Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible Car Crash!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Horrible Car Crash!!!!!

ORIGINAL: Meph
As for drinking at 21, or 18, or as mentioned 40. It should be 18. 18 is legal aduthood, 18 is legal serve country and die age... so 18 should be the bar that's set. However due to Federal abuse of power they limit the state's rights forcefully. Big government at work, yet Americans just keep bending over and taking more of it from the Gov't year after year, month after month.
I really hate that analogy, I was a Marine ('66-'70) back when the drinking age was 21 before they lowered it to 18. Those of us who were serving in the military could legally drink on any military installation at 18 years of age. I don't know if the rules are the same but I see no reason for then to have been changed. So those that actually do the fighting can drink at 18 and those that spout this analogy need to wait until 21 or join the military. After my military tour, I spent 17 years as a volunteer firefighter where my run area included several major highways and 10 miles of I-95. I saw more death, destruction, pain, and suffering as a firefighter than I did as a Marine during 13 months in Vietnam.

Think about it, in ten years of fighting in Vietnam we lost over 55000 Americans, In one year on our national highways we loose the same.

We reciently had an incident (I also don't like the phrase traffic accident) in which two teenage girls (17 and 16) went to a party where the adults were out of town and alcohol was served. While returning home they failed to negotiate a slow sweeping curve on a 4 lane highway where the speed limit had just dropped from 55 to 45. The SUV they were in dropped two wheels off the right, was over corrected and flipped 3.5 times while crossing the opposite lanes to end up upside down in a 4' of water at a small canal that passed under the highway. So underage drinking, speeding, a vehicle with a high center of gravity, and a driver who only had an operators license for about 6 months all contributed to this unfortunate incident. The end result was two dead.

P.S. Police estimated that the vehicle was traveling in excess of 75MPH.

Calling them as I see them
BB
Old 10-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Centurion96

As for drinking at 21, or 18, or as mentioned 40. It should be 18. 18 is legal aduthood, 18 is legal serve country and die age... so 18 should be the bar that's set. However due to Federal abuse of power they limit the state's rights forcefully. Big government at work, yet Americans just keep bending over and taking more of it from the Gov't year after year, month after month.
I really hate that analogy, I was a Marine ('66-'70) back when the drinking age was 21 before they lowered it to 18. Those of us who were serving in the military could legally drink on any military installation at 18 years of age. I don't know if the rules are the same but I see no reason for then to have been changed. So those that actually do the fighting can drink at 18 and those that spout this analogy need to wait until 21 or join the military. After my military tour, I spent 17 years as a volunteer firefighter where my run area included several major highways and 10 miles of I-95. I saw more death, destruction, pain, and suffering as a firefighter than I did as a Marine during 13 months in Vietnam.

Think about it, in ten years of fighting in Vietnam we lost over 55000 Americans, In one year on our national highways we loose the same.

We reciently had an incident (I also don't like the phrase traffic accident) in which two teenage girls (17 and 16) went to a party where the adults were out of town and alcohol was served. While returning home they failed to negotiate a slow sweeping curve on a 4 lane highway where the speed limit had just dropped from 55 to 45. The SUV they were in dropped two wheels off the right, was over corrected and flipped 3.5 times while crossing the opposite lanes to end up upside down in a 4' of water at a small canal that passed under the highway. So underage drinking, speeding, a vehicle with a high center of gravity, and a driver who only had an operators license for about 6 months all contributed to this unfortunate incident. The end result was two dead.

BB

I'll drink to that!!! [sm=alcoholic.gif][sm=partyparty.gif] (actually, I don't drink) ((anymore))

Old 10-26-2006, 06:39 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Centurion96

BB

Having a father who served (3) tours in Vietnam I can respect the things you have seen!! But to come out of Nam and volunteer in another line of work that involved human suffering, Im suprised you dont have major emotional scars!!!! I commend you, I couldnt do what you have done!! [sm=smiley32.gif]
Old 10-26-2006, 06:52 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

From what I understand, the reason the drinking age is 21 is more for health reasons than lack of responsibility. It was explained to me that an 18 year olds body is still growing and since it is not fully matured yet, it is not as able as an adults body to handle the effects of alcohol. Alcohol is hard on anyones body but apparently it is much harder on a teens body. Just like booze would be bad for an 8 year old its just as hard on an 18 year old. Adults are more hardy and able to tolerate the abuse.........to a point. I'm sure responsibility plays a big role in the drinking age but I think the above explanation is pretty reasonable as well. As to why a teen can join the service and fight is pretty easy. Their mind hasn't become set in its ways yet and is easily bendable to the military's way of thinking.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StowesStang
Having a father who served (3) tours in Vietnam I can respect the things you have seen!! But to come out of Nam and volunteer in another line of work that involved human suffering, Im suprised you dont have major emotional scars!!!! I commend you, I couldnt do what you have done!! [sm=smiley32.gif]
A lot of emotional wounds heal with time. I was an adrenalin junkie who liked to "dance with the devil" (aka fight fires), the rescue side came with the territory.

ffk_pennywise - I don't agree with any part of your argument. Yes the brain is developing, in fact it doesn't stop developing until around 24 or 25 physically. Emotionally I'm not sure when it matures but the big "3" "0" is usually a big wake up call for most where they come face to face with their mortality. Alcohol doesn't go around asking your brain cells how old they are, it just kills them. As far as the military is concerned I was over 21 with college behind me when I enlisted. I had a CPA with a business degree and a FBI agent with a pre-law degree in my outfit (also enlisted). We were the sons of the "Greatest Generation", the veterans of WWII. It was partriotism and what we perceived was the right thing to do that made us enlist, not the manipulation of the military. The error in your logic is that the military cannot bend your mind, they cannot do anything to you except ask you to enlist or as many found in the '60s draft your behind. If you think that learning how to depend on your fellow man and take the responsibility to look out for others is mind bending then bend me.

Peace
BB
Old 10-27-2006, 12:49 AM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

[sm=americanasmiley.gif] Im so proud of my "VET"!!!
Old 10-27-2006, 03:03 AM
jpeng16990
1st Gear Member

Immaturity + irresponsibility + ignorance = pain and suffering. Its so up to all of us motor heads to set good examples for the young adults who see us and our nice rides. At one point in our life time an adult or some event in our youth inspired us to have these cars and have responsible fun with them!!!
My heart goes out to the families and the surviving kid. I hate to see stuff like that but know its a reality. I totally agree Stowe about us setting an example, especially bc ppl are always drawn to a good looking car. Just a sad thing... those pictures. [sm=smiley6.gif]
Old 10-27-2006, 12:02 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jpeng16990

Immaturity + irresponsibility + ignorance = pain and suffering. Its so up to all of us motor heads to set good examples for the young adults who see us and our nice rides. At one point in our life time an adult or some event in our youth inspired us to have these cars and have responsible fun with them!!!
My heart goes out to the families and the surviving kid. I hate to see stuff like that but know its a reality. I totally agree Stowe about us setting an example, especially bc ppl are always drawn to a good looking car. Just a sad thing... those pictures. [sm=smiley6.gif]

Let me just add something to your statement......having grown up with a motor head father and then married one....both of them are my role models......they both have taught me the respect of raw HP and muscle....my dad had all types of nice custom cars and mean drag strip cars so it was inevitable that I would appreciate....that is why I say "someone or some event in our life inspired us" and we have to pass down the respect and knowledge of those before us! Im happy to say that is what Im doing with my teen boys! [sm=icon_rock.gif]