Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather seat wearing out at 4K ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 10:22 AM
redblazerx
1st Gear Member

Default Leather seat wearing out at 4K ??

Are any of you guys with leather interiors having any problems with premature wear on the drivers outside seat cover? I was looking at mine this morning and some of the leather is coming off around where your lower back would be at on the outer edge. My car only has 4,000 miles on it and it has already been to the dealership 4 times since I bought it. Just wondering if any of you other guys are seeing this.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Leather seat wearing out at 4K ??

I don't know if this is a problem from the factory or not, but I had this problem with my last mustang and I was told that you need to use a leather conditioner on your seats. I started using a conditioner and I didnt see anymore cracking afterwards. I only have 1500 miles on my car and I've already conditioned my seats once just to make sure I don't get any premature wear.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:40 AM
dtown

Conditioner definitely, definitely helps with preventing wear on the leather seats. The only downside is once you start you've got to keep doing it or it actually gets worse quickly b/c the leather dries out and get brittle.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:46 AM
redblazerx
1st Gear Member

Well I have the exterior and interior protection coverage, so I guess they will be replacing it next week.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:01 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redblazerx

Well I have the exterior and interior protection coverage, so I guess they will be replacing it next week.
Whew! You lucked out then...but to answer your question, they are suppose to last more than 4,000miles anyway.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:34 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

Under 12,000 miles Ford has to replace any item that fails your extended coverage should not have to be used.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:17 PM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

If you want to fix the problem and then maintain the looks of your seats, see if there is a 'Leather Medic' close to you. All I can say is WOW!. I had a complete BMW 740i interior including a leather tear repaired by them and all I can tell you is, it was unbelieveable!! The interior looks brand new and is holding up great... all this for only $325 total, fix, cleaning, re-dye and conditioning. It would have cost me over $4000 from an upholstery shop for new leather and installation (Costly and yes, BMW is an expensive car to fix) I'm guessing that you could have your problem fixed for much much less. Also, they do all of this right in your driveway, while you watch!!

http://www.leathermedic.com/moo.html

good luck

PS. Mine has 2800 miles and mine too was starting to show some wear. Just keep it conditioned with anhydrous, lanolin, and neetsfoot oil or other good quality conditioner. NO WAX! or other product containing wax, it will destroy the leather over time.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

I was worried about this just from noticing how much I have to "slide around" on the seat to get in and out of the car. I use conditioner on the seats more often than I wash and wax. I really soak them down good when I know I won't be driving the car for a day or two.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I'm confused. I was told the only real leather is the center inserts of the seats, the part with the little holes. The rest is vinyl.
So should we be using expensive leather cleaner/conditioners on vinyl???
I personally just use Meguir's Leather interior spray and a MF towel on most of the interior.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:22 PM
markj
1st Gear Member

I've got nearly 4k on my GT too. My dash is squeeking like crazy but my seats are okay. I have treated them a couple of times with good quality leather cleaner/conditioner. But I've noticed that the seats had some tough spots or thick spots of leather right from the get-go. You could tell they would become brittle without help. The conditioner really softened up the seats and will, hopefully, keep them in good shape.

I have always been a big fan of mink oil to protect leather but I'm not sure if would interact well with the dyes in the seats. Mink oil is a pain to apply but lasts for a long time and even privides some water protection.

Quick Reply: Leather seat wearing out at 4K ??