Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Tranny & Tuner question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 02:18 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

Default Auto Tranny & Tuner question?

Hi All. Has anyone used a tuner (or bought a pre-programmed tune) that tightens up the shift points for an 05/06 GT auto tranny? If so, just wondering if you have experienced/can report noticeable improvements in your transmission shift performance. I’m at a crossroads in my decision to go with a Granatelli CAI with a calibrated MAF sensor (their sensor electronics work with the ECM to adjust injector timing and true airflow which in turn changes load tables), or buy another CAI with a Xcal2 tuner. Here’s my situation:
(1) 2006GT auto transmission.
(2) want to stay on an 87 tune (factory?)
(3) have slight throttle lag (but understand there’s a built-in recalibration trick which may tighten this up)
(4) Only performance mods are Flowmasters exhaust and this planned CAI
So, the real question: is it worth spending $350-400 for a tuner to tighten up the throttle and shift points (and adjust ECM airflow readings if I go with non-calibrated sensor electronics and another CAI)… or just the Granatelli non-tuned CAI? Any and all input welcome. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Nixtang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Auto Tranny & Tuner question?

ORIGINAL: DoctorQ

Hi All. Has anyone used a tuner (or bought a pre-programmed tune) that tightens up the shift points for an 05/06 GT auto tranny? If so, just wondering if you have experienced/can report noticeable improvements in your transmission shift performance. I’m at a crossroads in my decision to go with a Granatelli CAI with a calibrated MAF sensor (their sensor electronics work with the ECM to adjust injector timing and true airflow which in turn changes load tables), or buy another CAI with a Xcal2 tuner. Here’s my situation:
(3) have slight throttle lag (but understand there’s a built-in recalibration trick which may tighten this up)
So, the real question: is it worth spending $350-400 for a tuner to tighten up the throttle and shift points (and adjust ECM airflow readings if I go with non-calibrated sensor electronics and another CAI)… or just the Granatelli non-tuned CAI? Any and all input welcome. Thanks.
Hey man,

I purchased a SCT tuner from Brenspeed for my '06 GT auto and couldn't be happier. Although I installed the tune at the same time I had my 4.10's installed, I can tell you that other members on here have reported vast improvements to your concerns mentioned above. The throttle lag has greatly improved, although it still "hesitates" when you stomp on it at speed - definitely not as much as it did before the tune, though. In my experience, it's a completely different car with the gears and the tune!

Every time I give it full throttle, I'm barking the tires HARD when it shifts into second and third gear. Most people on here will tell you that 4.10's are too much gear for the auto, but I drive 60 miles each day, cruising at 70 mph on the freeway (2500 rpm's), and enjoy every minute of my daily commute.

Get the programmer - you won't be disappointed!

Nick
Old 10-29-2006, 02:49 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nixtang

ORIGINAL: DoctorQ

Hey man,

I purchased a SCT tuner from Brenspeed for my '06 GT auto and couldn't be happier. Although I installed the tune at the same time I had my 4.10's installed, I can tell you that other members on here have reported vast improvements to your concerns mentioned above. The throttle lag has greatly improved, although it still "hesitates" when you stomp on it at speed - definitely not as much as it did before the tune, though. In my experience, it's a completely different car with the gears and the tune!

Every time I give it full throttle, I'm barking the tires HARD when it shifts into second and third gear. Most people on here will tell you that 4.10's are too much gear for the auto, but I drive 60 miles each day, cruising at 70 mph on the freeway (2500 rpm's), and enjoy every minute of my daily commute.

Get the programmer - you won't be disappointed!

Nick
Same here, Could not be happier with what i have done to my 07 so far. Runs like a charm and barks 2cd and 3rd also, nice and solid. I'm also looking at the gear change and thats good to know Nick on the ratio...... Thanks......
Old 10-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Nixtang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07GTEddy

Same here, Could not be happier with what i have done to my 07 so far. Runs like a charm and barks 2cd and 3rd also, nice and solid. I'm also looking at the gear change and thats good to know Nick on the ratio...... Thanks......
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm tellin ya, you will NOT be dissapointed in the 4.10's! I would've been disappointed with the 3.73's, 'cause the 4.10's are just right. When you get closer to having this done, feel free to drop me a line if you want some additional input on your gear decision...

Nick
Old 10-29-2006, 03:14 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

I went with the C&L and Brenspeed Tune as well. I got an 87,89, and 91 Octane tune. I am currently running the 87 Octane tune and let me tell you what it is amazing. The car is completely different the tranny shift very fast now and I can even grab a 1-2 bark of the tires when on the gas hard. I can only imagine what the 91 Octane tune is going to be like. Get the C&L with Brent's Tunes and you will not regret it.

Richard
Old 10-29-2006, 05:46 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the stellar feedback... good info. Tightening up the tranny is really not high on my list.. In order of importance to me: (1) add CAI and squeeze out ~20 more rwHP while maintaining save a/f ratio on 87 tune; (2) maintain/ slightly increase MPG; (3) reduce throttle-lag; (4) minimize risk of dealers pointing to aftermarket mods to void future warranty claims; (5) auto trans tune; (6) higher octane tunes. Since I only have the factory stock auto transmission settings, I was just curious if tuning the tranny shift points really is beneficial/noticeable (at both normal driving as well as WOT).
Old 10-29-2006, 07:18 PM
MR.Mustang
2nd Gear Member

I think the shift pressure is adjustable at WOT only. I have the Evoloution SCT II & JLT II combo and it is a must for the auto. Huge difference in response and performance.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:30 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MR.Mustang

I think the shift pressure is adjustable at WOT only. I have the Evoloution SCT II & JLT II combo and it is a must for the auto. Huge difference in response and performance.
No, thats not true, its adjustable at any throttle pressure. And IMO, this auto is 10 million times better than the sn95 auto but without the tuning and CAI I put on I would have traded it in on a manual by now. Tuner really stiffens up the shifts at all throttle pressures and elimates most all of the lag, which that "recalibration" BS cant do. Tuner = MUST have IMO.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:31 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

It really should be higher on your priority list. Trust me.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:30 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nixtang

ORIGINAL: 07GTEddy

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm tellin ya, you will NOT be dissapointed in the 4.10's! I would've been disappointed with the 3.73's, 'cause the 4.10's are just right. When you get closer to having this done, feel free to drop me a line if you want some additional input on your gear decision...

Nick

Thanks Nick,

Much appreciated............

Quick Reply: Auto Tranny & Tuner question?