Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Granatelli single strut tower brace install info

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 05:51 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default Granatelli single strut tower brace install info

Hi guys. At the request of a few people, here are my thoughts regarding the granatelli single strut bar I ordered and installed.

-Bar is black powder coated and pretty nice
-Doesen't weight too much
-I installed it on my 06 gt that has the factory 07 plenum cover. To make it clear properly, You have to follow the grantanelli instructions for lowering the cover at the back. Basically, you remove the two clips that hold the cover down now, remove the two front cover nuts and take the cover off. Then remove the two studs where the cover mounts in the rear. Replace the cover, and install the studs through the cover. Then replace the clips. It lowers the cover about 3/8 of an inch or so in the back. I have plenty of room to the bar IMO. I have to throw a couple hard shifts and make sure it doesent contact it.

After that, just remove the 2 inside strut bearing nuts on each side, drop on the bar, check the clearance to the cover, and put on the nuts and tighten. I ended up pushing the bar toward the back of the car so it would lay flatter on the towers. They sort of conform when you tighten it.

It obviously touches my hood pad, but nothing visible. Nothing like the creasing or denting like I have seen the strange development bar that clears the cover do.

So overall, it was a good 65 bucks spent with shipping. It is a $50 + shipping special for the mustang source members.

Be sure they send you the correct bar though. At first they sent me the double stainless bar instead. It was boxed wrong. It does not clear the cover, and doesent look as factory IMO.

I will get some pics of this one up when I get a moment.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Granatelli single strut tower brace install info

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see the pics.
Can you take one which shows the amount of clearance between the brace and the plenum cover? And does anyone know if there's any difference in the height if you have a plenum cover from Midwest?

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/8A1D7A75FEA2432AA7FF6266EF1EFEAC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-22-2006, 03:08 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Will do. There is probably about a finger tip thickness of clearance to the top of the cover.

I will tell you one thing. It made a difference IMO. Not a wow difference, but a noticible one to me.

To me, I noticed a increased firmness in the front end especially on rough pavement. The car is tracking better at the limit when going over ripples in the road.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:23 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

My last ride had already been heavily modified with all the underpinnings. Very "beefy". Very stiff.

I added the underhood brace. No doubt in my mind at all that it made a difference, very noticable.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:01 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Diggin up an old post, hows the bar doing now? any lines on the hood padding?