Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished my linelocks finally........

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 08:03 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Finished my linelocks finally........

I think the hardest part was figureing out where to place everything. I knew I wanted the solenoids mounted in the engine compartment. I originally decided to mount them both on the drivers side strut tower and run the stock lines from the abs to the solenoids and then bend new lines from the solenoids back to the abs, but it looked like there were two different sized fittings on the 4 lines coming out of the abs so that canceled that idea. Instead I mounted one on each strut tower and bend the stock line going to the passenger side brake back under the frame up to the solenoid, then ran a new line from the solenoid back to the brake. I was a little worried the stock line wouldn't reach so I mounted the solenoid as far down on the strut tower as possible. That made tightening the lines a little more difficult since the fuse box is right there. On the drivers side I disconnected the smaller fitting for the drivers side front brake from the abs module and bent the line over to the solenoid then bent a new line from the solenoid back to the abs, very easy, but bending the stock line isn't very pretty. Anyway i did the passenger side first and tested it on the road for a few days before going after the drivers side. I just wanted to make sure nothing would leak. Tightening the fittings securely is key to no leaks!

Anyway as they say[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

so here they are

first the new fitting/line going to the abs module, notice the two center fittings look smaller than the outer fittings, still not sure why this is. I put smiley faces on the fittings with larger ports.

futher away shot of the abs

Drivers side solenoid, notice my funky looking bends in the stock line, i didn't want to try and bend it too much since it was allready bent once.

passenger side solenoid.

cheap rocker switch from discount auto
Old 10-22-2006, 08:58 PM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Finished my linelocks finally........

Looks good, but why did you need two? Is that the kit made for the 05+? On my old 2004 some people said you need 2. But the SLP kit was just 1 solenoid and it worked just fine. I am thinkin of getting the 05+ SLP kit for my 06. Is 2 solenoids required?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well the single solenoid kit if it mounts between the abs and brakes must have more than two ports and if so you'd loose individual abs control to each front wheel, when the solenoid is de-energized the front brakes will share fluid. If it mounts between the master cylinder and abs i've heard it will cause an error because the abs can see the brakes are locked, but i'm not sure. I ordered two solenoids from summit racing, no kit. I ordered there installation kit, but it was basically worthless so I ended up using the longest line from the summit installation kit for the drivers side and buying a longer line from napa for the passenger side. I also used two adapters from the summit kit (it came with plenty that were useless) and had to buy two more of the same adapters from napa (which were very, very cheap by the way). The brake line from napa was $5 and came with flared ends and fittings. I might redo it with some black painted line later.

ORIGINAL: redfireshaker06

Looks good, but why did you need two? Is that the kit made for the 05+? On my old 2004 some people said you need 2. But the SLP kit was just 1 solenoid and it worked just fine. I am thinkin of getting the 05+ SLP kit for my 06. Is 2 solenoids required?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:24 PM
redfiregt2006
1st Gear Member

This thread is worthless without videos LOL!!
Old 10-22-2006, 09:57 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Sorry, my digital cameras don't do videos. I've been meaning to get a cheap one that does though.

ORIGINAL: redfiregt2006

This thread is worthless without videos LOL!!
Old 10-22-2006, 11:34 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

Excellent documentation. This is great info for anyone wanting to install a linelock. Now I have to say this, teflon tape is not a good idea for brake line fittings. It is not needed and can get into the brake system. I have seen brake system problems where very small pieces of teflon tape were flushed out of the system. If it were me I would redo it immediately without the teflon tape. I am just trying to help so please don't take this as offensive.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:00 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

+1

With flared fittings the flare seals the connection and not the threads. Brake lines also use DOUBLE flair. Never use compression fittings.

moosestang, is the rocker an arming switch? If so where is your activation switch?

ORIGINAL: 07GT

Excellent documentation. This is great info for anyone wanting to install a linelock. Now I have to say this, teflon tape is not a good idea for brake line fittings. It is not needed and can get into the brake system. I have seen brake system problems where very small pieces of teflon tape were flushed out of the system. If it were me I would redo it immediately without the teflon tape. I am just trying to help so please don't take this as offensive.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

sweeeettt
Old 10-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

By the way, the switch installation looks nice and the Hurst looks WAY COOL!
Old 10-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Moosestang, how are the linelocks working?

Are you using them at the track or for other entertainment?

Quick Reply: Finished my linelocks finally........