Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-Techs, How accurate are they?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 05:22 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: G-Techs, How accurate are they?

Thanks JD I put it on my watch list while I look up its capabilties.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:38 AM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Heres the link to the Car and Driver story. They tested 4 or 5 of these. Here
Old 10-28-2006, 11:01 AM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: POWERS

I’m asking this question after seeing mention of someone using theirs in the 0-60, 1/4 mile time’s thread. I didn’t want to hijack the thread asking about it so here is a new one.

Does anyone have any experience or have any idea if these things actually work? If so how accurate are they? On their website it says they are pretty accurate but are they for real?

For those that don’t know what I’m talking about here’s a link. G-Tech

If this is close to accurate Id love to get one to see if my mod’s have really done anything, and to see if anything further I do really adds an hp or not.
I have one and it is very accurate to the track. You have to level it before take off or it will affect the accuracy. The road has to be fairly flat. As far as entering weight, you don't need that for quarter mile times, that's just for estimating horsepower.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:35 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sw07gt
sw07gt thanks for the link, good article. I always put these things in the same catagory as x-ray vision eyeglasses but obviously I was wrong. I will be shopping.

The one on eBay may work, may not. Buyer beware... sold as is.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:17 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sw07gt

Thanks for that link. I was skeptical before and now I would seriously consider getting the G-Tech Pro RR for $300......seems like the best value.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:15 PM
BrookShadow_RC
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Johnnie D

you can get older g-tech units that look like radar detectors on ebay for like $35...havent tried one out but heck they are cheap enough, might give one a go
That is the kind that I have. I read way back when I got it in '99, that they were pretty accurate, within plus or minus 5 mph and under a second on times. The one thing folks seem to forget is their own weight along with the weight of the car.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:06 AM
zorane

I'm surprised more folks on here don't have one of these. I got a G-Tech Pro RR, and I haven't even made any mods to my car! I just like gadgets. :')

I haven't had much chance to use it yet. But out of a few tries, the best I could do was 0-60 in 6 seconds, and 216 RWHP. [:'(] This is with an '05 GT stick. I might have been on a slight incline. I estimated my cars weight as 3710 lbs, with me in it, and a Shaker 1000.

I'd be interested in seeing what results others get on a G-Tech, with a stock GT 'Stang.

It WILL read less HP than what a dyno says, due to wind resistance and other factors.

But it's clock is accurate, and 6 seconds for 0-60.... that's a whole second too slow. Is it very difficult to make our cars do 0-60 in 5 seconds? (Manual trans)
Old 12-29-2006, 10:48 PM
rjg426
1st Gear Member

I tried my old G-Tech Pro again, for 0-60 times. The stock numbers back during last spring/early summer were about 5.5 sec. This is for an 06 GT automatic. Today's times with a C&L intake, SCT xcal 93 octane tune, Corsa X-pipe and mufflers, and the cooler weather here in the northeast (38 degrees)were averaging 4.9! Weather conditions (hot humid vs. cold dense air) have a big effect. Of course, launch technique has a big effect too (need limited or no wheelspin). I go both directions on the same strip of roadway which is fairly level, so that the average would be more accurate. I would love to get some 1/4 mile times, but I can't afford a speeding ticket going over 100 in a 55! Unforntunately, there are no tracks near me.

My G-Tech is one of the older ones I've had for a few years that I got from ebay for about $40. It seems to be very accurate from what others have said, who have taken one to the track. The main things are to make sure the unit is level (the display will show it), the roadway is fairly level, winds are pretty calm, etc.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:26 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

I have one of the G-Tech Pro Competitions (Paid $200 for it at the LA Auto Show about 5 years back) and it's really accurate. I used it at Firebird Raceway on a drag strip with my old Saturn, and it was accurate to 2/10ths of a second for the overall time.

I did notice that I didn't get the same times with my 60' times (off by almost 2 sec), and when I talked with Tesla Electronics (the people who make the G-Tech), they said it was due to the bracket that holds the G-Tech in place shifting slightly. I tightened it down and made some more runs on an 1/8th mi strip and saw the times were off by only 3/10ths of a second for 60' times, 0-60, etc.

They also said that the rollout times affect your 0-60mph times, because if you start it with the 12" rollout, as you'd see at a strip, the time will be less than if you were to start it with no rollout (as much as 5 mph can be gained in that 12", depending on the driver and the car).

And as for those old G-Tech meters that look like a radar detector...Well, they're very limited in what they can tell you compared to the newer ones that have the LCD screens.

They're awesome units, and have been invaluable to me for tuning for my Vette, E-Type, and Saturn. It's given me an idea of not only what the power differences are when I've changed carb settings or intakes, but also when I've made suspension changes, due to the lateral G's readings. Great tool.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:59 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

i only got 1 chance to use my G-tech and it was on a damp road , with a slight incline.

best i got was 14.06 sec at 100.9 mph.

rwhp said 242, which seems kinda low...but then again, it wasnt under ideal conditions

Quick Reply: G-Techs, How accurate are they?