Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone see or using this intake kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 08:09 PM
tpafire5
1st Gear Member

Default Anyone see or using this intake kit?

whats your opinion on this?

[IMG]local://upfiles/49605/16BDE59DEA2A4CA8BEE72205E34A607B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone see or using this intake kit?

This intake makes the most power out of all available, I do believe. You have to relocate some things in your engine compartment, such as your coolant tank. Hence why it's not "the preferred" choice.

C&L's intake is the most popular, followed closely by the JLT II. Remember, if you purchase an intake you will need a handheld tuner (SCT Recommended). Not just for more power, but because your car simply won't run correctly without it (Or at all).
Old 10-17-2006, 08:44 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I'm not particularly fond of it.

According to one magazine review, it's only in the "middle of the pack" with respect to power. The JLT was the highest HP and the C&L was the overall best pick by raw numbers.

Read all about it yourself here: http://mustang50magazine.com/techart...old_air_intake

Old 10-17-2006, 10:50 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tpafire5

whats your opinion on this?

[IMG]local://upfiles/49605/16BDE59DEA2A4CA8BEE72205E34A607B.jpg[/IMG]
I think its a great idea. Should have come off the showroom floor with it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29830/B290A55D9089485CBA9387C0052B1E71.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-18-2006, 12:03 AM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace

C&L's intake is the most popular, followed closely by the JLT II. Remember, if you purchase an intake you will need a handheld tuner (SCT Recommended). Not just for more power, but because your car simply won't run correctly without it (Or at all).
Well, not EXACTLY! The one from Granatelli Motor sports is provided with a re-calibrated MAF so, there are no CEL's (Check engine lights). You need to follow the directions as they provide them but, no need for a tuner. Looks good when done too! They even have one that's polished.

[IMG]local://upfiles/44056/8EDB0A0A1D9640EC9278BAB81FAC2B83.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-18-2006, 12:06 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I'm sorry, I forgot to include "Some intakes" do not require a tune, IE K&N's... whoever else. I was referring to the intakes that are at the top of the game, requiring the tunes. IE C&L, JLT, etc.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:12 AM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

Just curious... does removing the stock air intake assy and installing an aftermarket cold-air induction system affect the factory warranty? (i only have 800mi on my 2006 GT)
Old 10-18-2006, 02:34 AM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure if you get a K&N or one that does not require a tune you are fine under warranty. But usually tuning the car voids the warranty. If you ever need to bring the car to the dealer, just reflash to stock and take the CAI off real quick.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Refire05GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace

I'm sorry, I forgot to include "Some intakes" do not require a tune, IE K&N's... whoever else. I was referring to the intakes that are at the top of the game, requiring the tunes. IE C&L, JLT, etc.
ROFL, the GMS CAI puts out as much HP as any other CAI with a tune out there, no tune needed because it comes with its own calibrated MAS. K&N, S&B, etc, they just add slightly more air, and thus no tune is needed. The WMS CAI is very nice looking, and I myself was interested in it initially, but after I found out about the cutting that needs to be done to the factory harness, I went with the GMS instead. My stang is my daily driver, so I have to consider the warranty for now.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:17 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Agreed from what I read the GMS does add about the same amount of horsepower. When I went from a tune to a CAI and tune I did get a slightly better throttle response, but the tune helped the most. I don't see how the GMS handles the throttle lag problem that all Mustangs have stock. Getting rid of that annoying lag is one of the best things the tuner does.

Has anyone driven a car with an intake and a tune and a vehicle with just a GMS intake? I'm curious as to how the two compare.

Quick Reply: Anyone see or using this intake kit?