Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PONTIAC SOLSTICE

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Burke0011
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: PONTIAC SOLSTICE

They are built off the same platform but the Solstice was released first - they are similar but not exactly the same - the Sky is supposed to ride and handle better andf truthfully, I LOVE the look of the car - sat in two of them at the Miami auto show and they were cool - the Redline should be pretty damn neat. If I had throw away money, I'd be open to getting one as a weekend 2 seat cruiser.....
Old 11-08-2006, 03:17 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

I looked at the Solstice when I was shopping for the Mustang. If it had a trunk I may have been driving it instead of the Stang. But after having my Mustang for 3 months now I'm damn glad I bought it instead.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:46 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Nope.. I smoke SRT-4's on the street all day long. I'm sure I would smoke one of these both on and off the track. Until they start modding them and find out how much boost they can handle I'm not even going to flinch near one. When they start getting them in the low 13's high 12's I'll start to take notice.. Till then shu fly don't bother me
Old 11-08-2006, 05:28 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vsop

Nope.. I smoke SRT-4's on the street all day long. I'm sure I would smoke one of these both on and off the track. Until they start modding them and find out how much boost they can handle I'm not even going to flinch near one. When they start getting them in the low 13's high 12's I'll start to take notice.. Till then shu fly don't bother me

WOW!! your MODDED Mustang can beat a STOCK Solstice/Sky. That's something you hear ricers brag about....not Mustang owners. Stock Mustang GT's don't SMOKE stock SRT-4's and Cobalt SS's. Yes, the stang is faster....but only by a little. Unless you are talking about being at least a full second faster to 60mph or in the 1/4 mile......fractions of a second are not considered "smoking" the other guy.

I would get some more mods for your stang if I were you......it's very easy to increase boost which means modded Redline Sky and GXP Solstice will being prowling the streets with over 300hp very cheaply and easily.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

Solstice are a joke. just another saturn clone ****box from gm. The second day I had my stang I raced a solstice, it was a guy I work with who thinks he riced his up good with intake and fart can. Froma 25 or so mile roll on and with him jumping first it was a joke by the time I hit 4th gear I was 3 to 4 cars out front. I have had better attempts from neons then that pontiac
Old 11-08-2006, 08:28 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tdappleman

The Solstice is certainly not a limited production car - either in base or GXP form. It's also going to be marketed as the Saturn Sky and as an Opel in Europe. While it does have 260hp/260 lb/ft - it also weighs 3000 lbs. Car and Driver has the 0-60 at 5.6 sec and the 1/4 mile at 14.2 - so unless we have a bad driver in the Mustang we're going to take them with little problems. One thing to keep in mind is the automatic makes the car a little faster since you can power brake it to get boost before you start - various magazines are saying about .3 faster to 60 and a 14.0 in the 1/4. Who knows - will be fun to see - also will be interesting to see what type of mods come out for these things.
Yea none of them are really limited, I think they are up to 3000 a month between the pontiac an saturn and there will be a Opel badged on in Europe and a Daewoo version in Asia so limited it is not. And GM has already stated they are trying to bump production numbers up on the car.

The GXP is slated at 260hp/260trq which is not bad for a small car like that and are only about 3000lbs so yea it might be close, lets not forget that that is the ecotec which if he slaps a boost controller and high flow exhaust on he will easily make back more than the 40hp diffrence. In anycase as far as potential goes the Mustang always will win out.

ORIGINAL: Ruffnuts

Solstice are a joke. just another saturn clone ****box from gm. The second day I had my stang I raced a solstice, it was a guy I work with who thinks he riced his up good with intake and fart can. Froma 25 or so mile roll on and with him jumping first it was a joke by the time I hit 4th gear I was 3 to 4 cars out front. I have had better attempts from neons then that pontiac
Well since the Solstice was first ;P anyway Im impressed you can beat up a little kid on the road. Is his car even a GX or Redline? If not it would be only running 160hp which is like pickig on a 12 year old in a parking lot. But hey I was just told as I was writing this that if you want to race a Solstice there is a race here for you in the spring @ MIR (Maryland International Raceway) or Capitol Raceway. I am being told not to tell you anything other than the car was bought only 5 months ago was a floor Base Model at the dealer.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:52 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Once again it seems that half the posts here are done by folks who have no idea what they are talking about!
The Saturn Sky is an average sporty convertible. The Saturn Sky Redline is a turbocharged 260 hp, 5.5 sec 0-60 convertible that has independent rear suspension. Compare it to the GT Vert. They perform very similarly, if stock. But they appeal to different types of people. I haven't seen any Redlines yet, while there are tons on Mustang Convertibles. I built a Redline with the options I wanted for about $31K, which beats the price for a GT Vert. It's smaller, not as safe and roomy as the Mustang, but should handle better. It's still an American car so I would expect the same type of poor build quality.

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/sky/redLine.jsp
Old 11-09-2006, 10:05 PM
pork
1st Gear Member

looked at the solstice before I bought the GT. Magazine reviews weren't very positive. Interiors were described as cheap looking, uncomfortable, and noisy. There were also issues with steering & suspension. Dealer wanted me to pay a $2500 premium for the Solstice, told him to pound salt & bought the GT on the Z plan........
Old 11-10-2006, 12:58 AM
natuning

The Solstice is not a bad car. Actually, its biggest flaw when first introduced was insufficient powerplant. The GPX was supposed to address... From the design standpoint, I actually like it but what turns me down is the michey mouse top. It looks like someone did that in his garage. Not worthy of a company like GM... Long live the Mustang
Old 11-10-2006, 01:35 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

the funny thing is that my pop's lamborghini gallardo is bigger and still is ligther than the solstice! lol

Quick Reply: PONTIAC SOLSTICE