Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Dumb Question for Vert Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 08:38 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Default Another Dumb Question for Vert Owners

OK, this may sound dumb, but as you can see I have a vert and I am proud to admit that I have not driven this baby in the rain...yet... and that it sleeps in a garage ovenight. As I was babying (i.e., wax, etc) the car the other day, I got a closer look at the convertible top and got the impression that this top does not or is not sealed around the base...where the top meets the body. As a metter of fact, there are a few spots where you can see that the water will go in...question is....what's the deal? Where in the world the water runs off to? My trunk?

OK, let me have it....lets hear it...
Old 10-05-2006, 10:09 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Another Dumb Question for Vert Owners

do you mean down around the strip on the trunk? its connected way down and drains off, it shouldnt leak, if it does go back to ford

my 02 doesnt leak
Old 10-05-2006, 10:09 PM
TC713
1st Gear Member

Awesome question, not dumb in the least. I'm working with a 2000 though, and unfortunately, my baby does not have a garage.
With the winter approaching, I have been driving it less and less, taking it only on sunny days. The bad news- it sits for extended periods.
The really bad news- I noticed a whole lot of water in my trunk just the other day under my spare. You said you haven't driven yours in the rain yet, so you haven't noticed how
water sits on the convertible ledge, and you hear it trickle off when making turns. (sounds cool actually)
My guess, is that it does indeed build up over time and seeps into the trunk rolls down and gets in through the tail lights. (at least on mine, because their seems to be a big
unsealed gap there)

Good luck and keep her covered.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:32 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Every convertible top has basically this same design. It should NOT leak anywhere into the vehicle. If it does, then something is not sealed properly.....but then it is often a problem to isolate the source of the leak.

my 2006 vert is stored in the garage, but it has been outside for some nasty downpours.....and it has always been dry on the inside....
Old 10-05-2006, 11:18 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

OK, here is the part I am most concerned with...although it does look like a tight seal/fit...one can actually and with minum effort slip a finger or any small object between the canvas/top and the seal around the body....however, if you guys are telling me that this is normal and should not be of concern then I am ok and just hope I am not getting paranoid.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/44692/041E1087E6F846F395F629A4E0F370C6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/44692/80BB6EC43BCE4B62962C02FD43AD9D41.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-05-2006, 11:30 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

its normal
Old 10-05-2006, 11:32 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the quick reply...by the way, just noticed you avatar...it looks like when I was stationed in Germany...rented a Beamer and went to Italy on a germany autobahn....that's how my speedometer looked all the way..of course...I had to stop very often to fill up the tank....
Old 10-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I'v driven my '06 vert for 17K miles in a lot of rain, no leaks.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:56 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Yea, that's normal, the water drains down through the wheel well....If that wasn't there the water would just collect then when you go to put the top down you would definately have water in your trunk...[&o]...

I have had mine since April, and it rains like hell here in florida and I have never had one leak....She does sleep in the garage, but regardless, I am happy with this top design and haven't had one problem yet..knock on wood.

BTW....Ur going to love the convertible, there is no better way to drive around IMO
Old 10-06-2006, 08:05 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

Yea, that's normal, the water drains down through the wheel well....If that wasn't there the water would just collect then when you go to put the top down you would definately have water in your trunk...[&o]...

I have had mine since April, and it rains like hell here in florida and I have never had one leak....She does sleep in the garage, but regardless, I am happy with this top design and haven't had one problem yet..knock on wood.

BTW....Ur going to love the convertible, there is no better way to drive around IMO
+1. Love the convertible. Waited many years to get one and I am glad I finally did it...

Quick Reply: Another Dumb Question for Vert Owners