with ones that are "looser" and thus don't engage both wheels as strongly as before. Your choice!

I would bet that 10% or more of the clutch replacements will result in the Stealership not being able to set the gear lash correctly and a totally new replacement rear-end being installed after multiple trips to the garage to have it fixed.
I thought it would be the gears that are making a "whine"
Old 09-29-2006, 11:43 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

This is what i'm talking about people! Ya'll are to quick to run to the dealer. Can I get the friction moddifier at a local autoparts store? Will the whine get louder? It wasn't very loud, but noticeable with the windows up and stereo on normal volumne.

ORIGINAL: Stooge

Old 09-29-2006, 12:27 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

I wasn't too quick to run to the dealer, I too went the route of adding additional friction mod, and this didn't cure my whine.

Best Of Luck

Quick Reply: Heard the rearend whine today....