Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 08:33 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

ORIGINAL: bascho

BTW, the only issue being discussed on the tech message board regarding the S197 is the noise made at the RH front wheel when going over a small bump in the road.
I might be able to save you some time here.

I had the same issue and thought.........holy sh** what was that sound........man sounded like the right front (passenger side) wheel or shock was going to fall off anytime.

It wasnt until I took off the front sway bar that I noticed, on the drivers side, when loosening the sway bar nut on the front strut that it felt like it had been torqued, it was difficult to break loose.
But on the passenger side when I went to undo the sway bar nut from the strut it felt as though the nut had not been torqued. This nut was too easy to remove. The sway bar is just flopping around on the passenger side of the car.

Ever since I've removed the sway bar I have not heard the clunking sound. I have installed the BMR front sway delete kit and installed the dual strut tower brace bars.

Thanks for jumping in...........always good to hear from someone that works for Ford.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29830/6440D552249E421288313E1CFD84A915.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-19-2006, 09:59 AM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sst06vert

how can you reach into the pads from the picture encircled?
If you are referring to my photo with the white circle, I believe folks are referring to opening that little panel above my drawn circle and reaching in through it and down. I've never done this myself though since my water has wound up visible and detectable by feel on the outside of the panel in my carpet.

EDIT: I'm willing to bet though that there's been times that my padding was wet within that panel area from leaks that just didn't produce enough water to soak through to the outside visible area.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:29 AM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT John

I might be able to save you some time here.

I had the same issue and thought.........holy sh** what was that sound........man sounded like the right front (passenger side) wheel or shock was going to fall off anytime.

It wasnt until I took off the front sway bar that I noticed, on the drivers side, when loosening the sway bar nut on the front strut that it felt like it had been torqued, it was difficult to break loose.
But on the passenger side when I went to undo the sway bar nut from the strut it felt as though the nut had not been torqued. This nut was too easy to remove. The sway bar is just flopping around on the passenger side of the car.

Ever since I've removed the sway bar I have not heard the clunking sound. I have installed the BMR front sway delete kit and installed the dual strut tower brace bars.

Thanks for jumping in...........always good to hear from someone that works for Ford.
Thanks for the info.....I'll post that up on the board for the techs.

Glad to help.....I'm not only a Ford employee....I'm a customer. Most people think Ford is run by robots.......but we are people just like you and we all drive a Ford just like you. No one likes to have problems with their car.......us included. But Ford testing the cars we have at the assy plant may not yield a fix to something that is happening out in the field. What if a plug that was installed on the line is falling out after 6 months of driving.......that condition can not be corrected by testing the brand new Mustangs on the lot.

I know some of you don't want to be test dummies for a possible TSB or recall......but if everyone felt like that then nothing will be done.

BTW, I pulled off the passenger side kick panel and pulled up the carpeting.......mine was completely dry. I have a 2006 GT Coupe. My car is garage kept......but sits outside my office all day during the work week. It's been raining most of the week so if I had a problem my carpet/pad should have been damp. Have not driven through any large puddles recently (I usually try to avoid those anyway).
Old 10-19-2006, 11:38 AM
sst06vert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: celenztah

ORIGINAL: sst06vert

how can you reach into the pads from the picture encircled?
If you are referring to my photo with the white circle, I believe folks are referring to opening that little panel above my drawn circle and reaching in through it and down. I've never done this myself though since my water has wound up visible and detectable by feel on the outside of the panel in my carpet.

EDIT: I'm willing to bet though that there's been times that my padding was wet within that panel area from leaks that just didn't produce enough water to soak through to the outside visible area.
Thank You for the pic and response
Old 10-19-2006, 12:00 PM
2005MustangGtGuy
2nd Gear Member

I just checked mine and its completely dry, never leaked. However I never drive my car in the rain, but it does sit outside when it rains.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:00 PM
MdnytRider
1st Gear Member

I'm cross posting this reply from another post because they're both the same basic subject. I tore apart the car today, and I'm hopeful I may have sealed the water leak. I removed the passenger side inner wheel well behind the tire. There is a pair of grommets there where a big wiring harness and the antenna come through the firewall (see the picture). Yesterday, I laid inside the car while the wife sprayed water on the right side of the car and it looked like water was coming in there. So today I spread clear silicone around the grommets, waited for it to cure and sprayed water on it again. So far, no water inside.

I'm curious though, how many people have noticed this problem only when parking their car facing uphill. I think it would lend some credence to my theory if it didn't happen when the car was parked facing downhill, as the water would run away from the grommet on the firewall.

Also, if anyone else decides to try this method, let me know if it works for you too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48028/EE8E00213FDB48F28132280D4083FB51.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-20-2006, 01:51 AM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the photos. When i asked a ford dealer last weekend if they ever heard of this problem they said they didnt. Perhaps this is something no one noticed for 2 year?!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:27 AM
MdnytRider
1st Gear Member

Bump for a quick update. After a night of steady rain the interior is still dry. So, fingers crossed, I think I got it.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Huevos Grande

Have a three week old '07 GT vert, checked pretty thoroughly, can't find a leak anywhere in my car, including the trunk (complaint on another thread). My car sits outside 24/7, and it's been raining perpetually for the past few days. Also ran through some pretty deep puddles the last couple of drives... not a drop inside.

Perhaps it's been "fixed" in '07. Or I'm lucky. Or it's too soon to tell...
Old 10-20-2006, 11:03 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

Felt around near the passenger side panel and all is dry....
-
Here is a pic of the passenger side firewall area, the black
boot is where water drains down from the windsheild wiper
hole(s) in the cowl. The hole shown in the pic is some crazy
shiz....not sure why Ford would allow water to drain into
that area of the body.....

this has GOT to be what my friend is talking about with the cowl. if you pour a bunch of water down it looks like it would drain into that black thing, but i bet that could be where the problem is that causes leaking. also that hole sure has to be a contributor...

secondly, i am going to get a pic of that air filter to show you guys how THAT leaks right into the smartbox.

Quick Reply: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS