Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle-lag and Ford Dealer input

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 01:39 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Throttle-lag and Ford Dealer input

It's stored forever. The ECU stores how many times it's been accessed, it does not tell a dealer that a chip or program has been installed however. The dealer will ask you if you have one of these and you just say no and play dumb. They won't believe you of course, but they can't prove it either. Our dealership likes to blame chips for a lot of the diesel problems, but as long as it's been returned to factory settings and there is no programmer left in the vehicle (which some people have done [&:] ) there's really nothing they can do but honor warranty.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Refire05GT
1st Gear Member

OK, here is my experience, take it for what it's worth but it has helped me. I have an 05 Auto, and I had the same throttle lag that seems to be so prevalent among the Mustangs, and apparently moreso among the autos. I tried the throttle-wire reclibration "trick", but it would never seem to take. I personally don't feel that it works at all, but that's just me. My car is my daily driver, and that's one of the reasons I wanted an auto in the first place. I have had a stick before, and in rush-hour-bumper-to-bumper-stop-and-go-traffic, it gets old. There was a post a while back, from a guy who said he worked for Ford, covering a few known anomalies regarding the new Mustangs. Well after reading it, and analyzing my driving habits, I decided to try something. It took a while, but I was able to track down the original thread here https://mustangforums.com/m_1952916/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

What got my attention was how he said to NOT drive your car like a grandmother, that these were ultimately sports cars, and needed to be flexed accordingly. So, I decided to experiment a little. I started driving a lot more aggressively, I was stabbing the gas pedal a lot, hoping that the ecm would "learn" how to react to the pedal and hopefully adjust the throttle wire. I used to drive my car like I drove my SUV before it, and how I think most people end up driving an automatic, press the gas down just enough to get going, nice and easy etc, after all it is an automatic. I decided to give myself a week or two and see if I noticed any difference, and sure enough, after about the first week, I did start noticing that the throttle response had increased substantially. There was no more stomping on the gas, second or two delay, and then go. I have continued to try and drive as aggressively as possible, within reason, and not only has my throttle lag all but vanished, but I have also noticed what appears to me to be a slight increase in horsepower as well. I "feel" the pull midband. I have not ever gotten my car dynod, but now I am seriously considering it, because I want to see exactly what it is I'm putting down.

Again, take it for what it's worth, but if you are getting throttle lag, try changing your driving habits. Remember that it is a sports car, and should be driven as such. I try to WOT whenever getting on onramps to the highway, or whenever I can. You need to, excuse the pun, horsebeat her a little. Try focusing on your driving characteristics, and see if you notice any difference in performance after about a week or two.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Refire05GT

OK, here is my experience, take it for what it's worth but it has helped me. I have an 05 Auto, and I had the same throttle lag that seems to be so prevalent among the Mustangs, and apparently moreso among the autos. I tried the throttle-wire reclibration "trick", but it would never seem to take. I personally don't feel that it works at all, but that's just me. My car is my daily driver, and that's one of the reasons I wanted an auto in the first place. I have had a stick before, and in rush-hour-bumper-to-bumper-stop-and-go-traffic, it gets old. There was a post a while back, from a guy who said he worked for Ford, covering a few known anomalies regarding the new Mustangs. Well after reading it, and analyzing my driving habits, I decided to try something. It took a while, but I was able to track down the original thread here https://mustangforums.com/m_1952916/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

What got my attention was how he said to NOT drive your car like a grandmother, that these were ultimately sports cars, and needed to be flexed accordingly. So, I decided to experiment a little. I started driving a lot more aggressively, I was stabbing the gas pedal a lot, hoping that the ecm would "learn" how to react to the pedal and hopefully adjust the throttle wire. I used to drive my car like I drove my SUV before it, and how I think most people end up driving an automatic, press the gas down just enough to get going, nice and easy etc, after all it is an automatic. I decided to give myself a week or two and see if I noticed any difference, and sure enough, after about the first week, I did start noticing that the throttle response had increased substantially. There was no more stomping on the gas, second or two delay, and then go. I have continued to try and drive as aggressively as possible, within reason, and not only has my throttle lag all but vanished, but I have also noticed what appears to me to be a slight increase in horsepower as well. I "feel" the pull midband. I have not ever gotten my car dynod, but now I am seriously considering it, because I want to see exactly what it is I'm putting down.

Again, take it for what it's worth, but if you are getting throttle lag, try changing your driving habits. Remember that it is a sports car, and should be driven as such. I try to WOT whenever getting on onramps to the highway, or whenever I can. You need to, excuse the pun, horsebeat her a little. Try focusing on your driving characteristics, and see if you notice any difference in performance after about a week or two.

I would have to say that this is good information. Even with my supercharger and the Kenne Bell tune, if I drive very conservatively around town the throttle response and the boost kicks in a little later. (maybe it's in my head) As soon as I start stomping on it, which is rare cause the streets can't handle the kind of power I have, the response and the boost improves. Like I said, it could be in my head though, cause I don't have a Ford tune.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Refire05GT
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah, and one other thing, ALWAYS drive with the TCS off, unless you need it, ie rain, snow. It's not in your head.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:18 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

The 06 I drive around in is romped on at almost every light, it still has that annoying lag.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Refire05GT
1st Gear Member

Again, take it for what it's worth. It worked for me, in my 05 GT auto. Just giving some alternatives to try. Stabbing the pedal if that makes sense. I'd have a hard time believing that it was merely coincidental, and my throttle lag just happened to go away by itself.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:44 AM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

my ford guy said the adaptive driving is based on the last 20 "drives". So, yeah drive agressively and the car will relearn.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:47 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

The delay or "Lag" you could be talking about is mostly "hydraulic delay" in the transmission itself. The shift is commanded nearly immediately upon a stomp on the accelerator pedal, but it takes a finite amount of time for the shift to occur. because of the delay in the trans The computer holds off acceleration till the trans shifts, this is to prevent over reving while shifting thus preventing damagee to the trans.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:49 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

The lag is due to the PCM not allowing the throttle body to open all the way instantly. That would creat a lean condition and be potentially harmful on the engine so Ford programmed them that way to avoid that. If you take your car in to a tuner they can tune out the lag.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:34 PM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

+1 Great contribution!

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

ORIGINAL: 5IVE.OH

KEOC=Key On Engine Contribution test. Checks to see if you have any engine cylinder issues with your car.
OASIS= Online ford bulliten board system that we can use to check if there are any Technical Service Bulletins out for your vehicle. We can access this using your VIN number.
Throttle lag is normal in the newer mustangs, it's more prevelant in an auto (my friend has one I drive it all the time) it can be made nearly un-noticable with a decent tune.
I hope we will be getting lots more great info from you 5IVE.OH!
THx!

Quick Reply: Throttle-lag and Ford Dealer input