Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting a GT500 in half?????????

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:37 AM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cutting a GT500 in half?????????

So what movie is the GT500 going to be in?
Old 10-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Some upcoming Will Smith movie.
I'm betting it'll be the usual "action" movie with him saying the usual dialog that he's said a million times already, doing stunts that can't be done in real life. I guess it really should be a "Fantasy" film! Only in a fantasy can you somehow steal a GT500 from a showroom, drive it through a window, fall to the street and drive off without a scratch!
I can't go to these kind of movies because I'd keep saying "why did that showroom car have the keys in it"!
Old 10-19-2006, 02:47 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackSpirit

Whats wrong with killing Camaros?
Because they don't make them........
Old 10-19-2006, 02:49 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Why is anyone suprised that they used real GT500's? They spend millions making a movie.....what's $150-$200 worth of GT500's to them? They cut-up and crash high-end exotics just as often. If they had used real 1967-1973 GT500's then that is something to be upset about as they are rare cars. The new GT500 is a current production car.......Ford could make a million of them if they wanted to.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:55 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Hollywood has been destroying highly desirable cars for decades now. I actually think they get off on it. It's always like: "Oooh, aaahhhhh.........look at this sweet ride. Isn't it purty? Wouldn't you LOVE to have one? Isn't it awesome?..........." BANG! It gets plowed over by a dump truck.[:@]
Old 10-19-2006, 03:30 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

I'm "in the business" here in LA (TV commercial producer - if I was doing movies, I'd be driving a GT500!). I work with a few art directors who do films, and -- as sad as this is to say -- to spend that kind of cash on what amounts to a "prop" is nothing. If it was a larger-budget production, such as a Will Smith movie, to lay down $150,000 on 3 GT500s is no big deal (as someone previously said). They are expendibles, so cutting one up, crashing one, etc. is not a big deal to a film company. The do it to a LOT more expensive cars all the time. If a GT500 is part of the story (once again, if budget was not a concern), they would order up 3 matching ones, and do what they will to them - including destroy them.

It's very sad, and I certainly don't agree with it, but it's the way things work. And, look at it this way: At $50,000 a pop, it's cheap in the context of a $80,000,000 movie.

But, look on the bright side: the parts from these cars usually wind up on the Recycler here in LA a few months later for a song!
Old 10-19-2006, 04:25 PM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

What about the years when camaros were made, they still seemed to target mustangs for there demolition movies? I was generalizing it……….
Old 10-19-2006, 04:38 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Well you could look at it this way... making a Fast and the Furious movie where a bunch of ricers "race" around and smash up their cars makes people want to go out and buy little rice boxes, making a movie where people race around and crash up Mustangs will make people want to get Mustangs... Fact is people want the cars that they see in the movies, no matter what happens to them. Car companys have been using movies for publicity for years now. Maybe these GT500s were Fords way of trying to get their voice out, hell Ford could have even donated the cars ya never know. Even if they didnt donate them, theyre not THAT expensive and Ive seen alot more expensive cars smashed up in movies than a production model cobra... not to say that it isnt sad they wasted them, but its not like theyre irreplacable.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:12 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

They are using the Mustangs in more and more programs lately. On the program Standoff, they shot at a GT vert then torched it. My wife and I were watching it and we both said at the same, "That's not right.". Let's all face it, we have the most popular car on the market right now and if Hollywood or whom ever wants to crack up, burn up or what ever to a car, let them. What about all those cars Ford gives out to crash test these cars? I say go ahead and let Ford profit from all the visibility they get. I would rather have an American car company make the profits and keep our hard working people employed than to send the money overseas so we get more rice.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:24 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Let's not even get started on how many Dodge Chargers have been sacrificed over the years: "Bullitt" (Brand new '68 Charger R/T 440 Magnum), "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" ('69 Charger R/T), and of course, "The Dukes of Hazzard" (Over 300 '68 - '70 Dodge Chargers).

Quick Reply: Cutting a GT500 in half?????????