Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang and Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 04:52 PM
casdds11

Default RE: Mustang and Corvette

I don't think Jag is meant to compare/compete with the Vette either. Jag can't even compete with BMW. However, with Ford's economic issues I don't think they can afford to produce and market another sports car in the 50-60k range in which category the Jag and Vette are. At the end of the day most people who are going to spend 50k+ on a sports car don't necessarily want to have a Ford or Chevy emblem on the hood. I wouldn't. 43k for a Shelby yes, but not a penny more.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:21 PM
casdds11

iluvmycar, I doubt Ford is going to build more Mustang deratives that are much more expensive than a Shelby (before mark ups) or can compete in the 45+k area. One of the main reasons the GTO failed was because its price exceeded the "punk factor" at 32K. The BOSS, BULLIT, etc are going to be priced below or at the price of the current Shelby. Remember, Ford needs cash. They make and sell alot more V-6s than GTs. At 45 grand a buyer has alot of choices and I doubt Ford will be able to mass produce and sell a 45+ grand mustang. Horsepower wise they can keep up with a Vette on paper, but won't produce a version over 45 grand. These BULLIT, BOSS, SHELBY H's are just marketing gimmicks to sell cars. The current 45K Shelby can't compete with the Vette and in order for that to happen you can imagine the price would go up significantly.. This Shelby and future Mustangs will be geared towards competing against the new Camaro, Challenger, 350z and GTO. The Vette is in a league of it own. Ford has no reason to build a car to compete with it. And until it's sitting on the lot, don't count on anything from research.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:48 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: casdds11

iluvmycar, I doubt Ford is going to build more Mustang deratives that are much more expensive than a Shelby (before mark ups) or can compete in the 45+k area. One of the main reasons the GTO failed was because its price exceeded the "punk factor" at 32K. The BOSS, BULLIT, etc are going to be priced below or at the price of the current Shelby. Remember, Ford needs cash. They make and sell alot more V-6s than GTs. At 45 grand a buyer has alot of choices and I doubt Ford will be able to mass produce and sell a 45+ grand mustang. Horsepower wise they can keep up with a Vette on paper, but won't produce a version over 45 grand. These BULLIT, BOSS, SHELBY H's are just marketing gimmicks to sell cars. The current 45K Shelby can't compete with the Vette and in order for that to happen you can imagine the price would go up significantly.. This Shelby and future Mustangs will be geared towards competing against the new Camaro, Challenger, 350z and GTO. The Vette is in a league of it own. Ford has no reason to build a car to compete with it. And until it's sitting on the lot, don't count on anything from research.
Well I disagree with that... Evolution Performance has a cobra putting out 10s... the vettes around here struggle to get low 12s. Even the ones with insane work Ive only personally seen hit 11s. I worked right beside a vette custom performance shop and was always in there talkin to the guy (he wanted to do some work on my car, but I didnt wanna be a guinea pig) and he even said he had vettes with 650+ that could BARELY get 10s.

O and dont forget the other reason the GTO failed.... Its fugly.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Supernaut
2nd Gear Member

Any car can be made to go fast. It's the ones that can go fast easily that are reliable and have factory warantees.

I think that the comment about Ford making a car between the Shelby and a GT was reffering to the Ford GT supercar, not a Mustang GT.

Bring back the Pantera.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:42 PM
casdds11

Thanks Supernaut, I was referring to the Supercar GT. I was also comparing stock vehicles. In terms of the GTO, I still like it. I'm 6'5 so the headroom became an issue, however 400 hp off of the showroom floor is hard to deny. The interior is also quite slick. Happy to have my GT/CS but happier with both in my stable.. Thanks everyone, glad to be a member!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:21 AM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

They don't produce a direct corvette competitive car for one reason. If they did, no one would buy Mustangs. Thats why the Camaro and Firebird bit the dust. They would have to make the Mustang a two seater and bump the HP to 450. Then the car would cost 45 to 50 k. Ford always out sold the FireBird/Camaro by 2 to 1 with the Mustang. V6 Mustangs make up a large portion of the sales. Ford relys on the Mustang to make money and establish brand loyalty. The Mustang GT at 27-32k allows schmucks like me to buy a performance vehicle. The fake rear seats allows me to get a lower insurance rate. It all boils down to economics. BTW. If anyone has noticed. The Corvette has become a "common" car. The standard model is being bought by anyone who can get credit. Thats why GM made the Z06 to put some prestige back in the model. Only those with expendable cash can buy the Z06. Z06 owners snub the stanbard Vette commoner these days.