Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble downshifting into 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 05:54 PM
shaner

Default Trouble downshifting into 2nd gear

My is only like 2 weeks old and has approx. 1,000 km on it (600 miles or so) and this problem started a few days ago and is getting worse and worse.

I can shift from 1st to 2nd with no problem. But when I try to downshift from 3rd into 2nd, I have to almost force it. It doesn't seem to want to go into 2nd gear. The odd time it will go no problem, but most of the time I really have to give it a yank.
I've tried different speeds, different RPM's, double clutching, etc, etc, etc.
Regardless of what I do, the problem is there.

The car obviously has warranty left, but will the dealer try to blame this on me, by saying I wore the clutch or something like that? The damn thing is 2 weeks old, even if I was the worst driver in the world, I still couldn't wear the clutch that quickly. Am I likely to get attitude from the Ford dealer, or should they take care of this with no complaints?

Any idea on what it could be?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:20 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Trouble downshifting into 2nd gear

You didn't mention whether you have the V-6 or the GT. That's an important detail.

The transmission in my V-6 Mustang is stiffer than any other manual transmission that I've owned in at least 8 different cars. I find that it just takes more force to shift.

It also matters how fast you're going and what the engine speed is. If I try to shift from 3rd to 2nd when the engine will be at about 5000 rpms in 2nd, it's going to be difficult to make the shift. If the engine is at 1200 rpms in 3rd and I'm going to 2nd, it will still be under 2000 and it's a totally easy shift.

How about some more details on your problem?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:27 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

I dont think you'll have a problem at your dealer. If the problem came because you couldnt drive a stick then you wouldnt be able to go into other gears smoothly, so Ford should recognize that there is a problem with their stuff that is different from someone screwing the clutch up. Usually, if the clutch is worn from poor driving, it results in gear slippage etc, but not the symptoms that you are complaining of. Worst case scenario, they tell you that they won't and then you'll be back to where you are now anyway. hope all goes well.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30670/9A599CFA69D24FF595944850F685E9F1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-11-2006, 06:58 PM
frodaddi
1st Gear Member

When my 06 GT was brand new (less than a week old) it suddenly became almost impossible to shift into ANY gear. Took it to the dealer and they had the hardest time figuring out what was wrong. Replaced the clutch master cylinder, no help. Replaced the clutch, no help. Around and around they went, took over two weeks to diagnose the problem, finally had to get Ford engineering involved.

It turned out to be a bad flywheel. After the flywheel was replaced, all has been well since. Wanted to mention this to you just in case, since it never seemed to occur to anyone at the dealer to investigate this as a possible cause.

Good luck,
Kevin.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:01 PM
shaner

Sorry.
I have the V6.

I don't know what other details to post. It just sometimes won't go into 2nd and I have to use a fair bit of force to get her to go.
I realize it's stiff, but this is unreasonably stiff.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:16 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shaner

Sorry.
I have the V6.

I don't know what other details to post. It just sometimes won't go into 2nd and I have to use a fair bit of force to get her to go.
I realize it's stiff, but this is unreasonably stiff.
It would also help to know how fast your engine is running, or how fast your car is going when this happens.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:22 PM
shaner

It doesn't matter.

I have tried everything from 2,000 RPM's up to like 4,000. I've tried doing anywhere from 15 km/hr to about 50 km/hr.
It always does it, regardless of how I'm driving the car.

It's an 07 by the way, although I imagine everyone already knew that.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:29 PM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frodaddi

When my 06 GT was brand new (less than a week old) it suddenly became almost impossible to shift into ANY gear. Took it to the dealer and they had the hardest time figuring out what was wrong. Replaced the clutch master cylinder, no help. Replaced the clutch, no help. Around and around they went, took over two weeks to diagnose the problem, finally had to get Ford engineering involved.

It turned out to be a bad flywheel. After the flywheel was replaced, all has been well since. Wanted to mention this to you just in case, since it never seemed to occur to anyone at the dealer to investigate this as a possible cause.

Good luck,
Kevin.
It's good to hear that they figured it out - but what a disaster. Is it really Fix Or Repair Daily?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:40 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shaner

It doesn't matter.

I have tried everything from 2,000 RPM's up to like 4,000. I've tried doing anywhere from 15 km/hr to about 50 km/hr.
It always does it, regardless of how I'm driving the car.

It's an 07 by the way, although I imagine everyone already knew that.
If I were you, I would head straight for the dealer and make sure they let you go along on the test drive to see what the problem is. A good dealer will get it fixed for you.

I don't know about your dealer, but mine has been excellent about fixing various little things wrong with my car. I generally explain what seems to be wrong and ask if it's supposed to be like that and they volunteer to correct the problem.

So far they've replaced the passenger side rear window (convertible) because the rubber seal ripped during normal use, and they've replaced the entire convertible top because it was installed incorrectly and wore a hole in the left side.

As long as they fix the little annoying things, I'm happy. I really like my Mustang convertible, even if it did have a few flaws in it.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

Is the V-6 manual tranny a side loader or a top loader?

Shaner - Do you have any problems upshifting from second to third? Could be the syncronizer between 2 and 3.

BB

Quick Reply: Trouble downshifting into 2nd gear