Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!!!MUSTANG MONTHLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default RE: !!!MUSTANG MONTHLY!!!

ORIGINAL: mustangman2424

If anyone here has the new issue of Mustang Monthly could you please tell me if you see the mustang in my sig or the one in my avatar in the magazine? Blackie just e-mailed me awhile ago telling me he saw it in the magazine, but he didn't specify which magazine, and I have no clue about this. I talked to a guy at Mustang Monthly a few months ago about putting that picture in the magazine but we lost contact and I haven't heard from him since, and now someone is telling me my mustang' is in a magazine lol. HELP PLEASE!!!!!

***If you saw my mustang in a previous issue please tell me also!!!!
I can't tell if you are saying it was used with or without permission! Is that your name under the photo? If not, get your lawyer!
If it was used w/ permission... congratulations!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 05:54 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

My first thought is "did they get your permission to use that photo?" If they do not have your permission, in writing, then they have violated copyright law. It would really surprise me if they did this since, as a magazine, they should be familiar with how the law works. Maybe you already gave them permission verbally, but they should have a "photographer's release" from you if you took the picture and own the rights to it.

If they printed this without permission, then you need to contact their editorial department and let them know that you own the picture and that you did not (if that is the case) give them permission to use the photo. You are flattered they used it, but you did not give them permission, and you did not sign a "photographer's release" allowing them to use it. You would be glad to do so, but you have to be paid for the use of the photo.

Now, I may sound like I'm being a d!ck over this, but you need to look at it this way HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING: Your photo appeared in their magazine. You got credit for it, but you did not give your permission. And, you certainly did not get paid for it. Now, six months from now, when "XYZ Parts Catalog" comes along, and needs a photo of a Mustang for their catalog, and ABC Magazine sells your photo (without your permission, without paying you) for $500 per year of use, who gets the $500? It's not going to be you. Plus, they sell ad space based on their magazine, and how it appears, etc. XYZ Parts Catalog thumbs thru the magazine, really likes the article with the pic of the red Mustang GT in the woods (among other things), and buys ad space that nets ABC Magazine several thousand bucks in ad revenue. Will you see any of that? Nope.

That's why it's very important for them to get permission from you to use your photo -- and pay you for the usage. It all comes down to copyright. Now, if you submitted the photo and gave them permission already, that's different.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Wow, It is yours, lol. I had mine right on my desk and had to look for myself.
Sweet!! Im jealous.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:58 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

I still haven't seen the picture and the one you posted here isn't working for me, it may just be because I am at school right now. I am going insane right now. I will get back to you guys soon.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

I still haven't seen the picture and the one you posted here isn't working for me, it may just be because I am at school right now. I am going insane right now. I will get back to you guys soon.
Can you see this one?

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5649/picturegx1.jpg
Old 10-23-2006, 08:13 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

My first thought is "did they get your permission to use that photo?" If they do not have your permission, in writing, then they have violated copyright law. It would really surprise me if they did this since, as a magazine, they should be familiar with how the law works. Maybe you already gave them permission verbally, but they should have a "photographer's release" from you if you took the picture and own the rights to it.

If they printed this without permission, then you need to contact their editorial department and let them know that you own the picture and that you did not (if that is the case) give them permission to use the photo. You are flattered they used it, but you did not give them permission, and you did not sign a "photographer's release" allowing them to use it. You would be glad to do so, but you have to be paid for the use of the photo.

Now, I may sound like I'm being a d!ck over this, but you need to look at it this way HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING: Your photo appeared in their magazine. You got credit for it, but you did not give your permission. And, you certainly did not get paid for it. Now, six months from now, when "XYZ Parts Catalog" comes along, and needs a photo of a Mustang for their catalog, and ABC Magazine sells your photo (without your permission, without paying you) for $500 per year of use, who gets the $500? It's not going to be you. Plus, they sell ad space based on their magazine, and how it appears, etc. XYZ Parts Catalog thumbs thru the magazine, really likes the article with the pic of the red Mustang GT in the woods (among other things), and buys ad space that nets ABC Magazine several thousand bucks in ad revenue. Will you see any of that? Nope.

That's why it's very important for them to get permission from you to use your photo -- and pay you for the usage. It all comes down to copyright. Now, if you submitted the photo and gave them permission already, that's different.
Well a couple of months ago I made a thread about how I had sent my picture to a bunch of magazines, and the only magazine who showed interest was Mustang Monthly but I lost contact with a guy there and I have not heard about this subject since, until yesterday when Blackie e-mail me telling me that he saw my photo in the magazine and I had no idea about this. The guy at Mustang Monthly did not even inform me that they were going to print my picture, and yes I did ask for my picture to be printed, but I didn't expressly say "I give you permission to print this". I do care about the money, but I care more about the fact that they didn't even send me a copy of the magazine, and I can't even find a copy of it in Barnes & Noble, Border's, or anywhere else that I went yesterday. I am honored to have my picture printed, but for crying out loud I should have been the first one to know that it was getting printed, and I still haven't seen it!!!!!!AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I'M GOING CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I hate firewalls at work. What I do is go to www.browseatschool.net scroll down a bit, then put the URL in address bar. Its a way to cheat school and work firewalls
Old 10-23-2006, 08:30 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Mustangman,

Sorry about your firewall at work! But, trust us... it is your pic.

As for what to do about it, if you really want to go this route, do what I mentioned and call their editorial department. They will undoubtedly tell you that you submitted the picture knowing that they would print it, or that once you submitted the picture, it became their property, etc. Call "bullsh!t" on them - you own that picture of your car. I assume when you submitted it, there was nothing that said "by submitting your picture, you give permission to reprint the picture..." or something like that. If there were something like that, then they are in the clear. True, you did want them to print your pic, correct? But the key is, the TERMS OF USE of your pic were not defined, and you did not expressly give them permission, correct?

They will say that they credited you, which is true, but regardless of what they say, it is still your picture. It is an asset of yours. You did not give them express permission to use it. They are in violation of copyright law. Period. End of story.

If the editoral department is of no help, then ask to speak with their legal department.

This all depends on how far you want to take this. May be more trouble than its worth, but it's up to you.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:41 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

[sm=vader1.gif] It's lawyer time.....
Old 10-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I would at least want a couple of complimentary copies!!

Quick Reply: !!!MUSTANG MONTHLY!!!