Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nobody ever brags about how well the S197 handles!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 01:06 AM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Nobody ever brags about how well the S197 handles!

Gee mail 906 how did you become the man to decide for us all what our oppinions ought to be? I cant begin to understand why you would compare a BMW and its handling abilities to a Mustang's. There are not comparable other that they both have four wheels. Your benchmark for fun is low sir!

Remember everyone has an oppinion. and because you dont dont share it, does not render everyone else wrong. You have no grasp of what the new Mustang offered apparently or you wouldnt have bought the car. Lighten up....try to enjoy life!
Old 10-14-2006, 01:09 AM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

Rt1Rebel -

I think you are right. We are coming at this from entirely different points of view.

My viewpoint is this:

Question #1: Is the Mustang in stock form an above average handling vehicle, yet alone a good or excellent handling vehicle? Answer: No.

Question $2: Does it handle well enough to accomodate the power / torque that it has? Answer: No.

[My reference point here is the model year 2007 and the GT (V8) version only.]

I am trying to eliminate the "I am comparing it to my 1980 Granada" or the "I am comparing it to my 2007 Ferrari" nonsense.

That's all. Let's evaluate the vehicle for what IT is.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:16 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

I think you went a little far in the extremes there, mail, but so be it. I stand by my original post, which is to say that much lighter cars (not ferraris or porsches or vettes) have a very hard time keeping up with my S197 on a turn.

Question #1: Is the Mustang in stock form an above average handling vehicle, yet alone a good or excellent handling vehicle? Answer: No.
I disagree, I think it is at least above average, if not highly capable.

Question $2: Does it handle well enough to accomodate the power / torque that it has? Answer: No.
Skewed question. The way you phrase it? No. If it had 260 HP? Or 240? Then maybe yes. Let's face it, the Mustang is heavily biased toward HP instead of handling for the $.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:31 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

I think "feel" and "hard" numbers cloud people.....a BMW won't magically negotiate a turn at 5-10 mph faster than a Mustang S197, I don't care who's driving. If the S197 is so horrible then why does it turn the skidpad at .88g compared to a 3 series Bimmer at .86g?
I realize the Bimmer's nimbleness and accurate steering inspire major confidence and should, it's a $15-20K more expensive car for less straight-line performance and a headache at servicing time( I realize BMW offers bumper to bumper free maintenance on newer models). If I'm gonna choose between a $40K 225hp 325i or a 300hp $26K GT....duh, I'm not made of money and with the S197's great balance(weight distribution) less than $5k in parts makes for a great handling car. If I wasn't impressed by a car, I wouldn't buy it.........interrupt that as you wish.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:42 AM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mail906

ORIGINAL: algregory

Glad to hear! I have an old highly modified BMW 3' series that is light, and tossable. I tossed it a lot. The GT is a great handling ride, may not be as "tossable" but it really surprises me often! My old car only weighed in at 2,500 pounds.
We should all do ourselves a favor and try to differentiate between Mustang enthusiasm and reality.

I have a 07 GT vert and frankly, I love the vehicle. But it's handling is far from desirable, and since I have some other vehicles, I have a basis of comparison (both present and past). My BMW embarasses the Mustang in terms of handling. Raw acceleration no but handling - definitely. My 07 is a 5 spd. manual.

The stock Mustang needs help in the way of handling. I am attempting to determine the right blend of suspension modifications that will help the car WITHOUT lowering it. [Any advice will be appreciated.] Under hard acceleration - 100+ mph - it's now scary. In addition, my Mustang is the first new vehicle that I have ever had that will bottom out on a bump routinely if I do not compensate for it.

And as a final comment, the lack of IRS sucks. As we all know all know, a moderate to heavy bump under acceleration feels like the back end of the car is about to be ripped off.

We all love these things, but for the sake of expanding everyone's knowledge, let's keep the opinions factual. As well, let's forget the value equation - the Mustang is a good buy - and save all the "I love my Mustang" C**P for the ladies. Yeah - it is a good buy. OK. Now how do we improve the vehicle? That is what I'd like to understand better.
Why dont ya just sell that piece a crapp, ya got talked into buying.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Cindy
4th Gear Member

05SDI... That is one sharp Yellow Looking Pony!!!!! [sm=smiley16.gif]
Old 10-14-2006, 01:55 AM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

After reflection, I agree with mail906 on his 2nd question. He is right in that the stock 07 GT 5 speed, of which I own also, does need some help to really handle the power and torque even in stock form. I have added a Brenspeed 93 octance tune and C&L CAI and the power and torque are greatly improved from idle to full throttle. The lag in the throttle responce off idle in a stock 07 GT is great! After the tune, it snaps rpms very very quickly.

All this made the car a new creature to drive, and it took a few days to get used to it pulling so hard every where. But if you lack driving ability, and by this, I mean if you never drove a high performance car to speak of, the 07 Mustang can kill you! You just need to know it's limitations, and more importantly "your own ". But I have to disagree with question 1. Is the stock Mustang GT an above average handling car let alone a good one?

I say definitly! I dont know how anyone could claim the 07 GT is not an above average or in fact very good handling car. Your determination has to be realitive to what you were used to driving does'nt it? I mean, for example for the last 8 years, I have been driving a 98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. You cant even talk about a comparison between the handling of the two, so naturally I would have a sense that my new Mustang is a handling sob!

Of course the Jeep would beat it in a mud bog easy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47655/11A647C6576B476D9B65117E5B41C7A4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47655/2291A22B7E114BDAAA52C19739C84756.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47655/5905DA4BAF2949A4A6DD26F09CCEF473.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-14-2006, 02:59 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Warlok

After reflection, I agree with mail906 on his 2nd question. He is right in that the stock 07 GT 5 speed, of which I own also, does need some help to really handle the power and torque even in stock form. I have added a Brenspeed 93 octance tune and C&L CAI and the power and torque are greatly improved from idle to full throttle. The lag in the throttle responce off idle in a stock 07 GT is great! After the tune, it snaps rpms very very quickly.

All this made the car a new creature to drive, and it took a few days to get used to it pulling so hard every where. But if you lack driving ability, and by this, I mean if you never drove a high performance car to speak of, the 07 Mustang can kill you! You just need to know it's limitations, and more importantly "your own ". But I have to disagree with question 1. Is the stock Mustang GT an above average handling car let alone a good one?

I say definitly! I dont know how anyone could claim the 07 GT is not an above average or in fact very good handling car. Your determination has to be realitive to what you were used to driving does'nt it? I mean, for example for the last 8 years, I have been driving a 98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. You cant even talk about a comparison between the handling of the two, so naturally I would have a sense that my new Mustang is a handling sob!

Of course the Jeep would beat it in a mud bog easy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47655/11A647C6576B476D9B65117E5B41C7A4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47655/2291A22B7E114BDAAA52C19739C84756.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47655/5905DA4BAF2949A4A6DD26F09CCEF473.jpg[/IMG]
Hmmmmm interesting.......I agree that the performance in the S197 can overwhelm the novice to the average driver......but isn't this true of ALL performance cars????? What about that dude that destroyed a 1 million dollar Ezno? I'm sure that car handles like nobodies business..but in the hands of the unfamiliar is a death waiting to happen. Will the driver that can't control an Enzo claim that the car is too powerful for it's chassis? To say the S197 is an incapable car is just not understanding the limitations of said vehicle. To say the car needs help to control 300 or 350 hp is someone who should consider finding THEIR limitations with said car in a controlled environment. Just because you step on the gas doesn't mean there's a fairy godmother to take care of all the harmful things that can happen behind the wheel. Driving is an acquired skill, it doesn't happen because you happen to be behind the wheel and therefore all is safe and well. All cars are not created equal(obviously) and I'm sure someone who's driven an original Mini Cooper would probably be terrified the first time behind the wheel of an S197 GT.......is the Mini a better handling car? Yes and no. Yes, because of it's ability to inspire confidence and it's fantastic feedback to the driver. No, because it's ultimate levels of adhesion pale in comparison to any modern performance car. Will it get down the track faster? Probably not because of a lack of hp. Yes, given similar power/weight ratio it should be able to embarrass a many more expensive and powerful foe. What does this all prove? It takes the skill of a master to bring everything out in any given car, just because you're not "used" to a way a car reacts doesn't mean it's a bad handling car, just means you're not familiar with it. I, for one, don't for a second believe that an S197 is a poor handling vehicle, it isn't perfect and could use some enhancements, but incapable? Come on......you should try driving an '84 GT with the TRX package, then you'll see how well this car handles. I'm sure if the S197 GT had more supportive seats, a lot of opinions would change. Sliding around in a seat can ruin a driving experience. JMO
Old 10-14-2006, 03:59 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Thank you Cindy!

To say the S197 in stock trim doesn't handle is so untrue! I guess I'd have to ask how were you swindled into buying one?
Is it the best handling car under $25,000 I'd guess not, Is it the fastest or quickest car under $25,000 hmmm I'd guess no here too, Now it as good and any new car when you weigh in all the factors; style, performance, cost, heritage, and all around appeal... Yep wins that one hands down!
Next question please...
05SDI
Old 10-14-2006, 04:33 AM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel

Mail906, your ideas are based on your experiences as are mine. You are comparing the S197 to cars known for handling, I am basing mine on my experience on the road against lighter cars that should handle well and against my '88 5.0 vert. We are coming at this arguement from distinctly opposite directions. I only content that my S197 is surprisingly nimble for a 3700 lb american muscle car.
I agree with Mail906. I am a mustang enthusiast, but i do know that enthusiasm can cloud the mind. Coming from a diehard group of S2000 members at Deals Gap it's safe to say the Mustang wasn't engineered specifically for the track. Yes, it's improving this generation but cmon, it weighs 3400lbs. It aint no 2600 lb Honda with an IRS. I think Ford should break the mold and say "we can and will make a muscle car handle" instead of trying to out-power the oncoming competitors they should start making the Mustang Lighter and more efficient. The way american car companies try to hang on to old traditions is silly. Times change, muscle dosent have to equal heavy. If they keep going the way they're doing things "muscle cars" will be a joke in 15 years.

And 3700 lbs?! Did it gain weight between 06-07? [:-][:-][:-]

Quick Reply: Nobody ever brags about how well the S197 handles!