Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[flame suit on] - GT500 and winter tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:37 AM
peet

Default [flame suit on] - GT500 and winter tire questions

Hi all.

I'm back after a year off. I had a first year GT, traded it in for a short lease on an Audi S4. That Audi was my first detour through 4 wheel drive, and was really great. I live in Chicago, and need some good winter tires no matter what I'm in, and usually, I drive higher HP RWD cars (M3, GT, G35 etc).. Of course, all of those listed fall in the sub 500 club (by a big margin).

So here it goes. I can't afford to block it and park it, and have 20 years of experience driving in snow with RWD. Anyone here doing this with their GT500? Clearance shouldn't be an issue underneath, but I know replacement wheels are going to have to be just right due to the large calipers.

My initial reaction is to put snows on the 18's that come from the factory and buy new 19's next summer with new Z rubber.

Please share your experience - and SPARE us all the tsk tsk's that many of you are thinking. This thing, after all, is no Vayron - I'll baby it and love it, but at the end of the day, it's my daily driver.

Thanks tons in advance!!

Peet
Old 11-06-2006, 02:44 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: [flame suit on] - GT500 and winter tire questions

I doubt youll get flamed for driving less than people not believeing you have one. Anyways i think thats a good idea to put some winter rubbe ron the stock wheels then get some ultralites or even carbon fiber rims for summer o_O
Old 11-06-2006, 02:48 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Well I'm not really familiar with the ins and outs of snow/ice driving....being from Louisiana. But if you're gonna put a new Shelby into winter duty, I'd imagine I'd have to go for the best snow shoes money can buy that will fit on the rims. Do they make snow shoes in 295/45/18's?[8D]

Another thing....I don't know if the underside of the GT500's get a better coating than the standard GT's, but you may want to look into getting the whole undercarriage of that thing painted/powder coated before putting her out onto the snow/ice/salt/sand blazened roads. I'd put that as my highest priority before the winter even hits it full force. Do it straight from the dealership if you can. You'll thank me
Old 11-06-2006, 03:20 AM
dom92880
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

Do they make snow shoes in 295/45/18's?[8D]
NOOOOOOO!!! Even if they did make winter tires in that size, get the thinnest width tires you can get for the rims. The reason is the same as snow shoes--the wider they are, the more spread out the weight is on the pavement/snow. While that's great for summer weather, this will give the same effect as snow shoes. You will ride more or less on top of the snow as opposed to cutting through it and making contact with pavement. And, if you've even done a donut in the snow, it's all lots of fun unless you're trying to drive straight.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:24 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

lol I was just kidding dude. I don't know much about snow tires......but I "DO" know you don't want them to be wide.[8D]
Old 11-06-2006, 04:19 AM
MarioP3_XR4Ti
1st Gear Member

Well, when you've worn it out thoroughly, the shell is all rusty call me and I'll buy it. That'll be the only way I'll ever get a GT 500...

Meanwhile, enjoy the heck out of it. Cars are meant to be driven, not parked in a museum and just gawked at. I've never driven a 500 HP car, though I had a 70 Chevelle SS454 with the 450 HP engine (back when it was still flywheel HP), Muncie M22 4 speed, 4.11:1 final drive AND I was quite young, so stupid things happened often [but I thought it was fun...]. But I drove it winter and summer, just put some snows on it. And it was still the 70s so the winter tires sort of sucked. Just use caution - you're probably not going to have a problem, but the idiots driving around you you gotta watch out for. They'll be so busy admiring your ride (and possibly wondering why you're driving it in winter conditions) to actually take care driving.

Just buy the best, narrowest winter rubber that'll fit the wheels. I know that studs are illegal there (or I believe they are) but think of the burnouts with studs...
Old 11-06-2006, 11:13 AM
5speed
2nd Gear Member

I am unsure if they make winter tires in that size, but I am running Dunlop Winter Sport M3's on my 99 GT Vert and they are awesome. I live in Michigan, and last winter I didn't even have to weight down the rear end when using these tires. Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:25 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

WHAT KIND OF JERK BUYS A GT500 AND DRIVES IT IN THE SNOW?!?!?!?

Just kidding. I didn't want your flame suit to be wasted, and since nobody flamed you yet, I felt the need.

In addition to some good skinny all season or snow tires (front and rear), my recommendation would include a couple of 50 pound bags of buckshot or birdshot; put them in your spare tire well (on top of the spare tire rim if the car comes with a spare; does the GT500 even come with a spare?)
Old 11-06-2006, 10:40 PM
peet

LOL! Thanks all. I appreciate the warm feedback - even the 6xS jab

I actually haven't gotten it yet. I'm in an interesting situation. 9 months left on lease on the S4. The way the money shook out, if I bail now and pay off the remaining months on the lease, I'm actually UP almost $6k! WOOT!

So I've started lightly looking around for what's next. I enjoyed the GT - but I also miss my old M3 (had an e36). Right now the GT500 is the most practical (if you can imagine that!) on my lineup. It can actually carry my 3 kids LOL. If not that, then the Z4MCoupe - not sure which way yet. Would have gone Z06 - but no winterability on that pup.

In my area, there are 4-5 coupes and about 6 verts so I can find one easily enough - - then, of course the argument for paying list price starts. Sheesh.

Well - if any of you GT500 owners do this - chimeback with specifics on what fits. Ideally, 17's with nice skinny tires will work.

Later!