Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LESSONS LEARNED THE HARD WAY - MY NASTY WRECK

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 07:37 PM
phrkshw
2nd Gear Member

Default LESSONS LEARNED THE HARD WAY - MY NASTY WRECK

let this be a lesson for all of you. i had a perfect driving record. not one ticket, not one accident. hadnt so much as accidently backed into something.

all it takes is ONE slow reaction time and you get this.

what happened was my *** end got loose because some sprinklers had wet the roadway. I was making a right hand turn and shifted into 2nd in the water. She went sideways, i countersteared back towards the left but it was too late, my right front tire went up a support wire for a power-pole and then the car stopped moving forward - which is why im still alive. The car fell on its side, then rolled over on its top. We were in the road, wheels up. The head rests were the only thing holding the car a few inches off the ground - just enough to open a door and crawl out.

i went up the bottom wire, on the way down the bumper was ripped off on the pole.

shows you how flat she got once she was over.

i landed pretty hard on that curb, sideways

keep im mind i was going VERY slow when this happened, which is why i am alive. Had i been doing anything stupid on top of what happened i would be dead. No doubts in my mind.
like i said, let this be a lesson for all of you. BE CAREFUL!!!
on the bright side, ill be purchasing an 07 GT in a few days...

EDIT: I just cleaned up the thread title a bit - 28HopUp
Old 11-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: [b]LESSONS LEARNED THE HARD WAY - MY NASTY WRECK[/b]

Any wreck you can walk away from is a good wreck..
Old 11-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Holly Crap, Thank God Your Ok!! Wow that must have been some scary stuff.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:56 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Wow, glad to see that youre ok! Thats crazy about going up the wire... I know someone who reversed up a guide wire once.. stinks to see a pony crushed like that, and its amazing what can happen to a car even in a slow wreck.

On a side note... after this experience will your 07 be a coupe?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:58 PM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

Glad you didn't get hurt and was able to get out from underneath it...is the new GT going to be a coupe? I have had two convertible GT's in the past, and it was always in the back of my mind what happened to you, with the windshield as the only support should it end up on its lid. Look forward to seeing pics of your new ride.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:58 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

First of all, glad you're ok. Cars can be replaced but people can't; and it looks like that's what you'll be doing. I just have one question but also a concern. You said you were going slow and "...making a right hand turn and shifted into 2nd in the water. She went sideways..."
Did you have TCS off? Either way, I wouldn't expect to go sideways on wet roads shifting into second in any vehicle; unless it's a higher rpm, harder shift sequence. I haven't been on a wet road yet with mine but this implies that the car is very unstable on wet pevement. Sounds like you were surprised when this happened(particularly given your excellent driving record)... Is it that unstable?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

I thought the windshield pillars were supposed to support the weight of a convertible? Apparently not?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:15 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Even in my auto on the stock Pirellis, if I give any gas at all coming around a corner (even at speeds around 5-10 mph w/TCS ON) the rear end wants to fly out. And my tires are nowhere near bald. I really wish I had the money to switch out the rims and tires because I cant get any traction at all, especially if its wet. I cant even imagine how hard its going to be to get traction once I add more power.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

So how long have you been driving? When i was 17 I had no tickets, accidents either, then i turned 17 and a half.

I too thought the pillars would support the car, i'm guessing one of those just for looks roll bars wouldn't do much either.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:28 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

Sobering story. Glad to hear you're ok.

I thought the windshield/A-pillars were designed to withstand a rollover. Good to know the seat backs held up (wonder if they were designed to do so or if that was just fortunate luck). I've thought about what would happen if my vert went upside down...

Also, what are the stock tires are on new GTs? Just wondering if they're decent wet traction tires. I had the rear end on my '90 LX come around on a fairly slow right turn because the road was damp from a light sprinkling rain and because I dropped into 2nd gear. Luckily nothing happened except a 180 spin. Shortly after that, I dumped my stock Goodyear Gatorbacks and got Dunlops. For the past 15 years, my Mustangs have only had Michelins or Dunlops and I've(luckily) have never had much trouble with wet traction (except at WOT).

Quick Reply: LESSONS LEARNED THE HARD WAY - MY NASTY WRECK