Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my rear spoiler delete

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 08:52 PM
dewittalday

Default my rear spoiler delete

This is my story about how I "deleted" my spoiler on my 2005 Mustang GT.

Total time spent: ~ 1.5 hours

Background info:
[ul][*]Ford decided that 4 nuts/bolts weren't enough to hold the spoiler down, so they included a thick foam double-adhesive that is pretty strong.[/ul]

Tools I used for removal:[ul][*] 10mm socket/wrench[*] 3M Adhesive Remover (~$5 at Wal-Mart, safe for automotive paints/clearcoats)[*] plastic spreader, the kind you use for spreading Bondo or other body-filler (~$3 for a 3 pack at Pep-Boys)
[/ul]

Steps for removal:
[ul][*] Remove the 10mm nuts.[*] Remove the threaded bolts from the spoiler (to avoid scratching your trunk). They are basically hand tight, so should come out easy.[*] Pry the spoiler off. Just use brute strength (not a pry bar!). I've read about some people using a scalpel blade to carefully cut the foam adhesive as they pry it up, but the spoiler will come off if you keep increasing pressure slightly. I just kept pulling on it until it "popped" off. My trunk was not damaged by doing this.[*] Now comes the tedious part. You will be left with a thick foam adhesive layer on the trunk (see images). This stuff does not just peel off. I tried Goo-Gone, WD-40, Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA), then went with 3M Adhesive Remover. Do not use Acetone (i.e. nail-polish remover) as this will likely eat through your clearcoat and paint.
[ul][*] Spray the 3M Adhesive Remover over the foam adhesive on both sides.[*] Let it soak for a minute or so.[*] Use one of the plastic spreaders to scrape the foam adhesive off (this will not scratch your clearcoat).[*] Repeat these steps until all foam adhesive is removed. Expect this part to take about 45 minutes. It would have been easier if the foam adhesive wasn't so thick.
[/ul][*] One thing you might notice is that there are marks left on the trunk where the spoiler sat. I suggest using some rubbing compound to get these out. On my car, the marks are only noticeable if you get close enough to see it. I will eventually try to buff these out in the future.
[/ul]

Items I used for plugging the holes:
[ul][*] 2-part all-purpose epoxy, for bonding rubber to metal (~$4 at Pep-Boys)[*] 2mm thick rubber/foam sheet (~$0.30 at Wal-Mart for 8" x 12")[*] scissors (for cutting the foam sheet into small circles)[*] primer, touch-up paint, clear coat (~$23, http://www.automotivetouchup.com )
[/ul]

Background info:
[ul][*] You will need to plug the holes unless you don't care about your trunk getting wet when it rains.[*] I've seen "plug kits" on other Mustangs that look like plastic caps that stick above the surface, but didn't like them.
[/ul]

Steps for plugging holes:
[ul][*] Cut some small circles from the foam/rubber sheet (about the size of a nickel - see pics).[*] Apply some epoxy to one side of the foam circle, and stick it over the hole (make sure you clean the metal surface). Do this for all 4 holes.[*] Let the epoxy cure overnight. You will be left with a small gap to fill, which I haven't done yet. What I did, however, is apply some primer and touch-up paint over the cured epoxy to see if I could just keep applying multiple coats of paint to eventually fill it, which I think I'll do (see pics).
[/ul]

If I don't like the way it turns out, I may go to a body shop to see how much they want for re-filling the holes properly or smoothing them out, and also touching up the paint.

[IMG]local://upfiles/51810/16161DCD6F074030B5077EE495FA3A74.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/51810/C43DAE3C1AEA4D51B4A10DA24AB354DE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/51810/AA0309121C5049AB9D715D9D1EB1C6D0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/51810/AAF9ED695D264DCAB2C2F8186A942BEE.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-28-2006, 10:36 PM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: my rear spoiler delete

no offense, but my opinion is...that you need to get it filled in and painted professionally. I would not be happy with it looking like that...
Old 10-29-2006, 12:05 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Good job describing the process. reference the holes left in the back..well..that's up to you and whether or not you feel Ok with them back there...me? I would get them done by a pro...[sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=insomnia.gif]
Old 10-29-2006, 04:33 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Is the last photo the finished result???
Uh, that should be covered! Not "Sano", as a friend used to say.

Also most folks are recommending cutting through the thick tape with thick fishing line. I'd recommend taping down thick paper or cloth around the area to avoid any accidents.
Also would heating the leftover tape with a hairdryer help any? It worked wonders on my sidestripes!
Old 10-29-2006, 06:43 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

If I chose to go with a spoiler delete.... I dont think I would try it on my own. My opinion is, I dont like the way yours looks right now. It would have to be perfectly flush for me --- like there was never anything there to begin with. Just JMHO

Great descriptions though!
Old 10-29-2006, 01:37 PM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

I don't see why you wanted to take it off in the first place but I would go get a new trunk without the holes if I was you. I don't want any bondo on my new ride. I would work on the hole fill-ins the noticeable paint touch up would drive me nuts.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:50 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

I don't care for rear spoilers. But I am not a do-it-yourself person...so had mine removed. Tried first to find a trunk, same color without one, but no luck. Prefer the look now. Personal preference only.

[IMG]local://upfiles/46156/0E68C361E44D43AF86E47F68785EF297.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

Why would any one want to take off a nice looking spoiler?
Old 10-30-2006, 12:03 AM
SonOfUncleSam

I think Mustangs look bare without spoilers, but good job though..
Old 10-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

I love mines without the spoiler delete... only a handful where I live dont have spoilers... I like the wider rear view visibility... Ive driven stangs with rear spoilers.. and its hard as heck to see whats behind me.. so i bought mines without.. hehe..

[IMG]local://upfiles/40863/EE6FA7BE3F54483EA02EC1979A49F16F.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: my rear spoiler delete