Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Painted louvers are on-*pics*

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 11:10 PM
DuFFMaNN
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New Painted louvers are on-*pics*

Looks very nice. Enjoy them
Old 10-23-2006, 12:06 AM
viza
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Oh, and backing out of my parking space was not as bad as I'd feared, as I can see through these louvers better than most of the others.

LOL I have trouble seeing with no louvres

My issue is it's really hard to judge how far the car behind me is from my bumper.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:07 AM
06SilverStang
1st Gear Member

I've had mine a few months now and with the fall season in full swing here in NY, I am getting some leaves & twigs inside. I rinse & clean with water & soap. Cleaning the these windows themselves is almost impossible. I just make sure I get all the leaves out and stuff my chamois in between the holes to get it as dry as possible.

Glenn
Old 10-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluegill

Orion, looks good. I really like those, especially the fact that one can see through them. It looks like a sponge based bottle brush could fit in there to clean the windows, or are the openings not as big as they look in the pics? In Michigan during the winter you can't go an hour before your windows are opaque from the wet salt and dirt misting up off the road. I'm seriously thinking about losing my scoops and going with louvers for the visibilty factor, but not if it is going to be a headache keeping the glass clean. 06Silver, you have had yours awhile, does that much water and grime even get in there in the first place?

Mike
I really like the scoop you have! But yes, I was worried about the visibility factor, seeing how this is my daily driver and I have to back out of parking spaces at home and work and the folks in both places drive past way too fast!
As far as a sponge bottle brush, that might work and be needed if you get your car dirty after it rains and all the dirt sticks in there. I would want to make sure the handle is thin but definitely now the wire type. I guess it might look like a spatula with a sponge on the end and a soft rubber handle.
Another tool for the detailing bucket!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:01 PM
oakman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

As stated in other threads the paint isn't a perfect match to my 1 1/2 year old paint, but close enough. Also the inside wasn't really professionally prepped, with lots of overspray and some white stuff. I cleaned them up a little, then held them on to my car's window and they looked ok. Didn't feel a need to paint the insides but they really should be doing that.
I am interested in getting these but you stated that the inside is not painted? What does that look like from the interior of the car?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:43 PM
06SilverStang
1st Gear Member

My reverse sides were mostly black (unpainted ABS plastic) with specks of white primer and silver over spray and some white crud that came off with sand paper. I painted mine flat black before I installed. I don't have pictures because I was in such a hurry to install, I painted them as soon as I received them. The sales rep @ www.wheelskin.com suggested cleaning off the over spray with Acetone. Don't do this it will melt the ABS plastic.

Glenn
Old 10-24-2006, 10:41 PM
Rsmin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06SilverStang

My reverse sides were mostly black (unpainted ABS plastic) with specks of white primer and silver over spray and some white crud that came off with sand paper. I painted mine flat black before I installed. I don't have pictures because I was in such a hurry to install, I painted them as soon as I received them. The sales rep @ www.wheelskin.com suggested cleaning off the over spray with Acetone. Don't do this it will melt the ABS plastic.

Glenn

Glenn,

Getting mine this week. How did you keep the "flat black" on the back side from running through to the "painted side" when you painted them?? Also, what type of flat black paint did you use?

Thanks

Rusty
Old 10-25-2006, 08:34 AM
06SilverStang
1st Gear Member

I masked each hole with blue painters tape on the finished side of the louvers then I covered with neswpaper. I trimmed the tape to hold the newspaper down on the unfinished side with gentle pressure with a razor blade. Their is a small lip there were you can attach the tape and trim. About 1/16". You will never see this from the inside so don't worry about this not being painted. I used standard flat black paint from an Auto store, applied 2 coats with a light sanding between coats. I hope this helps. PM me any other questions and I'll try my best to help.

Good luck. With my auto skills, If I can do this anybody can. LOL

Glenn
Old 10-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

can't really see anything. I don't expect there to ever be anyone in the back seat, since anyone who would notice would be older than 3 years old and won't fit back there!

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/024E8A102E424FEEBBE292D7B2131406.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/5A636CCCCE6B48D4BB4156DBEEA8A65D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-25-2006, 06:52 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Very sweet man like the look.
Heres mine

Quick Reply: New Painted louvers are on-*pics*