Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painted mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:42 PM
mhahnjr
1st Gear Member

Default RE: painted mirrors

for removing them, sanding them, painting and clearcoatuing them, and putting them back on.

+1 to fairlane292 I was disapointed at first because on the front on the mirrors they didn't sand it as well as I would have. But they still look great and you can't tell unless you know what you are looking for where the defects are

I am very pleased with them and the look is the greatest!

They have been done for umm 6 months or so. The painter said I shouldn't have to worry too much about chipping.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:59 PM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

You will have to worry about chipping/pitting. My 04 had the cobra painted mirrors on it and they got really bad
Old 10-19-2006, 09:44 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

You only have to worry about chipping/pitting if the workmanship/materials are sub par. A stone will chip any surface of the car no matter what car mfg; OE paint or paint shop. Too much clear will chip more easily than a std 2-3 coat application. Need to use adehsion promoter on the bare plastic after smoothing. You are best off if adehsion promoter, primer, base and CC are all done in one session (leaving days in between you lose the affect of adhesion properties) So yeah, if it's done right, no need to worry. They sit a lot higher than everything else on the front of your car that is plowing through airborn road debris.

I thought about doing the window edge but on a black GT I felt doing the mirrors was enough. The window surround would also need sanding and I was afraid that it was an area that could be prone to a carless passenger with jewelery or something flying around that would chip it. But on another color, I'd give it some serious consideration.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:36 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

Thats was something I thought about, but I left it alone.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:37 PM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

Then you are saying that factory OEM is sub par. Because my car came w/ painted mirrors and they were very very badly pitted

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

You only have to worry about chipping/pitting if the workmanship/materials are sub par. A stone will chip any surface of the car no matter what car mfg; OE paint or paint shop. Too much clear will chip more easily than a std 2-3 coat application. Need to use adehsion promoter on the bare plastic after smoothing. You are best off if adehsion promoter, primer, base and CC are all done in one session (leaving days in between you lose the affect of adhesion properties) So yeah, if it's done right, no need to worry. They sit a lot higher than everything else on the front of your car that is plowing through airborn road debris.

I thought about doing the window edge but on a black GT I felt doing the mirrors was enough. The window surround would also need sanding and I was afraid that it was an area that could be prone to a carless passenger with jewelery or something flying around that would chip it. But on another color, I'd give it some serious consideration.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:57 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Could be quality issue, maybe not. I had a 1988 Accord with OE white matching mirrors. Drove the car 212k before giving it to my daughter. Only a two or three minor pits/chips on each mirror from flying debris. My 2000 Mits Galant has 115k and I have no pits or chips on them. All of these are plastic. So I can't tell what what could be up with the ones you speak of. Like I said flying stone debris will cut through any paint system so maybe it's a matter of geographic location, driving conditions, how close you follow trucks, etc. than the paint application. Let me ask you this; if the mirrors were full of pits, what did the front facia and leading edge of the hood have for damage? I can tell you that on both cars I mentioned above there are plenty of pits on the front bumper, but that's in a low, plow position as you motor down the highway, unlike the mirrors which are much higher. But you know what a windshield looks like after 60k, 80k, 100+k, very fine pits from sand essentially.