Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Long-Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 01:18 AM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

Default Best Long-Tube Headers

I'm looking into buying long-tubes with a high flow cat system with an either X or H pipe and was wondering what some of you that have headers would recommend as far as fitment and a self installation. I have a 06 GT so I would really appreciate it if i could get some info from people that have long tubes on and what combination your running. Thankyou
Old 10-01-2006, 01:32 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Best Long-Tube Headers

This has been gone over before but I would recommend getting LT’s made with 304 stainless steel. Several companies make a good header with 304. I have Kooks and highly recommend them for both fit and finish, I had zero problems during the install.

Earl
Old 10-01-2006, 02:00 AM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: limer06stang

I'm looking into buying long-tubes with a high flow cat system with an either X or H pipe and was wondering what some of you that have headers would recommend as far as fitment and a self installation. I have a 06 GT so I would really appreciate it if i could get some info from people that have long tubes on and what combination your running. Thankyou
I have the SLP ceramic coated long tube headers, SLP X-Pipe with high flow cats, and SLP LM axlebacks. They are made with 304 stainless, the best, and sound great. They are loud however. But....they sound awesome.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:53 AM
Bulitt
2nd Gear Member

KOOKS[8D]
Old 10-01-2006, 04:02 AM
Gig4Fun
1st Gear Member

I have Kooks LT and catted X pipe. I had them Jet Hot coated in ceramic and they look great. I bought them becasue they seem to be the BEST in terms of the way people "think" about headers. Who knows if they are. You know how these things get going. I think it is mainly because they are so darn high priced. At least in my part of the country if you have them (Kooks) you have the best. I was very close to getting JBA's LT's. But I was pursuaded by their reputation, and I can afford whatever I want.

I installed mine at the same time I put in my K-Member so it was an easy job. The Kooks company is sending out an extention for the O2 sensor that is wrong for the S197 though. I had to trim a couple of guides off of the plug. They haven't changed the plug (I have been hearing about this on other installs) to the right one or mentioned it in the kit. Shame on them. It only will fit when you lob off the tabs. They came with all new bolts and great gaskets which is a plus.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:39 AM
lieu910
3rd Gear Member

Another vote for Kooks based on my own trial and error woth others. Reasons being the fit, and quality, and their are less prone to leaks.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:45 AM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

alright thanks for the info. looks like i'll be doing kooks as well and be getting a dyno tune.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:34 PM
2006GTSC
3rd Gear Member

Kooks all the way! I have the Kooks L/Ts, catted X and Magnaflow 4 inch Cat Back. They sound awesome and great quality.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:01 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

This is a bit of a loaded question. Most people are going to answer whatever header brand THEY have themselves.

All of the Longtube headers are going to have very similar performance characteristics. The main difference is going to come down to the quality of workmanship, grade of materials used, and the completeness of the kit and the directions.

The only other difference is primary tube diameter. For example: SLP, JBA, and Kooks are 1 5/8" whereas the Dynatech are 1 3/4". American Racing makes both sizes. The difference is very small on a nearly stock engine. However, if you are planning on a higher HP buildup in the future: blower, heads, cams, etc, then I would definatley buy the larger primary diameter, as they will have a flow advantage and will make more HP in those cases.

I have personally installed 3 different brands of LTs (Dynatech, Kooks, and American Racing) and they were all nice kits. I noticed no difference between the headers fabrication quality that was worth noting, and likewise no significant difference in the HP department--any of them would be a good choice.

If you want "the best", then definatley pick something made of 304 stainless, which is the best grade you will find. I would avoid the low-grade 409 stainless that JBA uses.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:16 PM
lynwood78
3rd Gear Member

I was already thinking about getting the JBA L/T headers but still thinking if I should get the titanium or silver coating.

Quick Reply: Best Long-Tube Headers