Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California drivers with GTs

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:47 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Default California drivers with GTs

I am going to be getting my GT front end this weekend and i was wondering do they come with the holes to put the licenses plates on? i have seen a couple people on different forums that have made brackets. But dont the cali stangs come with the holes since its a law that you must have your plates on the front? i havent really looked at any GT's here in town.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:58 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: California drivers with GTs

Yep. Mine actually had "dimples" in the front bumper, as a guide for the screws....

Mike
Old 10-18-2006, 12:59 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

nope my v6 one didnt come with holes either. you have to drill them. I dont put one there though because i dont like it. Everytime i get pulled over for it i say it doesnt have holes and they let me go. lol
Old 10-18-2006, 01:04 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Picked up my Screaming Yellow GT on Feb 18, 05 in San Jose California.

Two "dimples" for location of plate. No holes.

Tell your salesman you want to take care of the front plate yourself? I never even thought about it.

My last car has gone better than 27 years without front plates. See many without. I don't think they'll pull you over for the plate, but, they could write it up along with the your infraction. Happend to me a few years ago. I just sent them money, didn't put on the plate.

My wife got pulled over in our PU. No front plate, pulled her over for driving in the early evening without lights. I told her it was cause she looks cute in the PU. They wrote her up for no plate. She insisted the PU would start wearing the front plate. Now it does.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:09 AM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

Mine doesn't have any dimples for the plate mounting holes and I bought the car at Ken Grody in Buena Park. BTW, I know it's the law here in Cali but I've never had a front plate on my 01 Stang. It's my DD and I've logged over 100K miles throughout Cali, Nevada and Arizona and never been targeted or ticketed. Just lucky, I guess. Knock on wood.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:43 AM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

My front end had holes in it for the license plate.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:57 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Horrific_Ending

I am going to be getting my GT front end this weekend and i was wondering do they come with the holes to put the licenses plates on? i have seen a couple people on different forums that have made brackets. But dont the cali stangs come with the holes since its a law that you must have your plates on the front? i havent really looked at any GT's here in town.

Dealers in Cali are required to drill the holes in the front bumper(and rear) as part of "dealer prep" BS surcharge. I bought a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab in '99 and the dealer never bothered to make the holes in the bumper since I practically bought the truck off the carrier, drove it for 6 years without a front plate, never had a problem(I actually put a sheet of mylar on the rear plate to act as a reflectant and would go through camera enforced stop signals without ever getting a ticket-I only went through 2 or 3, but it worked both times)
Old 10-18-2006, 02:16 AM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

Good idea! I saw this stuff in a catalog that you could spray over your plates and it reflected the flash as well.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:53 AM
Bretstang06
1st Gear Member

I bought my GT in a dealer trade and it had just come off the truck with just a few miles. I told the salesman do not attach the front plate that I didn't want them drilling holes in the bumper, just leave the dealer advertising plate and frame in the backseat and he did, went through the fleet dealer. There are guide dimples in the front bumper for the license plate frame but I'll never drill them. I do live in California and have the plate under the front seat. By the way I did get lucky with my dealership because now they put the frames on as part of the prep even if you don't want it.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:59 AM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

No holes here. I dont even think I have "dimples" but Ill double check.

Quick Reply: California drivers with GTs