Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any bad turbo experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 02:34 PM
fin1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Any bad turbo experiences?

I'm running with the PowerHouse turbo and highly recommend it.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:15 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

OK you want a bad turbo experience?
We replaced our Dodge Stealth RT/TT (twin turbo AWD AWS) with 100K miles with a 06 GT vert. Now the stealth wasn't stock and hadn't been for a while...It was just over 400 hp
After about 6 months of driving the GT I always felt the Stealth would have taken it on the highway from a 50 or so roll... SO sure enough Finaly I get challenged by a VR4 (sister car to the stealth made for Misubshi) Anyway here is my sad tale of woe. That damn VR4 handed me my A$$ so bad we pulled oer and talked a bit and the guy was pushing 450hp. So I knew I had to do something to the Mustang. Some coin later (I refuse to add it up lol) After going the Saleen/JDM route I'm close to 540 hp and I would like a second chance at that VR4... The 435hp 281 S/C someone said they drove I would like to ask a few questions. How many miles were on the s/c? Mine sure seemed to loosen up after the first or second tank of fuel? And a few on these forums have commented that there seemed to feel like a bigger difference then only 40hp between the 435hp and 475hp Saleen tunes.

Thisblood, I though your 'slippage' was mainly when your engine was cold. Once it warmed up the 'power loss' you were feeling all but went away.

Sherwood, I know you like your KB setup and you are pulling very good numbers with it. I'm sorry I can't diectly compare dyno # as I haven't dyno'd our car. According to JDM I should be right @ 540 and I think we are running around the same boost (10psi max) So Iguess I'm asking how is my Saleen so much more inefficeint then your KB?

Please note NEITHER of those last two questions were asked to cause a fight as I'm really NOT on these boards for that!

Now IMHO It appears that these 4.6 3v engines really respond well to F/I. ANY type of F/I! Like I have posted in the past: to make an educated decision on what F/I to go out and buy one has to know where they want to end up with HP and price and how they want it to act on the street or strip. I trully feel up to 550 or so hp most are pretty close in power per dollar ratio. It's when you want to go more then that is where some F/I set ups start to shine a little more then others. To sum it up if you have any F/I and a good tune or tuner you will be happy. All said and done plan on spending $7000+ to make fairly reliable 520-550 hp. Damn did I just add it up... Crap! lol Good luck and have fun with what ever you choose!
05SDI

Old 10-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

O5SDI - just going by word of mouth. No experience with Saleen. I'm running (factory KB setup) 8psi, with 443whp. That's about 521 + crank HP. Damn good for only 8psi. I really like the quiet, stealthness of the KB. Saleen+loud
Old 10-20-2006, 03:48 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Sherwood if you are (NOT saying you're not either) then YES you are getting very good power out of your BK on 8psi. I just ordered an Saleen boost gauge so I'll have a little bit better idea what boost I'm running. Damn when will the mods stop?
I will ask this will you agree, most any F/I is an improvement and what every GT wanted from the factory! lol
Old 10-21-2006, 12:56 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Virtually all the supercharger and turbo kits out there are great additions on our mustangs!

There are variations that can satisfy almost anyone's tastes.

You might say one is better beause it makes low rpm power, another for it's high rpm power, ease of install, efficiency, durability, etc ...

They all have + and -, what matters is that the one we choose fits our needs.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:02 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

I dont know to much about turbos or superchargers but ive had notice that alot of american v8 cars are supercharged and alot of japense v6 cars are twin turbocharged and the 4's have one big turob..atleast from the factory.

mustang svt cobras- superchargers

svt f150- supercharger

gt-40-supercharger

chev cobalt ss- supercharger <---not a 8
--------------

300zx- twin turbo

3000gt vr-4- twin turbo

supra- twin turbo

evo's- turbo

sti's- turbos
Old 10-21-2006, 03:33 AM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

When I get the money I'm buying a turbo because I love they way the sound and they perform just as well or better than a supercharger.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:57 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johnnyv8

I dont know to much about turbos or superchargers but ive had notice that alot of american v8 cars are supercharged and alot of japense v6 cars are twin turbocharged and the 4's have one big turob..atleast from the factory.

svt f150- supercharger

gt-40-supercharger

--------------

300zx- twin turbo

3000gt vr-4- twin turbo

supra- twin turbo

evo's- turbo

sti's- turbos
This and the rear wheel drive/front wheel drive issue are why most all other cars that arent domestic (and even some domestics) SUCK from a dig.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:47 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

My Saleen slippage issue is not the norm. And regardless, slippage is not a problem exclusive to the Saleens as I know of guys running Vortechs and KBs that have slippage issues. When you deal with a belt driven power adder, its the nature of the beast.

And yes, once my motor and belt have had their little stretching routine.........its all business baby.[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Outside of that, my car is a growling beast at lower rpms..........2500-5000 is my sweet spot. I accelerate at rates in 4th gear at 2000rpms that I used to get NA in 3rd gear at 4000rpms. I find myself taking off from a stop in 2nd gear because the car flat out wants to haul *** if I go at it good from 1st gear (good for the inner demon, bad for the tires). Is the cold starting slippage inconsistancy irritating at times? Yes. Does it lessen the grin on my face when I teleport away from tailgaters? Nope[8D]

As for my turbo comments, I'd only say that I'd seriously consider a turbo if I were starting fresh right now. I have no intentions to sell off my Saleen blower. It runs hard, runs quiet, and has made for an enjoyable fast ride. And it'll be even more fun when I put an 8 rib kit on there and pulley down to 10psi. [sm=burnout.gif]

Cheers to all you guys that find the courage to go get blown.[8D]
Old 10-23-2006, 06:56 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: johnnyv8

svt f150- supercharger

gt-40-supercharger

--------------

300zx- twin turbo

3000gt vr-4- twin turbo

supra- twin turbo

evo's- turbo

sti's- turbos
Most 4 cylinder cars are turbo charged because they tend to require a lot more boost than higher cylinder counterparts to make the good HP. It is fairly simple this is how I see it, if you are gonna keep your internals stock then stick with a supercharger, if you are gonna redo your internals then go supercharger since you can get more lbs faster. For example if you want to pull over 16lbs on a supercharger like a procharger you can't do it on the p1sc or d1sc head unit you will have to use the f1 head that is used mainly for draggracing and can get upt to 30ish lbs and is noisy as hell. Like I said before what I like about the turbos is the adjustability and no load on the belts like a s/c will do. We have a built gt2 that my dad uses @ 9lbs daily driving and when he just wants to smoke something hard he jumps up to 32 lbs with just pushing the high boost button or moving the dial on the boost controller. Would love to see that done on a supercharger .

Att. Andrew