wieght reduction - MustangForums.com

2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:42 AM   #1  
duk
1st Gear Member

Default wieght reduction

I work at a junk yard and today some guy called me wanted to sell his wrecked 2005 mustang. He said that it was hit pretty hard in the front end and probably needed a new front clip. He claimed that it still started up and but he has not drove it because he the radiator is busted. I am thinking about buying it and making it a wanna be race car. By that I mean if it dont make it go faster or stop quicker take it off. How much wieght do yall think you can take off a new mustang? I am not just talking rear seats. I mean everything like a/c compressor but not things like fenders bc that would look stupid. I think that 300-400 LBS should be able to be acomplished. So far this is the list that I have come up with that can come off. Passenger and rear seat, a/c compressor, condensor, ac controls,radio, speakers, carpet, headliner, window motors and regulators, front and rear bumper reinforcements and I that is all that I can think of. Tell me what yall think and what am I forgetting on my list?
duk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:55 AM   #2  
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: wieght reduction

I don't know if the S197 has any sound deadening material, but I did this to a 68 Camaro drag car in the early seventies. I took a wide chisel and hammer and removed over 50 pounds of undercoating type sound deadening material.

I also removed the entire heater/ac system in every way, the radio and had nothing left in the dash except a speedometer, tachometer and basic gauges. I also removed the side glass and all mechanisms and replaced the glass with plexi glass. Don't forget the spare and jack. Also, don't forget to use the lightest battery you can find and move it to the right rear portion of the trunk.

I expect that a 300 to 400 pound weight saving is reasonable. That's the same as a 10 to 12% HP gain except it will also make the car handle much better.

Keep us posted on the project.
MBDiagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:18 PM   #3  
duk
1st Gear Member

Good call on the spare and jack. I completly forgot about them.
duk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:57 PM   #4  
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

You should be able to remove 400+ lbs without a problem.

There is a very good past thread about this:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1514960/tm.htm

There isn't much sound deadening material in the 'stang, though the carpet is pretty heavy, so you could certainly pull that.
CrazyAl is offline   Reply With Quote