Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between cloth and vinyl tops?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:59 AM
cdottrot

Default Difference between cloth and vinyl tops?

Did a search, but it didn't come up with what I was looking for.

I'm seriously considering a Mustang GT convertible, and on the Ford website there is an option for a cloth top, versus the stock vinyl one. What is the difference between the two? Is cloth better for colder weather areas (I'm in Ontario, Canada), or is it just a cosmetic thing?

Also, if I wanted to put the top down during the winter...is that bad for the top? I was in to a local dealership and the guy didn't really know, said his friend has one and he left it in the sun to let it warm up, then put it down. And to put it up, he did it in small stages...warming a part of the top each stage.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-30-2006, 06:37 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Difference between cloth and vinyl tops?

Cloth is better for colder weather. Vinyl will get brittle over time and is prone to cracking. There are products out there to preserve the vinyl and prolong it's life; however, vinyl is old technology, cloth is the way to go IMO; although some colors (i.e. white) are hard if not impossible to get in cloth. You won't see vinyl on BMW, Mercedes, etc.

Why would you put the top down in the winter in Canada? Anything flexible is better/more-easily operated in warmer temps, but we all know that anyway right?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Tri C
1st Gear Member

The cloth top option is only available (right now) with the black roof. If you haven't seen one yourself, it would be worth your while to do so. IMHO, it looks far nicer than the standard top and is well worth the modest additional cost.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:52 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

+1
Old 10-31-2006, 12:09 PM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

I ordered my 07 GT vert fully optioned. I went back and forth on the cloth v. vinyl top choice - and I ended up selecting vinyl.

My choice was based on maintenance. In my experience, a vinyl top on a convertible has been a no brainer. I've had a number of convertibles that have been 20+ years old with their original vinyl tops; and if taken care of - they will last forever (no cracks etc.). The other factor - for me - is that my GT is not a daily driver and I do not drive it with the top up.

Based on what I have read, vinyl seems to be a good choice. Many of the cloth top guys need to use a lint roller to keep their tops free of debris, particularly if they use a car cover.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

any pics of the black cloth top? I have the standard black vinyl and am wondering what the cloth top looks/feels like. Never seen one in person...
Old 10-31-2006, 02:41 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

having made the switch a few years ago from vinyl to cloth in boat covers, I can assure that the cloth looks better and lasts longer (though a properly maintained vinyl top can last a long time, cracking is inevitable). Cloth will not crack.

If you are not going to have the car for a long time, though, it is purely a question of aesthetic preference. Also, certain types of stains may be more easily removed from vinyl than cloth, but our vinyl is so textured that it might not be true for us.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:32 PM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Larmo

any pics of the black cloth top? I have the standard black vinyl and am wondering what the cloth top looks/feels like. Never seen one in person...
I'm pretty sure this is cloth on this car, WAS sitting all alone at a dealership. I'm pretty sure it's gone now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/44056/1F9FB81DA5AE48BD93D2CA82A5E1B836.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

Yes this is a cloth top. The color on a cloth top is much deeper. They are also nearly impossible to keep clean so I personally would never own another cloth top.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:33 AM
msully1

I have the cloth top on my 07 and it looks much better than vinyl imo. I use the 333 cleaner and fabric protector to keep it looking good and protect it.

Quick Reply: Difference between cloth and vinyl tops?