Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang with 427 Carbed Motor(Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:15 PM
markj
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 2005 Mustang with 427 Carbed Motor(Pics)

I'm an old time carb guy too. Especially on bikes. I'm just now getting into this mapping stuff. But I have to admit EFI gives you more felxability and HP than any carb setup. But you just have to love the punch of double pumpers or when the secondaries kick in. Regradless of what you like though, THAT IS ONE AWESOME FORD! What a slick car. I'm sure there are a few pennies and a lot of talent that went into it.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

OLD Technology. Frequent tune ups, spark plug replacement, points, high fuel consumption, alternators, etc., etc. No thanks, not for a daily driver. Engines like that are for the enthusiast who likes to pour money and time into their car on a non-stop basis. It looks good though.
On top of that, it's probably not an aluminum block, so he screwed the pooch on destroying the handling capability of a standard GT. Adding 200 pounds to the front end a modern Mustang altered all kinds of things, including polar moment and center of gravity. He may go like a bat-outa-hell in a straight line, but a V6 will take him on a track with curves.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Virgule

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

OLD Technology. Frequent tune ups, spark plug replacement, points, high fuel consumption, alternators, etc., etc. No thanks, not for a daily driver. Engines like that are for the enthusiast who likes to pour money and time into their car on a non-stop basis. It looks good though.
On top of that, it's probably not an aluminum block, so he screwed the pooch on destroying the handling capability of a standard GT. Adding 200 pounds to the front end a modern Mustang altered all kinds of things, including polar moment and center of gravity. He may go like a bat-outa-hell in a straight line, but a V6 will take him on a track with curves.
not necessarily, a good road course has a mixture of both straights and corners. i think his immense power will make up enough for his lack of handling in some cases, if hes a good driver and can hold it through the turns then i dont see why not. if hes got an upgraded suspension it should be able to compensate a bit for the lack of handling
Old 11-01-2006, 04:21 PM
A_Sixer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Virgule
Not sure how to take you on the v6 Bit...... I fail to see the relevancy.... and yeah, don't take this the wrong way please, but a v6 might take "you" on the straight as well.

Anyways, That is an absolute beaut!! awesome 555

And yes EFI will always produce more Hp on the same motor......
Old 11-01-2006, 04:24 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

Thanks for calling me retarded when i give my opinion on EFI creating more power and you dont agree. Give me some proof (dyno's ) on 2 engines same internal.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:35 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

i still disagree that EFI will produce more hp than a carb'ed engine. carburetors are worse for cold starts, longevity, reliability, mpg, etc. but they simply mix fuel and air in far greater quantities....more than most modern EFI can handle. look at any 8.0L engine or something ridiculously big...it's carb'ed 95% of the time. why? more hp.

in theory, maybe an EFI engine should produce more hp, but right now only the most expensive and state-of-the-art EFI's can mix fuel/air in as great of quantities as a carburetor. all the highest hp n/a engines i've seen are carb'ed...even today.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:45 PM
A_Sixer
2nd Gear Member

Power is a delicate balance, this is specially true when it comes to AF Ratios.... too much fuel or air is detrimental to achieving maximun power......

Obviously, the EFI system must be matched to the capabilities of the engine to combust the mix..... EFI has more precise, granular control of the fuel mixture than a carb will ever dream of having....... tuning becomes the crucial difference, ask any tunner about this....which method gives him/her more control over the mixture.......

that said, carbed cars are beautiful under the hood, and don't get me wrong the right tunner can perform miracles with it, but it just doesn't compare to the computational capabilities of a modern EFI system......

just my .02
Old 11-01-2006, 04:50 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: imyy4u
i still disagree that EFI will produce more hp than a carb'ed engine. carburetors are worse for cold starts, longevity, reliability, mpg, etc. but they simply mix fuel and air in far greater quantities....more than most modern EFI can handle. look at any 8.0L engine or something ridiculously big...it's carb'ed 95% of the time. why? more hp.
You mixing issues here...

While you are correct that most of the 1000HP + applications are typically carb'd, it has little to do with "more HP"

Reasons are:
1. availability of MAFs that are tuned for that quantitiy of air-flow (a function of demand for such parts, not ability to make them)

2. rules of sanctioning bodies - not a lot of 1000HP+ cars on the road, so you have to look at why people build such cars - to race them in events that have lots of rules...

So, you can disagree all you want, the level of control that EFI has over vacuum based fuel metering coupled with control over atomization and not having to tune the entire setup for one bad spot mean that apples to apples EFI makes more power...

I don't think anyone here is trying to detract from the appeal of that setup. It may not be able to turn or do much more than burn the rear tires off, but it is still cool...
Old 11-01-2006, 04:56 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Sorry to interupt the debate.... but wouldn't this have been an awesome upgrade option straight from the factory!!!!?
That motor looks hot as hell in there!! [sm=drooldude.gif]
Old 11-01-2006, 05:01 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cryptic26djp
Sorry to interupt the debate.... but wouldn't this have been an awesome upgrade option straight from the factory!!!!?
That motor looks hot as hell in there!! [sm=drooldude.gif]
I'll raise a glass to that[sm=icon_cheers.gif] - GT1000?

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang with 427 Carbed Motor(Pics)