Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me diagnose this noise...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:09 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default Please help me diagnose this noise...

Okay, so here's the description:

- Hum/moan type sound from rear end. Kind of sounds like a swarm of bees caught in a coffee can.
- Doesn't change pitch or volume with changing speed.
- I hear it mostly over my left shoulder.
- Starts around 25 mph. Constant after that.
- No change on acceleration or deceleration.

Any suggestions? I'm just as interested to know what it CAN'T be. Tranny? Differential? Tire Noise? Wheel Bearing? Exhaust? If anyone can rule anything out I'd be grateful. It's driving me freaking nuts. It's going in on the 30th.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:27 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Please help me diagnose this noise...

ORIGINAL: richmod
- Hum/moan type sound from rear end. Kind of sounds like a swarm of bees caught in a coffee can.
- Doesn't change pitch or volume with changing speed.
Ahh, internet noise diagnosis - is there a prize?

Seriously though...

If it is actually constant with speed and kicks in at 25MPH, I would be tempted to guess groaning fuel pump... I am fresh from 5 days of driving a loaner (wife's car being repaired - not the mustangs), with such a thing, so I am sensitive to this one...

If it increases with turns and or it varies with speed, then clutch pack (TSBs on that) or possibly ventrilaquist power steering pump... Either of those WILL vary with speed though, so my"final answer" (er random out of the air guess) is fuel pump...

If you pull out your rear seat and pop the lid off the access to the fuel pump and it gets a louder that would give you an answer...
Old 10-18-2006, 12:31 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Not to hijack a thread, but I figured while this is up I might as well add a noise for those that are reading, so there doesn't need to be a "Help me identify this noise II" (Sorry Richmond, I have no clue btw.)

A rattle undernearth the car, beneath the shifter/console as a rough estimate. When I accelerate going up a slight hill it sounds like thin metal just vibrating like crazy against something.

While trying to locate the sound I also gradually accelerated and brought the RPMs up to 4k before shifting, and the same sound was achieved.

Initially I thought it was the heat shields, and it may be as the bolts holding them on aren't placed very well. While I was beneath the car, I tightened everything I could, but everything seemed to be snug. I tried pulling, shaking, and pushing on everything that came to mind. The heat shield was the only thing to "rattle" when I tapped it. I did a few small alterations on it "Just bending it slightly. -- Not to the point where you can see it bend, though -- and then tapped it and it was a solid sound, so I figured the problem was fixed. Wrong.

I'm up for suggestions,

Thanks.

PS, Sorry again Richmond, but I figure it's better to keep this all in one area rather then a forum full of 10 posts on the same topic.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:37 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim

If it is actually constant with speed and kicks in at 25MPH, I would be tempted to guess groaning fuel pump... I am fresh from 5 days of driving a loaner (wife's car being repaired - not the mustangs), with such a thing, so I am sensitive to this one...

If it increases with turns and or it varies with speed, then clutch pack (TSBs on that) or possibly ventrilaquist power steering pump... Either of those WILL vary with speed though, so my"final answer" (er random out of the air guess) is fuel pump...

If you pull out your rear seat and pop the lid off the access to the fuel pump and it gets a louder that would give you an answer...
It doesn't change on turn or varying speed, so I don't think it's the clutch pack. I'll have to try the fuel pump thing - never heard of a groaning fuel pump. I'll try anything at this point.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:46 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Initially I thought it was the heat shields, and it may be as the bolts holding them on aren't placed very well. While I was beneath the car, I tightened everything I could, but everything seemed to be snug. I tried pulling, shaking, and pushing on everything that came to mind. The heat shield was the only thing to "rattle" when I tapped it. I did a few small alterations on it "Just bending it slightly. -- Not to the point where you can see it bend, though -- and then tapped it and it was a solid sound, so I figured the problem was fixed. Wrong.
Wasn't there an issue going around about a missing bolt in the inspection plate on the tranny?? Something to that effect.......

Mike

PS. Sorry for the answer hijack as well.....
Old 10-18-2006, 12:48 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace
A rattle undernearth the car, beneath the shifter/console as a rough estimate. When I accelerate going up a slight hill it sounds like thin metal just vibrating like crazy against something.
Can't find it, but there was another TSB describing a "rattle from the center console" as I recall, it had to do with the exhaust hangers near the transmission crossover...
Old 10-18-2006, 12:49 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richmod
never heard of a groaning fuel pump. I'll try anything at this point.
yeah, if you are bored/nervous, just pull out the rear seat and see if it gets a lot louder...