Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS - has anyone tried this???

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 06:42 PM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

Default TPMS - has anyone tried this???

for all you 07s with aftermarket rims, have you tried putting all the tire pressure sensors in the spare? does that work? the computer wont know the difference right? as long as the sensors are in teh right pressurized enviornment? does actual location matter?

if that doesnt work, is it possible to reprogram the sensors? i just dont want a tire pressure sensor fault in the comptuer every time i start the car...
Old 10-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: TPMS - has anyone tried this???

07 has a tire pressure monitor from Ford??? [&:]
Old 10-04-2006, 07:14 PM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

It will probably give you an error for too much pressure since the spare (doughnut) is supposed to have around 60psi. Also, there is no way to anchor them in that little wheel which means they will be flopping all over the place, destroying themselves, if you ever have to use your spare. I am in a similiar situation, but since the dealership technically had the wheels put on, in order to make the sale (Mine had fanblades, which I did not like), I'm making them deal with fixing it. Roush is making 20's for '07s now, so they should have either longer bands or extensions to make them fit. There is no way for Ford to turn them off. The dealership tried, but it is listed as a government mandated safety feature that cannot be turned off.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:20 PM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

hmm...i was thinking of taping it to the spare...what if i lower it to 30 psi? my main goal is to get rid of the computer error...i guess i should try it out.

the aftermarket shop does have 20 inch bands in now but i dont trust them to do anything. they used sticky tape to place the sensors and now they are bouncing around all over in the wheels, they cant balance the wheels right, ive had to take it in 4 times already, tomorrow ill be the 5th time and ill just have them take out the sensors and worry about it later. i need to find a competent shop that can actually fit the sensors properly around the wheels, meanwhile i want this as a temporary fix.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:48 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gt7er

hmm...i was thinking of taping it to the spare...what if i lower it to 30 psi? my main goal is to get rid of the computer error...i guess i should try it out.

the aftermarket shop does have 20 inch bands in now but i dont trust them to do anything. they used sticky tape to place the sensors and now they are bouncing around all over in the wheels, they cant balance the wheels right, ive had to take it in 4 times already, tomorrow ill be the 5th time and ill just have them take out the sensors and worry about it later. i need to find a competent shop that can actually fit the sensors properly around the wheels, meanwhile i want this as a temporary fix.
Let us know if you try putting them in the spare. I'm not sure if they go off with over pressure, some systems do. Another idea might be to get a full sized rim and tire for the spare, if it would fit in the trunk. You're going to 20's, could you use one of your original wheels? Have you had your TPMS light go off, and if so how obnoxious is it. I have considered just running with the light on.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:47 PM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

from what ive read the sensor fault msg comes on and all you have to do is push the reset button to make it go away, but you have to keep doing this every time you start the car...
Old 10-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Tungsten07GT

You can order a sensor strap kit from your local dealer, They have kits from 14" to 24" they are about $50.00ea (P/N 6F2A-1A193-A thru M) Hope this helps. also sensors are about $50.00ea the sensors are easy to remove they snap out of its mounting cradle, the kit comes with instructions (6pages)and everything you need but the sensor.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:13 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tungsten07GT

You can order a sensor strap kit from your local dealer, They have kits from 14" to 24" they are about $50.00ea (P/N 6F2A-1A193-A thru M) Hope this helps. also sensors are about $50.00ea the sensors are easy to remove they snap out of its mounting cradle, the kit comes with instructions (6pages)and everything you need but the sensor.
Now that's a good 1st post! I still want to know if putting all 4 sensors in the spare would work.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Huevos Grande

So, to extend the original question, I'll be mounting snows on dedicated rims some time soon (canuck without a winter beater, here). The main reason for putting the snows on dedicated rims of course is so nice & polished stock bullits don't see salt, but a close second is so I don't have to go through the hassle of a tire change twice a year... just a rim swap.

I'm guessing this means I'll need to have to buy a complete set of sensors & straps for the snow rims. Has anybody else done this? Of course, if I could just buy one sensor and throw it in the under-inflated spare, this would be much less of a wa$te..
Old 01-08-2007, 04:42 AM
bcolem10

I put all four sensors in a sealed pvc tube with a valve stemin the end cap. I set the pressure at 32psi the light went out, no problems so far.

Quick Reply: TPMS - has anyone tried this???