Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 09:10 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

Default RE: TX STATE FAIR AUTO SHOW TREATMENT UPDATE

I went to the fair on Oct 9th. I went to the auto show to specifically see the Mustang's-I was a potential customer at that time and wanted to see the Shelby. I got the same BS from the factory rep's. I didn't ask to look at the Shelby, but I had several questions I wanted answered from FORD, not the dealer. They basically blew me off.

I contribute it to them being young, 1000's of non-buying jerks trying to sit in the red convertible, and not wanting to be there. I have worked shows in the agriculture industry and it is a LONG day standing around answering question from people that are wasting your time-but I never acted like they did.

I bought my '07 last weekend from North Cental Ford and was treated with the utmost respect.

I will never go to another auto show at the fair!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:15 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ffk_pennywise

I'm with stangmann on this one. Getting treated like crap sucks, its happened to me. But if your gonna take the time to write someone you have to make it sounds professional. Your first sentance shouldnt be YOUR A BUNCH OF SMARTASSES. But hey, if they apologized to you then good job.

I went to a dodge dealer about 5 years ago to look at this Dakota and the sales rep looked at me and asked if I really thought I could afford a 25k truck? I was dressed nice since I was just coming from work and I probably made more than he did. Needless to say I was a bit miffed. Nothing worse than condasending sales people.
Has happened to me in the past as well - I was looking at buying my first new car (a Dodge) when I was 21, so I'm a little green in the world of new car dealers, and essentially get attacked by two smarmy salesmen trying to get me to leave with a car that night. I finally responded, something to the effect of, "I'd like to talk it over with my dad," and the a$$hole condescendingly responds, "we'll, you go and talk it over with daddy..." WTF? To him, I set myself up, but it was not called for.

But, it taught me a lesson: In the time since (and 5 new cars since), I have actually enjoyed butting heads with salesmen. When I've bought, I've made it a point to know more about their cars than they do, and have my homework done ahead of time. I've had a few helpful, nice salesmen, of course, but I have actually called a couple of salesmen on their bullsh!t to their face... and I love to see them take it because they want the sale so bad! It's actually quite fun. I don't go looking for it, but when it comes to me (and, it usually does), I take full advantage.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:20 PM
bluegill
1st Gear Member

Wow, that letter was worded almost verbatim to a response I got 15 years ago, when I was having serious quality control issues with my T-Bird...

As others have mentioned, your letter could have been a bit more tactfull.

"If I were a salesperson I wouldn't let anyone who wasn't wearing a suit to touch a car that could get a $37,000- 50,000 dealer markup!"

Nobody should ever, ever have to wear a suit to be allowed to look at a vehicle or be treated with some respect at a dealership. I don't care how much the vehicle costs. A few years ago when I was working for my brother we pulled into a Ford dealership to look at a $35,000 F-350 with the 3 yard dump, he was planning on buying one when he found the right drivetrain combo. We pulled in with a 1 year old F-550 with a $20,000 upfit with the company name on the doors. We were wearing jeans matching T-shirts with his company name on them, we are looking at another truck that was even the same color as the one we pulled up in. Ponder that for a minute. Not a single salesperson would acknowledge our existence, I guess we needed to be wearing suits.... Another salesperson came back from his lunch, saw us and opportunity and came straight from his car to us out in the lot. We drove that truck home that evening, and he was a happy saleperson. I'm in sales now, and I have a ZERO tolerance for a** hole salespeople who pull that BS.

There are a lot of "suits" out there who manage a Burger King/McDonalds/Taco Bell/Wendy's making $28,000, and a lot of jeans and T-shirt skilled tradesman making $62,000+. Who do you think is a more qualified buyer..?

Mike
Old 10-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ya some sales people don't know even a 1/4 of what they should

as for auto shows at the 05 houston auto show I actualy got to sit in the "FORD GT" yes the $150,000 msrp GT
the ford rep that year was really cool I even have a pic of me in it

and when he offered to let me sit in it I was wearing a stupid red work shirt and black slacks but as I didn't have a camera with me I didn't sit in it that day
I worked to the place that it is held so I came back the following friday (I was working weekends not fridays but got in free) and brought a camera and sat in the "FORD GT"
Old 10-21-2006, 12:57 AM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Old 10-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

I hope you have better experiences with them in the future
and if you can take some pics of the test drive sounds like it might be fun

and BTW I agree with you about grabber orange (IMO gray is the best) but to each his(her) own
Old 10-22-2006, 08:08 PM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on getting the computer generated response...lmao

Old 10-22-2006, 08:28 PM
stargazer468
1st Gear Member

I understand where you are coming from. No one likes to be talked down to especially when you know more about the car than the rep does. However, by coming to this forums and posting how you did, you are opening yourself up to people who are allowed to respond how they see fit. Honestly, I wouldn't have believed that you would have gotten a letter either, computer generated or not. However, I believe that you could have been more tactful in coming back and saying you did get a letter. The people on this forum don't like being called ******** anymore than you liked being talked down to by the sales rep. I'm only 17 and I've already learned that by posting here, I am at the mercy of other people's opinions. You can't post something of this nature and expect everyone to agree with you. A response of simply posting the letter sent to you and maybe a few words of "They actually did wend me a letter" will get you far more respect and possibly apologies, if that was what you were seaching for.

Brian
Old 10-22-2006, 09:11 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I have playfully broken the ***** of factory reps at shows. I made it a point to express to pontiac that coming from an original GTO owner, the new one looked like a jelly bean.

At shows, these guys normally don't want to open up the car for one guy as then they have to be a slave and do it for every 16yo kid that walks up to them. Then you have to make sure the car remains unharmed, etc. And have to keep it clean and fingerprint free.

You are right, BUT, sorry to say, you got one of probably 10 form letters that ford has in their arsenal. I also would have worded the letter a bit differently, but that is me, everyone has their own writing style, what you do is your buisiness. As far as taining the rep of fellow mustang owners, I am not quite buying into that one. You don't think porsche or ferrari get similar letters?