Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what have I found this morning!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what have I found this morning!

ORIGINAL: Bish

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

BTW, what is that weird marking in the snow on the hood??? Signs? Crop formations on snow? At first it kinda looked like a Honda Emblem! You got jokers in the neighborhood?
What you are seeing is the extra support structure under the hood. Those spots are colder and the snow doesn't melt as fast from that part of the hood.
Actually its the opposite isnt it? The snow melts faster from the structure support since it sticks out close to the engine and maybe is a little warmer than the flat parts of the hood?
Old 11-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

BTW, what is that weird marking in the snow on the hood??? Signs? Crop formations on snow? At first it kinda looked like a Honda Emblem! You got jokers in the neighborhood?
What you are seeing is the extra support structure under the hood. Those spots are colder and the snow doesn't melt as fast from that part of the hood.
Really?! That's interesting.
So never having brought my own car into the snow let me ask: What do you do when you see snow like that on your new Mustang? Just leave it and hope for it to blow off or melt as you drive? What about scraping it off? Any tools or tricks you cold weather guys use? And what if there's about a foot or more of snow on the hood?
We all probably remember the guy in the movie Fargo scraping the snow, and ice, off his windshield. I think I actually have a plastic scraper! But what about the snow on the hood...
Can you guess that I live near the beach in Southern California???
Old 11-05-2006, 07:52 PM
SPOOK R/T
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Winston Wolfe

Jeez, some of you guys really need to sack-up. If you have some extra cash for a cheap beater and a place to park it, I do applaud you. At least you're taking all risk out of the equation. Wish I could do that. But I've been driving Firebirds and Camaros since 1994 everyday in Iowa, on snow, ice, you name it. No snow tires, just the regular all-season tires. This year, it's Mustang time. Anybody a little older like me remember the pre-front wheel drive and pre-four wheel drive days. You had to learn driving rear wheel drive cars year round, like the 1975 Impala I learned in. Either you figured it out, or you stayed home.

It's all about taking your time, driving steady, and keeping control of the vehicle. My 1990 Firebird handled like a greased pig in snow, with auto, no ABS or TC. Did put sandbags in the back. It was still quite a challenge, especially going uphill. But no bad episodes. The 2001 Camaro at least had ABS and TC with the auto, and it was ten times better driving that than the Firebird. No worries at all. My 2006 V6 Mustang is a manual, so I'll have to get used to that. Had a 1978 Camaro with a 4 speed manual in college and that was OK, but it was a heavier car than this Mustang is.

I'm also figuring the thinner, taller 16" 65 series tires on this Mustang will be better for getting through the deeper stuff than the fatter, lower 16" 55 series tires on that Camaro.
I 2nd that. Hell i took my 1st drivng test. In Dec 10- below zero out, with 3 feet of snow on the ground. In a dam 64 Ply Valiant. No power steering, no power brakes. And Drums all the way around. You started braking 3 blocks ahead. Just take it easy and drive level headed.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

Well I walked 3 miles to school in the rain and blowing snow .....

Old 11-05-2006, 09:50 PM
SPOOK R/T
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rupp

Well I walked 3 miles to school in the rain and blowing snow .....

Yea a real lot of snow and cold in AL. NOT!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Bish
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

Actually its the opposite isnt it? The snow melts faster from the structure support since it sticks out close to the engine and maybe is a little warmer than the flat parts of the hood?
Nope, sorry. The channels trap the air and it doesn't move. Look at the snow pattern on the hood. The thicker areas of snow match the channels, not the flat areas.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:55 AM
AirborneCZ
2nd Gear Member

Are you in the 173rd?
????