Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF! What is this, extra parts? pics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 02:52 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: WTF! What is this, extra parts? pics.

There is a tool to release the spring clips when servicing the A/C it is the same type of fitting that is used in the fuel line in a few locations. Those are there only to retain the spring they deffinetly will NOT release the spring enough to seperate the lines.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:14 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

100% for the A/C DON'T CUT THEM...

the reason ProStang, may have gotten away was because of the different freon.. ??? r-12 and r-134

we use r-134 on ALL cars built since 94 or 95 I think..???

DON'T CUT THEM... trust me..

Rex
Old 10-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Being an ASE and MACS certified A/C Master Technician, They are usless trash, no proper tech in his/her right mind would use those to service the a/c, the proper quick disconnect tools should always be used.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:27 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: rex7010

the reason ProStang, may have gotten away was because of the different freon.. ??? r-12 and r-134

Rex
What? Refridgerant type doesn't matter Ford has used the same type of A/C and fuel lines for YEARS they all take the exact same tools just different sizes there is no way those little plastic pieces are going to help you remove the a/c line. Have you ever taken apart a spring fitting? They require at least 3/8" to go into the fitting to pull the spring away from the groove it sits in and the tool has to be more sturdy than those things. In fact I just tried to get the spring to release with those things on my car.

The tools to release the lines are only a few bucks and its the same type of tool that is required to change your fuel filter.

What experience do you have servicing the A/C system on these cars with those pieces of plastic that you can say "Trust me"?
Old 10-04-2006, 03:30 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Archion

Being an ASE and MACS certified A/C Master Technician, They are usless trash, no proper tech in his/her right mind would use those to service the a/c, the proper quick disconnect tools should always be used.
Proper tech or not it would be impossible to disconnect the lines using those thin flimsy pieces of plastic. I hope he thinks he can change his fuel filter with them also.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:51 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

ORIGINAL: rex7010

Rex
What? Refridgerant type doesn't matter Ford has used the same type of A/C and fuel lines for YEARS they all take the exact same tools just different sizes there is no way those little plastic pieces are going to help you remove the a/c line. Have you ever taken apart a spring fitting? They require at least 3/8" to go into the fitting to pull the spring away from the groove it sits in and the tool has to be more sturdy than those things. In fact I just tried to get the spring to release with those things on my car.

The tools to release the lines are only a few bucks and its the same type of tool that is required to change your fuel filter.

What experience do you have servicing the A/C system on these cars with those pieces of plastic that you can say "Trust me"?

20+ years of working on cars.. a ASE Master Tech. Certificate.. yeah you CAN get around them.. but Ford didn't just leave them on every car for nothing..think about it.. those pennys add up.. if they could have gotten rid of them/didn't need them .. why are they on there..??? yes I have used them before and they work easer with them on then without them on.. and I will bet you that you don't have R-12 freon in your system like your older Mustang ( 92 and older )

DON'T TRUST ME... cut them off.. see if I care... I will keep mine on thank you...!!!

Rex
Old 10-04-2006, 04:23 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

I've used the same tools for R134a and for R12 it doesn't matter what they system was designed for, Ford didn't change the quick disconnect fittings.

Here is a link to the same tools Ford sells as OTC makes all of the Ford branded tools: http://www.otctools.com/products/detail.php?id=1812

Notice it says the same spring lock tools work on '81 to current Fords. Also, in reading the service manual for these cars it says to use these same tools NOT that plastic trash to disconnect the line. I am pretty sure if Ford put them there for that purpose then there manual would say to use them.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:55 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

I've used them and they work. I'll stand by my answer.

I think Ford used the KISS principle in this instance.

UB10
Old 10-04-2006, 08:01 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

I left them on because I didn't know what they were, I thought maybe they were some sort of marker like "only use white ringy freon in this car".

I also think they're neat because they dance when the engine is idling, so they might count as underhood bling.

I was a little worried they'd broken off of something, actually, but they didn't.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:04 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

I see that you have rust on your strut screw...so do I. This pisses me off. I got most of the rust off with a brillo pad, but its still there. How did this happen?

Quick Reply: WTF! What is this, extra parts? pics.