Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying an 07 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 11:02 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking of buying an 07 GT

ORIGINAL: PeteK

Im thinking of buying an 07 GT in the spring time now that i can comfortably afford 2 vehicles. So im just wondering, too everyone that owns a S197, are you happy with it? other cars im looking at getting are an 03/04 cobra, or a mk4 supra. Ive been doing a lot of research on the new mustang and it seems like they take well to boltons however so do my 2 other choice cars, but it would be nice to hear some feedback from owners of modifed stangs. my plans would be eventually full boltons and a blower or a turbocharger but we will see. when i was 16 i owned a 95 LX 5spd and it was a blast and then i sold it and bought an 87 supra which was faster but had to sell it do to me moving to calgary. im not really a newb when it comes to cars but it would be nice to hear from some owners. Thanks in advance and please dont flame me for liking supras... its in my blood.
Seems to me that you've already excluded the Supra due to it's cost and age. So I guess it's between a Terminator and an S197 GT.
My honest opinion? Since it sounds like you live in Canada(Brrrrrrrr) and that means cars with special status(i.e. vintage muscle, high performance modern and rare classics) aren't used as often as where I live(SoCal) where year around driving in one car is possible. I wouldn't touch a used Terminator(even though I love them) just because of the fact that it's a performance car and who knows what the previous owner might have done to it(that's true with all used cars, but with a fast car, who's to say it wasn't severely abused?). I realize a used Terminator and a new S197 GT are around the same price right now....but for your hard earned cash wouldn't you want something brand new? A Terminator is a future classic(IMO) and should be treated as such, a garden variety S197 GT is for having fun with altering it, if that's your bag. My take is having something that wasn't abused and has a full warranty for the amount I'm indebted for. The Terminator will always be faster because of it's head start on the driveline department(S/C'd 32v V-8, 6 speed trans, IRS, etc.).......do you want the fastest car? Get a Terminator. If you want a new car with a warranty and gobs of new products being developed for it as we speak, then it would have to be the S197 GT. JMHO [sm=signs003.gif]
Old 10-14-2006, 11:31 PM
PeteK

Default RE: Thinking of buying an 07 GT

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver
Seems to me that you've already excluded the Supra due to it's cost and age. So I guess it's between a Terminator and an S197 GT.
My honest opinion? Since it sounds like you live in Canada(Brrrrrrrr) and that means cars with special status(i.e. vintage muscle, high performance modern and rare classics) aren't used as often as where I live(SoCal) where year around driving in one car is possible. I wouldn't touch a used Terminator(even though I love them) just because of the fact that it's a performance car and who knows what the previous owner might have done to it(that's true with all used cars, but with a fast car, who's to say it wasn't severely abused?). I realize a used Terminator and a new S197 GT are around the same price right now....but for your hard earned cash wouldn't you want something brand new? A Terminator is a future classic(IMO) and should be treated as such, a garden variety S197 GT is for having fun with altering it, if that's your bag. My take is having something that wasn't abused and has a full warranty for the amount I'm indebted for. The Terminator will always be faster because of it's head start on the driveline department(S/C'd 32v V-8, 6 speed trans, IRS, etc.).......do you want the fastest car? Get a Terminator. If you want a new car with a warranty and gobs of new products being developed for it as we speak, then it would have to be the S197 GT. JMHO
haha calgary isnt that cold.. sometimes it is but for the most part the weather is buetiful, im about 2 1/2 hours away from the montana border but anyway. I totally agree with you on getting a used Mustang cobra and having a brand new Mustang, theres just something about getting a brand new car that is so awesome. I am leaning towards and 07 but if i find a good deal on a terminator that may change things but we will have to see come spring time. Thank you for your insight.