Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:48 PM
feejay
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

I had a similar water problem which would show up when the car was parked in heavy rain. The "leak guy" said it was from a clogged a cowl drain on the passenger side. After reading these posts I'm not so sure. We had a heavy rain here over the weekend and my '06 is wet again.

On another note, I had a rattle in the dash too, but my service rep said that is a known issue and they have a fix kit for it. Seems the clips that hold the dash covers in place loosen up over time. They replaced the clips and the rattle stopped.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:43 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MdnytRider

Ok, I'm hopeful I may have sealed the water leak. I removed the passenger side inner wheel well behind the tire. There is a pair of grommets there where a big wiring harness and the antenna come through the firewall (see the picture). Yesterday, I laid inside the car while the wife sprayed water on the right side of the car and it looked like water was coming in there. So today I spread clear silicone around the grommets, waited for it to cure and sprayed water on it again. So far, no water inside.

I'm curious though, how many people have noticed this problem only when parking their car facing uphill. I think it would lend some credence to my theory if it didn't happen when the car was parked facing downhill, as the water would run away from the grommet on the firewall.

Also, if anyone else decides to try this method, let me know if it works for you too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48028/D4415FF5258A490FB43B89831CA2BB86.jpg[/IMG]
I just got my car back from the dealership for this issue (and a rattle in the center console which indeed they fixed by stuffing insulation into the console.... love not having that rattle now!).

I will post up the exact words from my service printout, but they did indeed refer to the grommet in the firewall as being "misaligned". They either re-alligned it or installed a new one correctly. They did say that thay saw water entering there during testing - not a lot, but then I am sure they did not test it for very long. I have not had an opportunity to put it to the test myself, but I will comment when I do and if it stopped the leak. I feel reasonably confident though that this is the place where the water gets into the passenger side inside and I was happy to see that they actually found an issue that some of you have found on your own. Much better than saying that they could not replicate it or that it was from a clogged drain plug or something.

I also took my own photo of the area where the water appears in the passenger floor area. The service guys really liked that rather than thinking I was a nut. They said they wished more people would bring photos of issues of this nature so that they can see for themselves just where to start troubleshooting.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:46 PM
IStangedMyPants

I've been following this thread for a week or so, and we've had at least 2-3 hard days rain in SC and I haven't found any moisture in the padding near the kick plate on the passenger side. I plan to keep checking, but I wanted to chime in as one of those with "No problems so far". I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping this is not an issue for everyone with s197 body style.

Also its worth noting that there aren't any hills in the "lowcountry" so even when I wash or it rains, my car is pretty much flat/level always.

2007 GT Coupe
Old 12-05-2006, 10:09 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

I don't know if this is the problem but I keep seeing the bunch of wires coming through the rubber gromet on a downward angle. I know from my years in construction that when electricians or cable guys or phone co. run wires into a house they put a drip loop in wire so water can't run down the side of the wire. Has anyone tried to hang the bunch of wires higher inside the car so water can't flow in. May not be enough slack. Just a thought. I'll be checking mine tomorrow!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:46 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

And - as promised - here is the quote from my service receipt pertaining to the warrantly leak work I just had done Nov. 29th:

WIRING HARNESS BOOT MISALLIGNED AT BULK HEAD ALLOWING WATER INTRUSION UNDER HEAVY RAIN RE-SEAT BOOT DRY FLOOR AND CARPETING AND RETEST OK

Welper, that's it folks. I still have not tested it for myself. I am fairly busy much of the time and so I may not run water on it for hours..... but I very interested in test driving it through some puddles and heavy rain. If it does rain next when I am at home, I will go move the car from the garage out into the rain on the same slight incline that produced water in the carpet before. Once again, I'll post the results as soon as I know. For right now, I am only "hoping" that was really the fix. Fingers crossed!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

thanks rasguedo...i will be checking this shortly!
Old 12-09-2006, 06:51 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Here are a couple of pics showing the wiring harness in question...

and a close up

I haven't decided yet, if I'm going to add silicone sealer in this area or not....

ORIGINAL: celenztah

And - as promised - here is the quote from my service receipt pertaining to the warrantly leak work I just had done Nov. 29th:

WIRING HARNESS BOOT MISALLIGNED AT BULK HEAD ALLOWING WATER INTRUSION UNDER HEAVY RAIN RE-SEAT BOOT DRY FLOOR AND CARPETING AND RETEST OK

Welper, that's it folks. I still have not tested it for myself. I am fairly busy much of the time and so I may not run water on it for hours..... but I very interested in test driving it through some puddles and heavy rain. If it does rain next when I am at home, I will go move the car from the garage out into the rain on the same slight incline that produced water in the carpet before. Once again, I'll post the results as soon as I know. For right now, I am only "hoping" that was really the fix. Fingers crossed!

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/E5CA36AE6B3B4CE7944C085E6C316C87.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/B2C89ED3DF8A4F53BA257E8300C9734E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-10-2006, 02:47 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

12/10/2006

First steady rain conditions since my dealership's leak "fix" of re-alligning the wiring harness boot and here are the official results:

I was in a moderate, steady rain long enough to eat breakfast and shop at Sam's. No major puddles, no parking on an incline even.

Needless to say I am PO'd! I'm going to show up at the dealership at 7am tomorrow morning and rent a car. They had better be prepared to pay for this car rental considering my service rep clearly stated last time "I am NOT going to let your car leave here with a leak in it".

This is really a hassle and is making me sick. I've gone from love this car to disappointed with this car to love this car to disappointed to love and now back to disappointed. If the leak gets fixed, I'll love it again provided nothing else rears its ugly head. I've had it long enough to work out most the kinks (including the fuel pump TSB), so maybe this is the last of the BS??? Please?????!!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 04:03 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Hang in there, the leak problem should get resolved
eventually....

Here is another promising fix to the leak issue....

quote:

ORIGINAL: bajalady

Hi. New to the forums here but found this after searching because of a horrible smell in my '06 GT. After reading the posts checked the passenger floor and sure enough under the carpet was wet. Took it to the dealer and just got it back last week. It was raining on the trip home about an hours drive and rained for 2 days after. The car appears to have stayed dry. Not much on tech terms but here's what they found , leak found around body seam on ps front under wiper cowl. Resealed seam and put cowl and wipers back on. Not sure if this helps anyone out but its worth a look. Also had the dash rattle and TSB06-4-1 seems to have fixed that as well. Car is stored for the winter now but will report back if the problem reoccurs. Good luck all!
Old 12-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

OMG i just bought a mustang and it's leaking on the first day!

J/k...no mustang YET.

why isnt this a sticky?

Quick Reply: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS