Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro and Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 03:20 AM
gothikka
1st Gear Member

Default Camaro and Mustang

I made a post about a week ago asking why Ford didnt make a car to compete with the Corvette. I got a ton of good feedback so I thought I would ask another question. You guys are going to have to bear with me here....I've been stuck int he Middle East for 6 months and have to have something to keep my mind occupied. lol

here goes.....When the new Camaro comes out in 2008 and has 400+ stock HP what do you think ford will do with the Mustang GT to compete? Will they drop a blower on it or make a NA 350+ HP car? Do you think the new Camaro will hurt Mustang sales or do you think Ford will win the pony car race again? Last but not least.....what makes the Mustang sell so well? What did Ford do that GM didnt to make the Mustang sell so well.

I personally would like to see a NA car from Ford. Loved the 03 04 cobra but its old news now. I think they should put a bigger displacement engine in the mustang with some really aggressive exhaust....that would really draw me in.

I dont think chevy has a chance in hell with their new camaro. Its going to be just like the GTO. The GTO is a damn nice car but for some reason they didnt sell for ****....I think the camaro is going to be the same way.

---This thread is for my ammusment only--
Old 11-08-2006, 03:25 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Camaro and Mustang

on car crazy they interviewed steve saleen and he said the next gen gts will have 350 hp. But thats not gonna be enough to compete with the camaro. But imsure the maro is gonna cost more too.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:43 AM
gothikka
1st Gear Member

Ya never know dude....the new Camaro looks like its going to be a tank. The GTO has 400+ hp and runs high 13s. I think its possible for the stang to compete with 350 HP.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:00 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gothikka

When the new Camaro comes out in 2008 and has 400+ stock HP what do you think ford will do with the Mustang GT to compete?

Will they drop a blower on it or make a NA 350+ HP car?

Do you think the new Camaro will hurt Mustang sales or do you think Ford will win the pony car race again?

Last but not least.....what makes the Mustang sell so well? What did Ford do that GM didnt to make the Mustang sell so well.

I personally would like to see a NA car from Ford. Loved the 03 04 cobra but its old news now. I think they should put a bigger displacement engine in the mustang with some really aggressive exhaust....that would really draw me in.
Ford has another Mustang scheduled to debut, most likely with a bigger engine and dropped weight.

They already have a Shelby GT 350 that is supposed to make 350 N/A with another model to come as well in 08.

I think it will hurt Stang sales first but then boost them once Ford unveils their weapon.

Mustang sells so well because it appears to a wide audience. GM has this thing where they dont concentrate on a very broad audience. They dont get it that not every Tom, Dick and Jane out there wants a 6.0L V8 that gets 14 mpg w/ exhaust that sounds like an old steam locomotive. O, and their cars are also fugly.

Id love to see this as well. All we can do now is hope.

*Edit
Old 11-08-2006, 05:05 AM
skiba5546
1st Gear Member

Ford created the GT500 to compete with corvettes, but the Camaro as well as the new Challenger are going to be competition for the GT. An idea being tossed around is to slip the N/A 5.4 found in ford trucks into the GT, but they'll probably keep the 300 horse 4.6. The v6, however, will probably get the european 3.5 that makes around 260 hp, and about that much tourqe. Ford also hopes the 2009 redesign will help sales (but I personally don't like it).
Old 11-08-2006, 07:52 AM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

ford gt to compete with vettes now its the shelby..and gto's dont run high 13's they run about low 13's...
Old 11-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Nadelle
3rd Gear Member

No replacement for displacement, I think ford should consider making a big bore 5.0L Mod motor, with displacemnet on demand. They could feasably get better mileage and more power.

GM has this thing where they dont concentrate on a very broad audience. They dont get it that not every Tom, Dick and Jane out there wants a 6.0L V8 that gets 14 mpg w/ exhaust that sounds like an old steam locomotive
^^^Yes this is true, The third gen Camaro/Firebird was a huge success becouse it looked bitchen and it had a wide appeal, many engine choices from wild to mild. The Fox mustang was an even bigger success becouse it offerd alot of standerd features and equal if not more base power, easier driving dynamics and great looks for alot less money than the F-Twins.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:10 PM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

bl1nkage, I believe you underestimate the LS motor's fuel efficency. They are not that much worse than ours.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:29 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

yep gm has some nice technologies to help mileage where as ford just puts a smaller motor. those 6.0l engines i bet get around the same mileage as your 4.6 gt
Old 11-08-2006, 08:30 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skiba5546

Ford created the GT500 to compete with corvettes, but the Camaro as well as the new Challenger are going to be competition for the GT. An idea being tossed around is to slip the N/A 5.4 found in ford trucks into the GT, but they'll probably keep the 300 horse 4.6. The v6, however, will probably get the european 3.5 that makes around 260 hp, and about that much tourqe. Ford also hopes the 2009 redesign will help sales (but I personally don't like it).

that is not going to happen. if the v6 is bumped to that motor, the gt may actually end up being about just as fast because that will drop the 6's weight even more by a few hundred pounds and they will sell ZERO gt's. if they bump up the v6 (which they are going to have to do) they will bump up the gt. expect at least 350 horses out of the gt's next model.

Quick Reply: Camaro and Mustang