Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle whine "fixed" - I am PO'd!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 01:35 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Axle whine "fixed" - I am PO'd!

Yeah I know Motive makes them for Ford but an awful lot of people have had problems with the Motives on this forum. Ford gears are marked with the letters G410A on the box and the Motives have the G410M on the box. People don't have any problems with the G410A gears that I've heard, they do with the others. Thanks,
Old 09-26-2006, 01:37 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info, hopefully the shop will make it right. I'm pretty confident they will. They seem like good people.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:06 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Yeah I seem to remember from somewhere that the G410M were ones from a previous batch than the G410A and that when ordering new ones you should make sure you get the G410As because they were slightly different or something like that. Not sure why you would have gotten Ms if you ordered the As but that would be something I would have complained about before they got installed. I dunno what you could do about it now that they are installed but you might try just bringing up the fact that they were the wrong ones and now they are whining.. who knows, maybe theyll switch them out..
Old 09-26-2006, 02:28 PM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

I believe that Archion is right on with his assessment, but I will go one step further:

The tech, just threw in the gears without checking backlash or pattern. In many cases if they are using Ford gears they can get by with this. They gambled and lost. Make sure that you collect on the loss. Go back and get them to fix it and tell them to check backlash and the pattern.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Sorry to hear about the 'fix' not being fixed properly the first time. Definitely take it back to the dealer and have them take a look at it. It sounds like they didn't take it for a test drive after doing the work.

I had to take my car back to the dealer 4 times in an eight month period to fix a TO bearing correctly (was whinning at low RPM when driven or the pedal was released when idling). THe 4th time around they checked EVERYTHING in the clutch/tranny and also replaced the Pressure plate and TO not just the TO.

Friction Items wear (gears, clutches, clutch packs etc.) They probably overlooked some of the clearences because the car is 'new' and hasn't worn in 100%. Shortcuts on their part probably caused it, they should take care of it.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Another reason to NOT have the rear moan TSB done. Change the fluid, add the friction modifier and live with the noise. The only time I hear it is when I MAKE it do it - like doing sharp turns in the parking lot. The so-called TSB fix is not worth the risk of Ford messing the rear-up. The TSB seems to me to be a band-aid. You need to completely redo the rear end once open. I've also heard the "new" clutch packs are exactly the same as the old - just not tighten down so much, and this almost completely negates the effectiveness of the Trac-Loc. I'll let my rear-end sieze before doing the TSB and live with the noise.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:40 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

So has anyone had Ford actually do this TSB correctly? I'm concerned they'll never get it right and I'll be forced to pay an outside shop to do it. Should I insist on a different tech doing it or would that just **** them off?
Old 09-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

One thing to remember, they are there to service you, not the other way around, whether they like it or not, the old "Customer is always right" thing. They may try to give you a runaround but in the end they have to keep you happy.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:18 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Already have they're taking care of me Friday. I specifically asked for the FRRP's not the Motives. The shop that did the install had the gears.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:06 AM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Sorry to hear about the 'fix' not being fixed properly the first time. Definitely take it back to the dealer and have them take a look at it. It sounds like they didn't take it for a test drive after doing the work.

I had to take my car back to the dealer 4 times in an eight month period to fix a TO bearing correctly (was whinning at low RPM when driven or the pedal was released when idling). THe 4th time around they checked EVERYTHING in the clutch/tranny and also replaced the Pressure plate and TO not just the TO.

Friction Items wear (gears, clutches, clutch packs etc.) They probably overlooked some of the clearences because the car is 'new' and hasn't worn in 100%. Shortcuts on their part probably caused it, they should take care of it.
This sounds interesting. I have developed a noise that sounds like that noise when you run over the rumble strips on the highway, but without the vibration. It happens in 3rd, and 4th gear usually at around 2k RPM and in 5th when the RPMS are low, around 1500. It only happens when I am in gear and on the gas. I bought new flowmasters and installed them last Saturday and drove the car all day and it was fine. The noise started on Sunday night. Some people on hear have said that the flowmasters have baffle breaking issues. Not sure what that sounds like, but I am thinking it's the mufflers making that noise. Could it be something else?

Quick Reply: Axle whine "fixed" - I am PO'd!