Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about size for new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 03:09 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Default Question about size for new wheels

Hi all,

I have an 06 GT with the wheels that came with it The sticker says "18" Premium Aluminum Wheel - $825)"

Can anyone tell m what sixw aftermarket wheel sizes I can use if I want to keep th tires? (e.g., 18X8.5, 18X9.0...)

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Question about size for new wheels

OK, I have to vent a little here. Why is everyone so gung ho to put different wheels on your car when the 18" wheels look so good? 20s? Why? It adds weight, makes it look too much like other cars that have been lowered, with big rims and skinny rubber. It totally destroys the retro look that the Mustangs are so unigue for! I LIKE my 18" bullit style wheels! Very retro, and very cool. Just my preference and my opinion. Those with the 20"ers look good too!
Old 09-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Gman13
3rd Gear Member

Stangster,
What size tire came on the original wheel?

check out this link, it will help you with tire size hopefully.

Gman

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos
Old 09-27-2006, 04:26 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

They are probably 235/50/18.

That is the size that are on my 18's (stock).
Old 09-27-2006, 05:41 PM
CDW63
2nd Gear Member

The stock wheel size is 18x8.5, I suppose you could go as wide as 9.5, but I would check with a tire retailer to make sure.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:33 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Agree. And the car rides stiff on OE 17 sidewall, stiffer yet on OE 18, but not by much. ...even w/o lowering 19, 20 is gonna ride like crap on uneven roads... which is like every road here in the northeast. Lower it with 20's out here and you and your passengers need to wear mouth guards just to save your teeth. The cars had 14's and 15's back then so 17's are a big jump; Hey if roads are pretty much all smooth where you are then you don't need the cushioning affect of the sidewall. Still though I agree 20's don't fit a retro look but then again it's cool that everyone just does what they want; and we all should continue to respect that, cause we're having such a blast with this car no matter what.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:42 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

OK, I have to vent a little here. Why is everyone so gung ho to put different wheels on your car when the 18" wheels look so good? 20s? Why? It adds weight, makes it look too much like other cars that have been lowered, with big rims and skinny rubber. It totally destroys the retro look that the Mustangs are so unigue for! I LIKE my 18" bullit style wheels! Very retro, and very cool. Just my preference and my opinion. Those with the 20"ers look good too!

Because we all have different needs and wants for the way our car looks and handles. Some of us may not want the car for flat out racing be it in a straight line or a road course. Some of us may want the car to handle but still look good for cars shows and such. I can respect that you think the car is retro and should stay stock but that is not what i think. I myself like the 18 Wheels but that is not what i wanted so i chose not to get them knowing i would be swapping mine out.

As for the comment that 20's ride like crap sorry but i disagree with that totally. And i am not simply saying that because i am trying to save face due to having 20's. I was worried about this tremendously when my wife told me she wanted the 20's on the car and in fact i tried talking her out of it due to all the rumors I heard about how crappy it was going to ride. Well i can tell you that the ride did not worsen and in fact the overall ride improved in my opinion over the stock 17's And although i disagree wiht Farilanes comment on the 20's like his last line says "but then again it's cool that everyone just does what they want; and we all should continue to respect that, cause we're having such a blast with this car no matter what"

I persoanlly am tired of hearing this whole it does not fit the retro design of the car. My opinion is this. Yes it may have a "retro design" but it is a New Look and thus has new thinsg that look good on it.

Richard
Old 09-27-2006, 10:45 PM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

the correct tire size for the 18" upgraded fan blade wheels which i had are 235/55/18 i believe but they may be 245s
Old 09-27-2006, 11:36 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I hear ya. When I said "19, 20 is gonna ride like crap on uneven roads" I do want to stress that I said "uneven roads". Here in Massachusetts for example, the roads are in pretty bad shape. Towns don't have the funds to repair them as they need to, the winters are harsh and even many highways have ridges perpendicular to the road that are just awful. I did ride in a GT with 18's not lowered, and a GT with 20's but it was lowered. The GT with 18's was about the same as my 17's lowered (rear only), but over these roads the 20's lowered was pretty brutal I have to say. My 17's lowered (rear only) is a fairly harsh ride compared to about everything else I've driven.

Anyway I did want to stress that road conditions are a big factor and these roads are in many cases just "terrible".

All that aside, yeah I love seeing folks do every possible thing to there stangs... to see the creativity of people and the pride they have in their cars is priceless. Sorry if I was too "rough" on the "rough" ride thing.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:11 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

I hear ya. When I said "19, 20 is gonna ride like crap on uneven roads" I do want to stress that I said "uneven roads". Here in Massachusetts for example, the roads are in pretty bad shape. Towns don't have the funds to repair them as they need to, the winters are harsh and even many highways have ridges perpendicular to the road that are just awful. I did ride in a GT with 18's not lowered, and a GT with 20's but it was lowered. The GT with 18's was about the same as my 17's lowered (rear only), but over these roads the 20's lowered was pretty brutal I have to say. My 17's lowered (rear only) is a fairly harsh ride compared to about everything else I've driven.

Anyway I did want to stress that road conditions are a big factor and these roads are in many cases just "terrible".

All that aside, yeah I love seeing folks do every possible thing to there stangs... to see the creativity of people and the pride they have in their cars is priceless. Sorry if I was too "rough" on the "rough" ride thing.
No need to apologize I was just trying to let people know not to fear the 20's for the fear of a bad ride. And do not feel bad about the roads man it is like that here in California also the highways and city roads are absolutely terrible. And the things that really makes it bad is the high priced gas has huge taxes on it and that money is suppose to go to the roads but it doesn't. I freely admit that on some roads the ride is a bit rough but I thought it was rough with the stock 17's

Richard