Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much does racing stripes costs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Sean3667
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How Much does racing stripes costs?

ORIGINAL: Redleg

I too have been considering BMS for some black stripes on my Grabber Orange ride. The price I've been quoted is in the 150-250 range for install.

How long have you guys had the BMS stripes on for? I'm interested in how good "3M Automotive Quality Vinyl" is. Are the slides lasting?
I've had BSM Satin Silver stripes on my '06 GT convertible for over six months now, and I'm already seeing some problems. The stripes over the rear decklid and spoiler ... where rainwater tends to sit and not roll off ... are starting to pit and etch rather badly. The pitted spots look white or golden in color, depending upon the angle of the sun. Other areas aren't experiencing the same problems ... yet ... but I'm starting to see hints that it may be coming. The parts of the stripes that are etching and pitting aren't receiving any different care than those that aren't.

I'm not sure what the deal is, but the spots aren't coming off the stripes, and I've taken excellent care of them. I had the stripes professionally installed, and the installer warned me that the BSM stripes were of a "mid grade" 3M automotive vinyl, and not the thinner and more durable high grade 3M automotive vinyl. They estimated that I'd get no more than two years out of the stripes before they needed replacing, even with taking good care of them. The installer does contract work on new Mustangs for a local Ford dealership, and also handles emergency vehicle lettering, so they know their stuff. The install itself was top-notch, and quite a few people have mistaken them for painted stripes because of the quality of work.

At this point, short of replacing the stripes on the rear decklid/trunk, I'm considering having the BSM stuff removed and replaced with painted stripes. It's not worth the $400 ($150 for the stripes, and $250 for the install) to have to replace them on a regular basis.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:44 PM
cbondlv
1st Gear Member

Default RE: How Much does racing stripes costs?

Off topic, but were can i find gun metal strips. Kinda like the boss style.