Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried out the heated seats this morning, not that great!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Default Tried out the heated seats this morning, not that great!

It was in the 50's this morning so I put the top down and decided to try out the heated seats. I hit the button and after a minute or so it got pretty darned toasty, almost to the point of being uncomfortable. But after another minute or two at that level it started cooling down and kept getting cooler until the 10 minutes was up (they automatically shut off after 10 minutes). At the end of the 10 minutes the seat was "normal" temp. When the indicator light went off I hit the button again and.... nothing happened. The seat did not heat up again. I turned the button off, then after another few minutes turned it on again. Once again, nothing. I started wondering if a fuse had been blown or something. I left it on that time, and after around 5 minutes all of a sudden it heated back up again. Apparently there is a built-in delay, so even if you turn the seats back on again after 10 minutes they will not immediately heat up. Overall the performance is quite disappointing, the heated seats in my wife's van have a high and low setting and they stay there until you turn the button off. The Mustang seats start out too hot, then get too cold, then won't turn back on again until the car says so!
Old 09-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Tried out the heated seats this morning, not that great!

That IS really stupid! What is it with American cars? It's like somewhere in the mind set of the people who engineer these cars are thinking "I need to make it different than imports...I think I'll fooooock something up!". [sm=headbang.gif]
Old 09-26-2006, 04:37 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

See, now that's just stupid. Why would they have it turn off after 10 minutes? I've never seen that in any other car w/heated seats before...

Why doesn't Ford think that you can decide when your butt has had enough????

Once on my 03 Explorer Eddie Bauer the heat turned off and wouldn't come back on. Only happened once but it pissed me off something fierce.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:00 PM
555*
3rd Gear Member

Probably poor quality parts making up the heating system and if they were run too long at a set temperature(ie long trip in the winter), I wouldn't be surprised if they would fail. Cheaper to build with cheap parts and back up the system with a relay to keep the stuff from failing. Pure GENIUS.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:13 PM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

That is total crap. The heated seats in my Tahoe and Sierra stay on until you turn them off, or the car itself turns off. If GM can engineer it to stay on for as long as you want, then Ford must be able to.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:24 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

weird, after ten minutes i hit the botten again and they come back on, maybe you have a defect.
ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

It was in the 50's this morning so I put the top down and decided to try out the heated seats. I hit the button and after a minute or so it got pretty darned toasty, almost to the point of being uncomfortable. But after another minute or two at that level it started cooling down and kept getting cooler until the 10 minutes was up (they automatically shut off after 10 minutes). At the end of the 10 minutes the seat was "normal" temp. When the indicator light went off I hit the button again and.... nothing happened. The seat did not heat up again. I turned the button off, then after another few minutes turned it on again. Once again, nothing. I started wondering if a fuse had been blown or something. I left it on that time, and after around 5 minutes all of a sudden it heated back up again. Apparently there is a built-in delay, so even if you turn the seats back on again after 10 minutes they will not immediately heat up. Overall the performance is quite disappointing, the heated seats in my wife's van have a high and low setting and they stay there until you turn the button off. The Mustang seats start out too hot, then get too cold, then won't turn back on again until the car says so!
Old 09-26-2006, 06:00 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: timothyrw

See, now that's just stupid. Why would they have it turn off after 10 minutes? I've never seen that in any other car w/heated seats before...

Why doesn't Ford think that you can decide when your butt has had enough????

Once on my 03 Explorer Eddie Bauer the heat turned off and wouldn't come back on. Only happened once but it pissed me off something fierce.
Maybe people have a problem forgetting to turn them off and leaving them on when they get out of the car.. could be dangerous and start fires maybe? Dunno..

That does kinda sound like a defect though.. if not I wonder if theyre controlled by the computer or something and if theres a way to make them stay on constantly?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:29 PM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

Definately a Ford thing, my dad -HAD- a 2006 Lincoln Zephyr, with the AC/Heated seats.
On a hot day the AC seats were nice, but they kept turning off! [:@]

What, is Ford worried about lawsuits of people freezing to death in their seats?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Tri C
1st Gear Member

Sounds extremely weird. I've had a number vehicles (foreign and domestic) and the seats stay heated until switched off.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:37 PM
cnapsys
2nd Gear Member

I had a 93 bmw 318i whith leather interior and heated seats.
The heated seats had 2 positions hi and low. both would turn off after about 10 min.
I'm begining to think ford is copying some 10-15 year old technology [sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Quick Reply: Tried out the heated seats this morning, not that great!