Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Headers/Exhaust

Old 10-16-2006, 10:54 PM
GuitarGuyBMG
2nd Gear Member

Default Best Headers/Exhaust

I started saving even before I got my 06 GT for mods too it. I am in no rush right now, as I dont really take it to the track, but I want to improve it sometime in the future. The car already had 3.73 gears in it when I got it, which I hear are good, but 4.10's seem to be the preferred gear. Anyways, I plan to save up and buy a CAI, tune, headers, and exhaust at the same time. I was wondering which ones would be the best?

I hear that C&L intakes are good along w/ brenspeed tunes. I was looking at JBA shorty headers, but I dont know if I would rather have longtube. This is a car that is driven daily and I just want it to sound powerful and look good, not nesseciarily run in the 12's at the track although next year I plan to add a Saleen SC. Which type of header would be best: Longtube or Shortys? What are the advantages of each? Also, I hear Borla Axle Back exhaust is good, have any of you had experience with that particular exhaust?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Best Headers/Exhaust

C&L Intake with Brenspeed's tunes are top notch, along with his service. I'd say go for it, but any of the popular vendors should do, just depends on you.

Swapping out the stock shorty headers for aftermarket shorty headers isn't going to change much, and you'd be spending all the money for a small gain. Longtubes should pick up a noticable gain in power and sound, but requires alteration of your stock mid-pipe, or an aftermarket mid-pipe that is fitted to go with the LT Headers. Kooks is popular because it comes complete, ready to be bolted in, and high quality. Although pricey.

Axle-backs are hit and miss. It really depends on you again. It's so hard to get the sound you want with these cars, that you might go through 1 or 2 setups or more before you find the sound you want.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:25 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Do you have a manual or auto? if you have an Auto, stick with the 3.73s. If you have a stick, the 4.10s will give you more acceleration but it will be a fairly minor gain. You might want to keep your existing 3.73s in that case.

C&L Intake + Brenspeed Tune = fantastic. enough said.

As for the headers, Shorties are a waste of money in my opinion. You'll be spending a few hundred $$$ (plus 6 hours installation) for only 5 HP tops. Longtubes will cost you more (becasue they require a matching midpipe, which is often included in the kit), but they are worth 15-30 HP for the same installation time. All of the top header brands (Dynatech, Kooks, American Racing...) sell complete ready-to-bolt-on kits with everything you need. There are cheaper brands too. For those be prepared to do some extra homework and buy extra parts like gaskets, clamps, and so on. There are a LOT of posts on headers. do a forum search and you can read all the details

Axle-back exhaust has no effect on HP. It's purely a sound thing. I love the Borlas, as to many other people. But others prefer the Corsas, SLP Loudmouths, etc...there are many brands.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

Now, headers are my next mod, I was going to go with Steeda's Shortys. I fiqured that shortys by them selfs would not be worth it, but with added, multiple Flow Mods, that shortys would be an added benfit, Any imput on this Guys??
Old 10-17-2006, 09:29 PM
lieu910
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quick S

Now, headers are my next mod, I was going to go with Steeda's Shortys. I fiqured that shortys by them selfs would not be worth it, but with added, multiple Flow Mods, that shortys would be an added benfit, Any imput on this Guys??

I would pass on shorty's and go with good LT headers. Shorty's just don't offer any real substantial gain. LT's are good for around 15-20 hp.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

The only problem, is too, for me, I need to keep my Cats, and they need to be close to the same location because of the custom exhaust, so I would want it to bolt up to my current X-Pipe, Now I just found a Mid-lenth header kit from Granatelli, this seems more promising then shorties and is claiming around a 20 HP gain?? would anyone know if this would work or would I still have to change or modify anything to get this to work??