Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK T-body

Old 10-15-2006, 10:56 PM
CS/GT 07

Default BBK T-body

I really don't understand what is going on. I installed a BBK throttle body, after the install. I received a wrench light and engine light. I had no throttle at all...

I put my factory throttle body back on with the same results. It's like the computer is now in some kind of failsafe mode. My throttle body will not open when I give it gas. At first I thought the TPS was out of sync with the throttle body (180degrees) out. I have taken off the actuator and turned the ignition on and gave it gas and watched the actuator motor spin as I gave it gas. Which it seems to be working fine. I’ve closed the throttle body butter fly, and let the actuator go to the close position and put it back on with the same results. I can floor the car and only get 800 rpms. I’m so confused why this is happening. I have a SCT programmer coming tomorrow. We’ll see if that does anything with the computer. Any Ideas?

Also, I've disconnected the battery to no avail. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Claytone
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: BBK T-body

sounds like you sent the ECU into failsafe mode. I'm assumin you dont have a handheld tuner, but one of these would be able to tell you what the problem is, and clear the error code on the ECU. Your best bet is to disconnect the battery for 15 min. or so, then restart, that should work. If not, you will have to take it into ford, or buy a handheld tuner.

by the way, there have been many write ups on here about Throttle body spacers, and how bad they are for these cars, in that they offer no results, and cause problems like you are having. do a search for throttle body spacers on here to see.

good luck.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:18 AM
DuFFMaNN
4th Gear Member

Happened to my friend, but he was drving down the road when it went into failsafe mode. What is happening is your TB is stuck wide open. Make sure you tightend the spring on the side of the TB (by the gears) correctly.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:49 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Definatley do a search on the forum. Throttle Body threads come up often. A lot of people have these problems, the throttle bodies show no gains and are virtually assured to cause problems like this.

I would think that if you properly re-install the OEM throttle body and reflash the computer to stock you should be OK. Attempting to install the new TB without a tuner was a mistake. You may be able to fix it when you get your tuner. If not, you'll probably have to go back to the dealer. If I were you, I wouldn't even mention the new TB when you see the dealer, otherwise you're signing yourself up for a lot of headaches.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:26 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Al do you have pictures of your car, i've never seen any pictures of your ride. Not trying to hiijack, just love checking out other peoples stangs.

-Jeff
Old 10-16-2006, 05:39 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

What made you think that a TB was the best first mod to do to your new machine? Unless you are going with some sort of power-adder, a new TB is pretty much worthless and not worth the time. And even if you do go with a blower or something, it isn't worth much except in a few cases, (some folks have seen a 20 hp increase with a PA and TB tuned).

Put the stocker back on, clear your codes, and drive on. If you get more codes, check them with your new SCT, then take the car to the dealership and have them look at it, (likely you have the TSB involving the Throttle Position Sensor). They shoudl fix it. If they give you grief and claim a voided warruntee, just buy the TPS (about $74) and replace it yourself, (takes 5 minutes).
Old 10-16-2006, 07:19 AM
CS/GT 07

You guys rock... Best forum I've been on thus far. Sounds like I have several problems.
1: the spring is not tight enough.
2: ECU in failsafe mode.

Actually, my first mode was a GMS CAI. Initially, I had problems with this at first. GMS sent me another Jumper and fixed the problem. GMS claims around 37hp increase with the t-body and CAI. Now I think it’s “BS†I’ll probably put my stock t-body back on and send the BBK back for a refund –restock fee, and use that money for exhaust.

Thanks, for the great help.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:47 PM
middle aged kid

i had the same problem i wanted it in fast like i did on my 04,so after i got my wrench and no power i read the directions i removed the neg. battery term.let it sit for a 1/2 hr.then i started it without my foot touching the acc. pedal let it idle for 45mins. the computer retrained the tb and no problems since...good luck i know it a old post
Old 10-21-2006, 09:36 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Actually Dan, the only problem you really have is that you installed the TB in the first place. Try to unload it on Ebay and spend the money on another mod..you'll be glad you did!
Old 10-21-2006, 11:06 PM
DuFFMaNN
4th Gear Member

goodluck